19-20 mpg possible 6.0 gas?

2 hours ago, newdude said:

Ah I see...I knew chassis cab could get them, and left that out of my mentioning as 99% of those here and or buyers wouldn't be going down that route.  I never even bothered to check fleet as again, most nobody would be affected unless they bought a fleet ordered truck second handed. 

Interesting to know that a 3.73 could exist with gas as a fleet truck.     

I had asked the salesman and he said you could get a 2018/2019 2500 6.0L regular production truck with the 3.73, but that it would have to be ordered that way.  He could have been wrong.  But by the sounds of it there would be no advantage to get it anyway.  Still, I find it pretty surprising that the 3.73 has no economy advantage.  Not everyone needs to tow 13k.  Being limited to 9k and change towing while gaining even just 1-2 mpgs could be worth it to a few people, and this seems like an easy thing to have available as an option.

Edited by free88

It really all depends on where you drive and what you are doing.  I have 4.10 in my 2015 2500, but most times I stay in manual mode and rarely go to 6th unless I am on the interstate.  The hilly two lanes I frequent more than anything else, actually keeping it in manual mode and 5th is more efficient as the pickup doesn't do all that goofy shifting on every little hill.   Most of those two lane roads I drive on, I typically don't go more than 60 mph.  If I was in 6th, the pickup would downshift on every little mole hill.  By leaving it in 5th, shifting rarely happens and the transmission runs cooler.  And fuel efficiency is better.   One needs to keep in mind, the L96 6.0 reaches 90% of available torque at roughly 2000 RPM.  

I have had various ratios over the years in different pickups.  I have found 4.10 is just about the best overall ratio.  Only time it really is not the best is if one likes trying to bust that sound barrier every time they drive.  For that, I would prefer a car over a pickup.  Even then, I can get most of that out of my system by hopping on my Triumph Bonneville.

Edited by Cowpie

On 7/20/2018 at 4:41 PM, SierraHD17 said:

My 17 started life with 3.73s and the entire drive home ( around a 400 mile trip) I averaged around 18 mpg.  The truck actually could recreate it provided it was calm and no head wind.  The drive home I had a tail wind but it was not strong so although it helped no doubt the truck still did it.  Then I leveled it, added bigger rubber, tuned it and did 4.56 gears hahahaha. The 4.56s honestly recouped mileage from the tires and level with the lame ass 3.73s.

The saddest thing about 3.73s was the sorry sack 9700 lb tow rating it gives the truck.. especially one some dummy ordered the fifth wheel prep package on as well as the 3.73 lol.

Fleet truck?

EDIT: 

I thought I was closer to the end of the thread than I was.  I guess I should have read the rest before I posted -- 

I see this has been clarified -- that it was ordered as a fleet truck, making 3.73 option was available on 6.0L. 

Edited by redwngr

That's about right :-D

I'm at an average of 13.8 with a best of 17. You must have been on a slight grade holding real time @ 19.
You got it [emoji6]

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

My trucks mileage while doing the speed limit.  The instant on the left is what the average would get too if I drove far enough... but I wasnt driving 30 miles to do a reset so it is what it is.  I usually am 10 to 20 km/hr over the limit so this is more of a rarity for me.  That's a leveled HD double cab on 295/60/20's with a tune, exhaust and 4.56 gears.  That's 16.7 US mpg for you guys not wanting to convert it yourself.  No tailwind, average day and average road.  Totally "ruined" truck lol.

20180801_135200.jpg

• Like 1