Oil type for 2014 Sierra 5.3

Tolerances on the engines for the '14+ trucks are much tighter than they used to be. Tighter places calls for thinner oils. Manufacturers are all about fuel economy these days.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Got any blueprints or technical data to back that claim up? Why is GM building Corvette LT1's to a looser spec than the LT1's in their pickup trucks? GM recommended 5w30 in their C7 Corvettes and 6th Gen Camaro SS. Plus 15w50 for C7 Corvettes in track day events.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

The closer tolerances argument has been primarily market driven. Engineers are fully aware there has to be space between engine components, bearings, etc. Tribilogistds forte is analyzing the dynamics of component interaction and lubrication. Engine components are subjected to wide variances in thermal forces as well as physical forces.

Modern manufacturing and CNC technology has more to do part uniformity than so-called tighter tolerances.

Then is some bureaucrat's idea of how things should be done. The reality is, gooberment wields a big stick and has a way of altering reality to fit their world view. The engineers and tribologists be damned.

My 2015 2500 gets a 10w30 as does my Cadillac CTS. I have about as much concern over what the current Gooberment and OEM cartel has to say on the issue as I do regarding if we will be hit by a comet that will destroy life as we know it. I have not had an engine grenade in 45 years, from my small stuff on up thru 15L engines. The latter of which I have taken a few over 1 million miles. Combine that with several GM and Fords that I have taken to over 250,000 miles, also with no major oil related issues.

Edited by Cowpie

The tighter tolerance claim is a word-of-mouth claim. If the L86 and L83 are built to a tighter tolerance, it would be difficult to explain why GM specifically recommended 15W50 in an L86 during track use.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-performance/16925-tadge-s-answer-why-15w50-oil-track-use.html#/topics/16925?page=1&_k=dsq5l5

The reality is that GM balanced engine protection vs meeting EPA fuel economy goals when selecting 0w20 for the pickups vs 5w30 for the Corevette/Camaro SS. 0w20 is nice in the winter, but if you drive your truck aggressively in the summer, your engine would be much better off running a 5w30 oil like the C7 Corvettes.

• Like 1

I run Mobil 1 extended performance 5w-30 in all of the GMC vehicles except my 02. I run Mobil 1 high mileage 10w-30 in it with its 219k mi on it. My uncle's '13 Silverado, the '14 sonic before the '17 Trax and when the free oil changes is up with the Trax it will also get the Mobil 1. I prefer AC Delco filters on GM vehicles also. Haven't messed with any GM direct injected motors yet.

• 1 year later...

Its been some time, which of you have ran 5w30 on Gen V L83s? I have always used 0w20 on my 2015 and everything has been just fine.

Could i switch 5w30 safely? I live in Mexico an rarely see any freezing temperatures under 32 degrees F

Its been some time, which of you have ran 5w30 on Gen V L83s? I have always used 0w20 on my 2015 and everything has been just fine.

Could i switch 5w30 safely? I live in Mexico an rarely see any freezing temperatures under 32 degrees F
No don't switch.. The variable valve timing, active fuel management and the two stage oil pump need 0w20 for proper operation..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

0W-20 engine oil can reduce the startup load by making it easier to turn over a cold engine and the impact is felt at higher temperatures than most consumers would think,  not simply to what feels colds to humans - warm summers days are cold to an parked engine.  

2 hours ago, Hillwood said:

USE WHAT IT SAYS ON THE OIL FILL CAP...This goes for every vehicle!

Will do, the reason i was wondering is that 0w20 is very difficult to get in Mexico, i only can get ACDelco at the dealer

20 hours ago, Hillwood said:

No don't switch.. The variable valve timing, active fuel management and the two stage oil pump need 0w20 for proper operation..

I disabled the AFM a long time ago (when i first bought the truck) but youre right about the VVT and The Oil Pump, those are important to consider

21 hours ago, Hillwood said:

That's just false.  Corvettes use exactly the same parts and recommend 5W-30 for street use, 15W-50 for track use.

• Haha 1

That's just false.  Corvettes use exactly the same parts and recommend 5W-30 for street use, 15W-50 for track use.
The exact same parts? Are you going to buy engine parts for your truck and put them on your Corvette? No difference right?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Hillwood said:

The exact same parts? Are you going to buy engine parts for your truck and put them on your Corvette? No difference right?

Yes.  Exact.  Same.  Parts.  The only difference between the 6.2 in the truck and the Corvette are the intake and exhaust manifolds, oil pan and accessory layout.  The 5.3 naturally has different parts related to the displacement but there is no design difference for the parts you mentioned.

Edited by Jon A
  • Like 1