CB Radio

Looking for ideas and suggestions of antenna mounts and radios. Would prefer to not have a mag mount on the roof, I have looked at the stake mounts but they don't look very clean, also looked at mounting on the front side of the bulkhead of the bed (currently have a Tonneau cover) but concerned about clearance and rubbing on the cab. Also how have you run the radio wire into the cab?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right now, pretty much anything Uniden is about the best CB you can get easily. Personally, I'd buy a used radio...Cobra 29 or Uniden 76. The Uniden Pro (Pro 510 or 520) series was a small footprint deal also...

As for the antenna mount, it's all about what you want to do...do you want good performance or good looks? I ran a 102" right on the bulkhead...I currently run a Wilson 5000 drilled in the roof. You have many options...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Right now, pretty much anything Uniden is about the best CB you can get easily. Personally, I'd buy a used radio...Cobra 29 or Uniden 76. The Uniden Pro (Pro 510 or 520) series was a small footprint deal also...

As for the antenna mount, it's all about what you want to do...do you want good performance or good looks? I ran a 102" right on the bulkhead...I currently run a Wilson 5000 drilled in the roof. You have many options...

Yea currently have a Wilson 1000 and cobra 29 on the 04 Silverado and get good distance out of it. I only use the CB for hunting season and only need a range of 3-5 miles. I would rather go with something a little more sleek, thought about the Firestik 4 ft Firefly or the Wilson Flex Antenna and mounting it on the bed some how. I also read some good reviews on the Cobra 75 WX ST which would allow me to just toss it in the center console for the other 9 months I am not hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make a bracket for you magnet mount on the front lip of the bed...when hunting season happens, put it back on the roof.

I have mixed feelings about the Cobra 75...probably decent enough, but they are pretty much a throw-away.

You can purchase one that sticks to your window. Kind of looks like the older phone antennas. I had one on the back glass of a Colorado once,not as good as a good magnet mount, but it worked

You can purchase one that sticks to your window. Kind of looks like the older phone antennas. I had one on the back glass of a Colorado once,not as good as a good magnet mount, but it worked

I've never had one of those through-glass that worked...

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked up the Cobra 75 and thought about mounting it under the driver seat given how small the module is and it also allows me to easily discount the mic/main controller, figured this would be easier than running everything into the center console, so is there a constant power source I can tie into under the seat rather than running it to the fuse box?

602250cd2f1e19563477585d950ec2b4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stumbled on this thread looking for ideas people had on getting the coax from cab through firewall. Here is the way I'm planning on mounting the CB I got for Christmas: I like the almost factory look that you end up with. I got the mount and cable from mt local HAM store, and will begin surgery once I settle on the best route for the wire (That wire isn't as pliable as a power cable!).

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/737609-cb-mounting-antenna-mounting-wiring-questions.html#post6110561

3baada247153af39208bc9f51a47fd69.jpg

You can see my Wilson 5000 on the roof (through-roof mount). That gives me solid 1:1 SWR and good performance.

I've tried running fiberglass antennas the fender, on the door, on the mirror, on the rear quarter, on the rear bumper, and on the front bed rail. I've never gotten the performance out of them as I have a Wilson or a 102-inch whip. Maybe I'm too picky...

There are a couple other threads out there on this subject. Here's what I did with mine.

Mounted the antenna in the forward right stake hole.

Mounted My CB Antenna

Mounted My CB Antenna

Put my CB and scanner in the center console.

Installed My CB & Scanner

I'm looking for some black foam to dress around the radios. My next project for them is going to be installing my linear amp and/or HAM radio.

There are a couple other threads out there on this subject. Here's what I did with mine.

Mounted the antenna in the forward right stake hole.

Put my CB and scanner in the center console.

I'm looking for some black foam to dress around the radios. My next project for them is going to be installing my linear amp and/or HAM radio.

RK what brand/modwl of scanner are you running? Do you use it in conjunction with a radar detector?

RK what brand/modwl of scanner are you running? Do you use it in conjunction with a radar detector?

The scanner is a RS special with wide range of freq's, don't recall the model # of hand. I do NOT use a radar detector, don't need it, don't speed.

Archived