Tricks for running wire through firewall?

Where is everyone running wires through the firewall on their '14s? Access is very limited under the dash. The big harness on the driver's side would be nice but I couldn't find where my snake poked through. I'd like to avoid drilling a new hole.

Where is everyone running wires through the firewall on their '14s? Access is very limited under the dash. The big harness on the driver's side would be nice but I couldn't find where my snake poked through. I'd like to avoid drilling a new hole.

There's a big rubber grommet next to the steering column. Cut the nipple protrusion and fish your snake thru. It will come out above the parking brake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

There's a big rubber grommet next to the steering column. Cut the nipple protrusion and fish your snake thru. It will come out above the parking brake

Thanks, that's the grommet I was looking at. I'll give that a shot
  • Like 1

Thanks, that's the grommet I was looking at. I'll give that a shot

Be careful coming in... go slow. It helps if you have a 2nd person on the footwell side to see when it comes through. I did mine solo when I installed the Kicker VSS system (needs power ran to the battery).

If you feel resistance or hit a wall, you're probably hitting the back side of the X61A Junction Box. That's the box with the black cover mentioned above... next to the E-Brake.

If you're using something like a coat hanger, put some electrical tape on the tip to protect and wires as you come through.

Good Luck!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

On mine there was another grommet within the bigger grommet. Once i removed it from the inside i had no problems getting O gauge wire thru. Unbolting the black box will give you just a little more room to get in there.

• 4 months later...

I cannot for the life of me get through the firewall.....I cut the little access hole by the drivers side, moved the black box, even was desperate and asked the wife to push the wire in. I hear it, just cannot find it. 

I am no contortionist to get my fat a$$ under the dash, so this is really make me mad. This is all I need to complete my 30” rough country led bar and x2 8” led reverse lights.

I cannot for the life of me get through the firewall.....I cut the little access hole by the drivers side, moved the black box, even was desperate and asked the wife to push the wire in. I hear it, just cannot find it. 
I am no contortionist to get my fat a$$ under the dash, so this is really make me mad. This is all I need to complete my 30” rough country led bar and x2 8” led reverse lights.

Try a metal clothes hanger