19-20 mpg possible 6.0 gas?

Friend of mine and I was talking the other day. He has an early 15 2500 with the 6.0 and only thing he's done to it is put exhaust on it. Truck is completely stock, and torsion bars are in stock locations yet. Truck has just under 16,000 miles on it. Guy SWEARS he get 19-20 mpg on the open road with it. I know these trucks were standard with 4.10 gears, but could it be possible the early ones have 3.73? He says its 4.10 gears, but I just don't see how 19-20 is possible. My truck's best was 12.4 in completely stock trim with absolutely no modifications.

I know there is already a MPG post here somewhere, but this just seems too far-fetched for me to believe.

Only 3/4 ton 6.0 that I ever saw get over 19mpg was being hauled on a tractor trailer to a job site LOL. If you want to have some real fun with him start slipping about an extra gallon of fuel in his tank every day for a couple of weeks and let him get used to great mileage and then stop and see what he says about it...

• Like 5

That mileage claim is incredible if true, but big heavy gas powered trucks sometimes do better with a lower speed rear end. I ordered my 2005 Ford CC 4X4 long box with 4.10 gears and talked on the V10 Forum for 3 years and everyone on that Forum that had got a V10 with the optional 4.30 gears got better mileage than the 4.10 guys.

Ours was very very poor, the 4.30 guys were just poor. With high torque diesels, the 3.73 is the right choice.

With a gas engine, I like 4.10s and I am sure this is why GM stopped putting 3.73s in the HD gassers.

We had a 2001 2500HD with the 6.0 that we got 17 or 18 mpg out of once if I remember correctly. Then again we were roaming around on back roads and butt crack of no where roads in Maggie Valley where our top speed was probably 30 mph. With my 2006 6.0 the best I remember seeing was just under 15 mpg that was doing 55 on the highway for that 3/4 of a tank.

Its impossible for him to get that mileage, he would be lucky to get 15 mpg. EPA estimates for a 2 wd 1500 is 19 mpg hwy.

4.10 is only available ratio for 6.0L

3.73 is only available with diesel.

• Like 1

The absolute best I have got with my 07 with 4.10 gears was 16 when the truck was fairly new and we were on an interstate, little traffic, use of cruise control and probably a big tailwind

My typical MPG is around 13 and towing is around 8

It depends, I've gotten 20mpg...once, last summer in South Dakota on interstate. I would guess low teens for city, I get 14 to 15 mixed city/highway on my daily commute, and 16 to 18 open and forgiving highway (i.e., flat). That is hand calculated, when I care...I didn't buy it for gas mileage.

That 3.73s and driving like an old person...which has a lot to do with it. I'll bet the 1500s I see everyday don't get 15mpg on my commute, but they jack rabbit starts, race to the next light, and pass me at 85mph...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tell him to stop resetting the avg mpg on the dashboard and let it run for a full tank of gas. I know that number won't be 19-20. All jokes aside, my father-in-law has a 2016 Chevy dclb with about 2k on the od and he gets about 14mpg. And he does drive like an old person if you define old as being a qualified senior citizen.

I had a 2015 2500 HD 6.0 and my wife set the all time high of 17.5 MPG according to the trip computer.

With me driving it would consistently average 13 MPG per tank full which I track on the Trip A setting, I track my miles between oil changes on the Trip B setting and again no matter where I went or what I did it averaged 13MPG exception being if I did any towing then it would be 7 - 9 MPG depending on tow weight and speed which would skew Trip meters accordingly.

I recently purchased a 2016 2500 HD 6.0 and again its pretty much the same experience 13 MPG average over the first 800 miles.