OEM Articulating steps on 2016 Silverado LTZ

Hi All,

I've been searching around to no avail. Has anyone tried to obtain the power articulating assist steps they show on the HC/Denali, the ones which swing back for bed access?

I recently picked up a 2016 Silverado LTZ with no steps/nerf bars on it. I've been shopping around for different options. I really like the look and functionality of these but haven't been able to find part numbers or if there's any reason they couldn't be installed on a non HC/Denali.

Thanks for any input.

Mark Huber

• Like 1

Unless you specifically want the ability to transition rearward to also act as a bedstep(as the factory ones do), I would buy the Amp Research ones. They will be at least half the price and actually do what deplorable boards should, hide while not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stepped on a few these 2016 swing out steps on the GM trucks at the auto show here last year, Chevy and GMC.

I didn't like that they wiggled at each of the stop positions when you stepped on them. Reminded me of stepping on a shaky ladder and didn't instill confidence.

I want my side steps to be rock solid.

Now, it could be that someone will say that is normal because the show trucks are abused by the attendees, but a feature like that should be bullet proof in my opinion.

I'd wait till the second generation of these or go with the tried and true Amps.

• 1 year later...

You wont be able to get the OEM to work, they are controlled thru the BCM. While you can get the steps and all of the hardware you wont be able to get the BCM re-flashed to control them.

You wont be able to get the OEM to work, they are controlled thru the BCM. While you can get the steps and all of the hardware you wont be able to get the BCM re-flashed to control them.

That is exactly what my dealer service guy told me. I guess you will have to buy a truck with the factory ones already on it?

That's also what my dealer told me about adding the trailer mirrors but they were wrong. My dealer told me it would be thousands to get towing mirrors to work I did it for $700

Dealers do not want to do custom work not really sure why if you tell a customer what the real cost is they may want to do the work. Unfortunately the techs in the dealers today only know what a computer tells them follow the steps, if they do not have instructions on how to do something they do not want to do it, maybe because they work on book time and there is no book time for custom work.

Simply you do not need your BCM programed for the AMP steps. you can follow where to get a door trigger what else is needed? power and Ground. Pretty sure I can figure it out.

The AMP steps plug into the ALDL / OBDII port in order to trigger, which has caused issues with previous trucks. This isn't a matter of the dealers / techs not wanting to do the work. The matter is the OEM steps require programming from the BCM to work.

So if you want to be the test subject go ahead and do it for everyone. I bet you will have way more than the AMP steps involved before it is all said and done.

The BCM just controls all the functions for the truck. Would be relatively straightforward to bypass it by wiring directly if you wanted to install the OEM steps.

I think you would have to luck out tremendously to get them for a decent price.

You might try swinging by a dealership and crawling underneath a truck that has them to try and get the part #s.

Anyone have experience with the Bestop wireless steps? I like the idea of wireless, but if I recall, their original wired steps weren't getting great reviews.

https://www.bestop.com/gmc/2015/sierra-1500/truck-powerboard-nx-wifi/body-type/crew-cab/

Sent from my kayak