Still Not Sold On A Catch Can? Check Here...

Can you buy one of these and install it on a truck? I'm guessing that they would be more money, but am curious.

I dont know of any OEM catch cans, he may be confusing the dry sump oil systems for a catch can.

Can you buy one of these and install it on a truck? I'm guessing that they would be more money, but am curious.

I have a 2015 Corvette Z51 with the dry sump and they do not have a catch can. The same debate is also on the Corvette Forum ...including dry Vs wet sump.

I have an Elite to install on both my Corvette and my Denali -just haven't done it yet.

I think you are real confused, all the air for this engine isnt passing through this can??? Only a very small fraction of that combusted air gets passed the cylinder rings referred to as blow by. This contains contaminants, unburnt fuel, air etc. This pressurizes the crank case and we dont want excessive pressure in the crankcase it will come out somewhere like a seal and cause a leak. This is what the PCV(postiive crankcase ventilation) system is used for. To bleed off that pressure. This used to be vented to atmosphere but not good environmentally so it was routed into the intake and passes through the engine again.

Issue with that is those contaminants and a fine oil mist is now dumping into the intake and coating everything including the intake valve on its way into the cylinder. With direct injection no fuel is washing that off the back of the valve, the fuel is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber. So we use the catch can to try to filter some to all of that oil contaminated mist out of the PCV system before it enters the intake.

lol...not confused.

Just thinking around to many corners and getting carried away.

Thanks for bringing me back on track.

:)

so long

j-ten-ner

My Elite Engineering can with clean side separator is on its way. I'll grab some pics, but this site seems to have some clean installs already posted.

Is this an E2-X? I don't see the Sierra 5.3/6.2 listed under the E2-X on their web site. Which model did you get?

Thanks

Is this an E2-X? I don't see the Sierra 5.3/6.2 listed under the E2-X on their web site. Which model did you get?

Thanks

I ordered the standard can which they list as the "good" can on their site. Since my application is stock I didn't see the need for an extra volume can/check valve. A check valve is key in a forced induction application so that under boost, you don't pressurize the crankcase (causing oil leaks, and if you have a turbo, drain problems).

I got an Elite E2-X for my 2014 5.3. The model was E2x-A2SVP4 and I just put in the notes before I ordered that it was for a 2014 Silverado. They included everything you need and I didn't have to buy anything extra to make it work. I confirmed the model with Steve @ Elite before I ordered and he answered all of my questions. Very clean install all said and done from what they provided.

Edited by Brianibew
  • Like 2

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is incorrect. RX speedworks, is using a knock off can, press fit, made in china. And is selling it under the RX name and brand.

The original RX can (made by RevExtreme performance), is still around, but they have taken down their website and are not selling direct anymore until the debacle with RX speedworks is resolved.

From what I understand, RX speedworks is owned by two ex-employees of RevExtreme whoe were disgruntled over some issues. And decided to start their own company. The original RX company is based out of Palmetto, FL. Where the RX speedworks is operating out of Sarasota, FL.

I have been in contact with Tracy via email. I think you may be getting some of your facts mixed up. He is on the forums under user name 'GDI Tech'. He has been active over in the Catch Can thread. I would suggest you read through the last 10 or so pages of that thread and see the issues first hand with the RX speedworks can. Its basically just glued together. It is not anywhere near the same construction as my original RevExtreme can which is all one solid unit (as seen in my videos on youtube).

Read post #1221 on page 82, by GDI Tech.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/154204-oil-catch-can/page-82

interesting, I physically drove to Palmetto to get my can and had them put it on, im only about 20 miles from them give or take. I should prob drive down to see if they will do a clean side for me, the elite cans are just way to expensive for me

I got an Elite E2-X for my 2014 5.3. The model was E2x-A2SVP4 and I just put in the notes before I ordered that it was for a 2014 Silverado. They included everything you need and I didn't have to buy anything extra to make it work. I confirmed the model with Steve @ Elite before I ordered and he answered all of my questions. Very clean install all said and done from what they provided.

Thanks for the help. Is yours the single exit port or the dual model?

Along the lines of how much oil is still being sent to the engine after it exits the elite catch can, has anyone added a second CC inline with the first to see if it actually catches anything more...maybe elite can send me a second one for free so I can test this scenario....

Edited by schmolf4