Trailer hitch recall for 14/15's with Z82

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At last check, my truck was still not on this recall list. I'm starting to think that if it's not included in the end, maybe I'll just buy a good quality hitch like a Reese or drawtite or something like that? I'm not overly impressed with the construction of the stock hitch anyway, it seems lightweight to me.

Just a thought

-G

Mine was replaced Monday. Lots of little weld splatter, and a crappy paint job. I'm sure it will be all rusty by this time next year, after a Michigan (salt capitol of the world) winter.

Thankfully mine isn't one. I looked on the GM recall site and it said no recalls or programs and mine does have the Z82. Mine was built/assembled in late '13 in the Fort Wayne IN plant so a US "built" truck.

Do we know that Fort Wayne gets it's hitches from a supplier plant in the US?

Do we know that Fort Wayne gets it's hitches from a supplier plant in the US?

Don't know about that but, mine was built in Ft. Wayne in Aug 2013, and it was on the recall. I'm thinking there were at least 2 different suppliers, since some are on the recall list, and some are not.

Thankfully mine isn't one. I looked on the GM recall site and it said no recalls or programs and mine does have the Z82. Mine was built/assembled in late '13 in the Fort Wayne IN plant so a US "built" truck.

I wouldn't trust just that site. Mine didn't come up on there until after the dealer confirmed mine was on the list and ordered the replacement. Then it came up after the part was ordered. Was about a week or so wait for the part to come in, then had it replaced last Monday. Just checked the GM recall site, and it is all clear again.

I think they are notifying people in waves, when they go in for service. Sounds weird but that is how the replacements are coming in. I work with a bunch of guys that have 2014 Chevys, and none of them even knew about it. There hasn't been any mail notification that I am aware of. I think they started with the Max Trailering Packages first, since they are more likely to be hauling a heavy trailer, then going in stages from earliest builds, and working from there. Purely speculation on my part but, I was the first to own a 2014 of all the people I work with, by several months.

I wouldn't trust just that site. Mine didn't come up on there until after the dealer confirmed mine was on the list and ordered the replacement. Then it came up after the part was ordered. Was about a week or so wait for the part to come in, then had it replaced last Monday. Just checked the GM recall site, and it is all clear again.

I think they are notifying people in waves, when they go in for service. Sounds weird but that is how the replacements are coming in. I work with a bunch of guys that have 2014 Chevys, and none of them even knew about it. There hasn't been any mail notification that I am aware of. I think they started with the Max Trailering Packages first, since they are more likely to be hauling a heavy trailer, then going in stages from earliest builds, and working from there. Purely speculation on my part but, I was the first to own a 2014 of all the people I work with, by several months.

I might call the dealer tomorrow and just see what they say.

My truck has yet to show up on the gm website so i called my dealer this weekend and they confirmed my truck is not on the list. 10/14 Mexican build.

I might call the dealer tomorrow and just see what they say.

Southern, me and you pretty much have the same truck and built about the same time and mine is on the recall list. Even called my local dealer to confirm.

Southern, me and you pretty much have the same truck and built about the same time and mine is on the recall list. Even called my local dealer to confirm.

Just called my dealer and she said it's not on the recall.

EDIT: I actually just called another dealer that I've dealt with before and mine wasn't on the list either. So I've checked with both the GM and Chevy recall sites and 2 dealers and none are saying I'm on the list.

There might not be a "rule of thumb" with which trucks are needing replacement hitches. Mine is also Ft Wayne Oct. '13 build, and my hitch was replaced.

There might not be a "rule of thumb" with which trucks are needing replacement hitches. Mine is also Ft Wayne Oct. '13 build, and my hitch was replaced.

I've looked on the GM and Chevy recall sites and also called 2 dealers and not on the list any of the times. Mine was build early November of 2013 at the Fort Wayne IN plant. I'm sure the hitch is one of those things that are maybe scanned with a barcode so they know the exact hitch that went on that certain truck. I'm just speculating because as it's been shown on here that it's all over the place on rather someone has the recall or not.

Archived