19-20 mpg possible 6.0 gas?

My best is 18.2 I believe, for 25 miles. Rural road that probably trended downhill over that distance. On the 400 mile one I'm probably at a best of 15, from an interstate trip where I was going 70 or so. Lifetime average is 11 something now; plowing and towing has knocked me down from 12.

Our old "Imperial" gallon is larger than the US gallon, then we went to the L/100 km nonsense. I'll check my "mileage and convert it to "our" MPG. It'll be interesting to see what I can get w/ my truck.

I don't recall off the top of my head, what I got w/ my '94 K1500 (350/AT/3.42), but it wasn't all that bad compared to my '88 S15 4x4 w/ the 4.3L in it.

A few days after I got my new ccsb 2016, I went for a drive on a country road near my house. About 30 miles, I reset the mpg monitor at the beginning, and I drove like I was on eggshells, maybe 50 mph average. I got a little over 16 just during that time.

That's winter gas and on somewhat aggressive all-terrains. I could imagine, in the summer, with 3.73's and with tires with less rolling resistance, on a day that wasn't windy, maybe I could have pulled 18 or 19 under absolutely ideal conditions.

That said ... I am not holding my breath on ever seeing 16 mpg on my dash gauge again. She's paid off, though, and that counts for something!

I'm still averaging 14 to 15mpg commuting everyday...that's hand calculated, I don't have the fancy digital readout...

I've driven cross country more than I can begin to count...almost all pickup, a little HD truck. Driving the speed limit or even under will make you better time, less stressful driving, and just more enjoyable ride. I can't begin to tell you the number of trips I had where I would mentally mark a unique car or truck flying by...more than once I'd pull into the hotel at the same time they did (and they have passed me a dozen times in the process)...not to mention I was getting about the best mileage whatever truck I was driving would get because of the way I was driving...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Edited by sdeeter19555
  • Like 2

Looking @ the conversion chart, I'd have to get 14L/100 km (don't ask) to get 20 MPG w/ our Imperial gallons. I think that's only doable if you're doing 50 mph, downhill.

As a comparison, I pulled my travel records & here's what I found:

'88 S15 across the top of Lake Superior > 21.7 MPG = 17.4 miles per US gallon

'94 K1500 across Saskatchewan (borders North Dakota) > 24.3 MPG = 19.4 miles per US gallon

Edited by revrnd

I'm still averaging 14 to 15mpg commuting everyday...that's hand calculated, I don't have the fancy digital readout...

I've driven cross country more than I can begin to count...almost all pickup, a little HD truck. Driving the speed limit or even under will make you better time, less stressful driving, and just more enjoyable ride. I can't begin to tell you the number of trips I had where I would mentally mark a unique car or truck flying by...more than once I'd pull into the hotel at the same time they did (and they have passed me a dozen times in the process)...not to mention I was getting about the best mileage whatever truck I was driving would get because of the way I was driving...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It's surprising how very few people understand what mileage really is. There's nothing like an old fashioned hand calculation using volume vs. distance to put things into perspective lol

• Like 2

A few days after I got my new ccsb 2016, I went for a drive on a country road near my house. About 30 miles, I reset the mpg monitor at the beginning, and I drove like I was on eggshells, maybe 50 mph average. I got a little over 16 just during that time.

That's winter gas and on somewhat aggressive all-terrains. I could imagine, in the summer, with 3.73's and with tires with less rolling resistance, on a day that wasn't windy, maybe I could have pulled 18 or 19 under absolutely ideal conditions.

That said ... I am not holding my breath on ever seeing 16 mpg on my dash gauge again. She's paid off, though, and that counts for something!

yeah, winter gas takes a toll. My best was on summer fuel. My average has been around 13 on winter fuel.

I know winter gas is blended differently for the Reid Vapour Pressure (I wonder if that's necessary for FI vehicles anymore?) & PetroCanada really pushes their "Winter Gas" blend. I've always been curious as to what additives (if any) are added?

I know we use iso propyl alcohol as a gas line antfreeze in our snowmobiles. Would ethanol act the same? If it is, then PC really isn't doing anything different than the next company seeing as our 87 in Ontario is mandated to be 10% ethanol.

Butane is the primary component that is added to winter grade fuel to enhance vaporization at cold temps. Butane is the culprit in lower fuel economy in winter, though more dense air the vehicle has to push out of the way and such also contribute. Not totally sure that DI or port injected engines really need it, but there are many throttle body injection and others that still can benefit from it.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

I just started a temporary job that I worked at before and it gave me the opportunity to check the mileage on my new 2016 Dually 4x4 6.0 gasser versus my 2008 Duramax Dually 4x4 Duramax. Both trucks weigh 7800 pounds with me and a full fuel tank. The Duramax was an extended cab LTZ,, my new 6.0 is a Crew Cab HIgh Country and both are long box Dually 4x4s models that will never come in a hybrid.LOL , and models that only an idiot would expect great mileage. These are work trucks, like most HD trucks. As I have stated many times I mainly ordered the 6.0 to get the extra 760 pounds of payload more than the same model in a Duramax. Yes, gassers haul more,

diesels pull more, almost double the weight. If the payloads were identical, I would have got another Duramax and I am sure I would have been as happy as a clam, a clam with 11000 less dollars due to Canadian pricing.

My commute round trip is exactly 100 km, I will convert to miles per US gal . My new truck uses 17.6 litres per 100 km, the 08 Duramax used 15.8 litres per 100 km. This is Highway with several traffic lights and a few sections of slower driving but mostly 60 miles per hour with a few mild grades. New 6 litre gas is getting 13.4 miles per US gal on this commute. 08 Duramax got 14.9 miles per US gal. I was saving a whopping 1.5 litres a day with the Duramax and the current price of 1.14 per litre that is 1.71 CAD a day. I would have to drive that commute every single day for 17 years to break even. WOW! I have to say I realize the new Duramaxes are probably better on fuel but right now I am so happy the GMC engineers made the payload so much larger with a 6.0 gasser, saved me a ton of money and the 6.0 is fun to drive, the 4.10 gears make it feel as nifty as the Duramax with 3.73s and if I would have kept pulling a heavy Fifth wheel like the 33 foot Montana I had for 10 years, I would have needed another Duramax, and pulling heavy the Duramax might get double the mileage of a 6.0 gasser pulling the same weight. Bottom line, if you need to haul heavy, go gas, if you need to tow heavy go diesel, but don't expect great mileage from these HD trucks. Stick with a little 1500 if gas mileage is your main priority.

• Like 2

I was saving a whopping 1.5 litres a day with the Duramax and the current price of 1.14 per litre that is 1.71 CAD a day. I would have to drive that commute every single day for 17 years to break even. Stick with a little 1500 if gas mileage is your main priority.

And if you drive less, it would take even longer to make back that investment. Don't forget the increased maintenance costs too. 6L of oil & filter for the gasser. I think my brother says his D'max takes 9L during an oil change.

I use Pennzoil 5W30 synthetic (purchased @ Wallymart) in my gassers. How does the oil spec'd for the diesels compare in cost? The same or more expensive?