VW reacting fast, heads will roll.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is nothing wrong with the car, I would keep it and shut my mouth. Kinda like the vet offering me something to cure my dog's constipation. Why mess up a good thing, doc? VW did it right by the consumer, so why mess it up? I would only unload the car if it was a lemon. My state doesn't even do emissions testing on anything, so they could give a rip if I kept the car.

Wondering how much emissions we are talking about? I talked to a lot of people driving diesel pickups after the low sulfur change, complaining about a big drop in milage. So if that's the case we are going through more fuel, saving how much emissions? Not to mention the increase in fuel cost at the pump. I hate to see VW and the people who work for them go through this, and still don't know how much pollution were talking about. Then on the other hand we have an Secretary of State expose our counties secrets, but that's ok. What a mess.

The fuel economy for diesels really took a nose dive when the manufacturers had to start using the DEF in order to meet the new EPA requirements on nox emissions. Yes, the DPF and EGR also rob the fuel economy. This DEF crap is giving me 2 MPG less in my 2012 Duramax vs what I was getting in my 2008 Duramax which only had the DPF.

Not much. The levels between what VW was putting out with the 2010 emissions setups were only a minuscule more than the EPA was mandating. But the government doesn't believe in minuscule, and this whole thing is nothing more than making an example of VW and make them toe the line. They did the same thing with Navistar a couple of years ago, and the differences between what the engines were putting out and the EPA mandated levels were almost inconsequential also. Mere fractions of a point.

Even with the levels VW was putting out, it is almost nothing compared to diesel levels of pre 2003 diesels before EGR showed up. It is common knowledge among those in trucking technology sector, that the current diesel engines, it takes almost 100 of them to match the same emissions of just 1 engine from MY 2000 of the same class of engine. So what that VW's current engines, it took only 90 of them to match 1 engine at the turn of the century. Talk about straining at gnats.

And folks, that is how ridiculous this has become. The EPA wants the air going out the tail pipe to be cleaner than the air going in the intake. And there will be hell to pay for stepping out of bounds.

• 2 weeks later...

If there is nothing wrong with the car, I would keep it and shut my mouth. Kinda like the vet offering me something to cure my dog's constipation. Why mess up a good thing, doc? VW did it right by the consumer, so why mess it up? I would only unload the car if it was a lemon. My state doesn't even do emissions testing on anything, so they could give a rip if I kept the car.

I wanted out of the car before the news hit. I started new vehicle shopping in August 2015. Once the news hit In September , I was stuck with it. Well...either that, or pretty much give it away.

I traded an older truck in on this car. I just want back into a truck. My commute is half of what it was when I bought the car, so I'll just deal with the fuel bill. At this point...literally the only thing I will not miss when I finally get out of it is the fuel economy.

Edit:

Not much. The levels between what VW was putting out with the 2010 emissions setups were only a minuscule more than the EPA was mandating. But the government doesn't believe in minuscule, and this whole thing is nothing more than making an example of VW and make them toe the line. They did the same thing with Navistar a couple of years ago, and the differences between what the engines were putting out and the EPA mandated levels were almost inconsequential also. Mere fractions of a point.

Even with the levels VW was putting out, it is almost nothing compared to diesel levels of pre 2003 diesels before EGR showed up. It is common knowledge among those in trucking technology sector, that the current diesel engines, it takes almost 100 of them to match the same emissions of just 1 engine from MY 2000 of the same class of engine. So what that VW's current engines, it took only 90 of them to match 1 engine at the turn of the century. Talk about straining at gnats.

And folks, that is how ridiculous this has become. The EPA wants the air going out the tail pipe to be cleaner than the air going in the intake. And there will be hell to pay for stepping out of bounds

Cowpie, on 11 Jul 2016 - 4:58 PM, said
From an environmental standpoint...this is a joke. In the grand scheme of things, this car is a LOT cleaner than much of the vehicles out there. The EPA has been gunning for diesel passenger vehicles for a long time and VW gave them this witch hunt on a silver platter.
That being said...do some research about the leadership and managerial style of Volkswagen (the group...not just the company). To say that they're an arrogant bunch would be the understatement of the century.

• 2 weeks later...

When you read the settlement, it all becomes clear that this is more about penalizing VW than actually addressing their vehicle emissions. They have to put several billion dollars purely into remediation and a pool to "promote" vehicle emissions technology. Read that as they have to pay for the competition to develop more emissions technology. Kinda along the line of because you were caught chewing gum in class, now you have to provide gum for everyone else. That is all the EPA is really about anyway, penalizing those that don't toe the party line. Can everyone say Sieg Heil?

• 4 weeks later...

When you read the settlement, it all becomes clear that this is more about penalizing VW than actually addressing their vehicle emissions. They have to put several billion dollars purely into remediation and a pool to "promote" vehicle emissions technology. Read that as they have to pay for the competition to develop more emissions technology. Kinda along the line of because you were caught chewing gum in class, now you have to provide gum for everyone else. That is all the EPA is really about anyway, penalizing those that don't toe the party line. Can everyone say Sieg Heil?

The timing was convenient. The EPA dumped an immense amount of mining chemicals into the Colorado River, turning it funky colors and doing what I'm sure was incredible damage to the environment. Shortly after this, the VW "scandal" broke.

I will say it is nice to buy a used car and know that I'm making $10k when I sell it back to VW.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hope your not doing it now. There is a cutoff date, a few months after scandal broke. If you bought one recently, you could see as little as $2,500 for the buyback

Hope your not doing it now. There is a cutoff date, a few months after scandal broke. If you bought one recently, this won't end well for you.

Only cutoff date I'm aware of is June 28th. Is the owner sold the car after that they are not entitled to any compensation. What is the date you are speaking about? Can you link to the official documentation please.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Archived