Factory battery - 30 months 57k

FL335i

That is how long my factory battery lasted me. Yes I live in FL and the heat is brutal on batteries. But I honestly thought it would of lasted longer. I kept the terminals clean, which never did have any crud on them. I commute 1hr+ each way to work, avoid a lot of starts, factory radio etc. But it went. Potbelly sides to prove it was bad. I ended up replacing it with a wal-mart H7, exact physical dimensions and exact case. Whoever is making the WM battery made the factory delco battery. The plastic molding shell was idential. However teh WM battery had a higher CCA rating. Expensive sucker to. $150 with the core exchange. At least now I have a 3yr replacement period and then pro-rate after that.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my truck in August, but technically my battery is over two years old since the truck sat for that long. I think batteries in general will last a lot less with all these computers and electrical systems on the newer trucks.

I'm not too surprised since these K2 trucks have so much electrical in them. Probably also means the alternator won't last as long as normal either.

I don't know off hand what the rating is on this alternator (I'm assuming in the 100s) but I wonder if when the original goes bad its worth putting in a 200+amp? I don't know much about electrical systems :-(

I don't know off hand what the rating is on this alternator (I'm assuming in the 100s) but I wonder if when the original goes bad its worth putting in a 200+amp? I don't know much about electrical systems :-(

On 1/2 ton trucks, standard is 150amp, VYU plow prep is 170amp.

I saw a paper a couple of years ago that stated the average life of a battery in Florida was 27 months. Knowing that, I try to buy batteries that have a 3 year free replacement period.

I find this a little surprising. I don't know what the warranty is but you would think a partial replacement is in order. I do frequent stops and starts and often use accessories when engine is not running. My 2000 Silverado's was replaced after 6+ yrs., and my 09 Sierra was traded in with a 6+ yr. old working battery.

I've got a zombie battery in my 03 Ram. Still going strong after 13 years. Unbelievable but true! I wouldn't be happy with 30 months at all!

I still have the OE batteries from my 2004 Ram, both are still going strong (use them on a solar system currently).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The longr a truck sits on the lot the shorter the battery life will be.

Well if thats the case. I picked up my truck 4 days after it arrived at the dealer. So this should be the last battery Ill ever buy :rolleyes:, and it came with a truck too.

Well if thats the case. I picked up my truck 4 days after it arrived at the dealer. So this should be the last battery Ill ever buy :rolleyes:, and it came with a truck too.

wow it was your lucky day then.

Archived