Anyway to fix Chevy Lean?

This will hide the problem once he confirms he has a problem. At one time I was sure I had a 3/4 - 1" lean. I'm glad I didn't follow the spacer suggestion as mentioned on earlier threads. I do not believe these trucks are designed to permanently lean, so if mine actually had a lean, I would get the problem fixed, not masked. If my truck was older and repair costs were prohibitive, then shims or spacers would be an option.

If he says he has a problem we can only take his word on it, no need to argue with him or me about it, just scroll by opposing views, he will figure it out I am sure.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will hide the problem once he confirms he has a problem. At one time I was sure I had a 3/4 - 1" lean. I'm glad I didn't follow the spacer suggestion as mentioned on earlier threads. I do not believe these trucks are designed to permanently lean, so if mine actually had a lean, I would get the problem fixed, not masked. If my truck was older and repair costs were prohibitive, then shims or spacers would be an option.

I wouldn't say it's hiding the problem. It's fixing the problem. Thousands lift their trucks with spacers. Things are spaced and shimmed from the factory from body parts to engine components. The lean could from assembling the frame, mounting the body and many other things that no tech will figure out. Adding spacers under or above the strut will hurt absolutely nothing and will level the truck.

The rear has lift blocks from the factory between the springs and the axle. I always remove them to level the truck. So because there's blocks there (the same principle as a spacer) it's not good to have or do and its masking something??

Sent from my LG-V495 tablet using Tapatalk

On another note, spacers and shims are used in every industry from engine components, automotive industry, heavy equipment, aircraft, marine, motorcycles etc. That's what they're designed for. There was a recent service bulletin on new Full size GM trucks/suv's with an engine vibration in drive at idle. The fix was shimming the motor mount. There's always a +/- tolerance on equipment and shims and spacers are designed for a fix and to bring things back to spec and not "masking" like you state.

I understand the rationale of using shims and spacers. In custom projects they are often necessary but I question the need in mass produced,new vehicles as a corrective measure. If my new truck had a lean but others didn't, I would like to know the cause. There may or may not be a defect that could be repaired. My 09 Sierra once looked like the box was on crooked. It was a result of a cracked leaf. It was because of this experience that I took my new truck back to the dealership when I thought it had a lean. The result this time was that I obviously don't have a perfectly smooth driveway or road surface in front of my house! I am not arguing, just offering a suggestion based on my personal experiences.

Ok I follow you but the thing is, when something is massed produced there will be error. The lean could be many things. The way the cab and body was mounted to the chassis, the way the holes were bored for suspension components that weren't just right, a slightly weaker spring or slightly shorter spring etc. But here's my point. 1/2" lean is within spec and GM will say this is normal so they won't remove body parts or give you a new frame rail. They will not even change a spring or look for a fix because 1/2" is considered normal. 1 1/2" - 2" is a different story and like I said, the dealer won't look for the problem or fix it for 1/2" because it's normal. So then, if 1/2" bothers the owner and he wants it level, then the spacer is the only fix. It works with zero issues and the owner is happy. On my '11 sierra, it had a 1/2" lean on drivers side and sitting in it with full tank was more like 3/4". Dealer said normal. I'm picky and wanted it level so fixed it myself with spacers. I was happy. I sold the truck locally and the owner drove it many hwy miles for work. The truck has almost 120,000 on it today with the same spacers I had installed with no problems whatsoever and still sits level [emoji4] .

If it measures 1/2" different side to side then it is really only out a total of 1/4" on each side (barely perceptible).

I had a new early 90's 3/4 ton Ford diesel (Shhhh don't tell anyone) and the camber on the front wheels was slightly off. It was within Ford specs but I could see it every time I looked straight at the front. I paid out of pocket for a local shop to reset the camber so it was perfectly straight. I Cussed Ford a good bit as I paid the bill. It is a sound business practice that manufacturers have tolerance specs, if they did not then all us people with higher tolerance preferences would bankrupt them fairly quickly LOL. If your tolerance level is more precise than factory allowances then you will have to come out of pocket and customize it to suit your tastes. Shims sound like a good idea to me................... or that Fat Chick suggestion might work out well for you? Fat chicks need Love too.

big-fat-girl-eating-140x140.jpg

• 8 months later...

I noticed my truck has started to lean to the drives side out of nowhere. It was straight as an arrow since day one. Last week after a long 3 hour ride, I started noticing my truck leaning. Thought I was crazy at first, then I measured it and surely enough it's leaning 1/2" on the driver's side. Tire pressure is good on all tires. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

My truck is a bit older than yours and I'm not sure on drive, but mine is only 2 wheel. Over the years mine developed a bad lean to the driver front side which disgusted me, much like your self I've had the truck since it was new. I resolved the issue by first adding a 2" leveling kit which first made it much worse but then I put new Monroe shocks on it I then adjusted them by tightening the passenger side shock down a little further and backing the driver side shock off little by little till they the lean wasn't bad. I'm happy with the result just food for throught.

Seriously, jack your truck up to take the load off the suspension. I'll almost guarantee when you put it back down it will be sitting level. Saw that many times between raising a car on the lift and putting it back down.

X2 After getting out of the vehicle open the passenger door and get into the passenger side leaving the driver side empty....then exit the passenger side same way and re-check level....should be OK

Archived