2018 Buick Regal GS May Hit the Shrinking Sedan Sweet Spot

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-45106500-1500573987_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7-20-2017

Everyone loves reading about luxury, rear-drive, 200 MPH sedans with stick shifts, and GM's Cadillac division makes the best in the world. The problem is that nobody buys them. ATS compact sports sedan sales are at a level below the Chevy Volt now, and the CTS is barely selling, with sales having dropped below 1,000 per month on average in 2017. The truth is that rear-drive means space compromises and the halo V versions of these outstanding cars can't draw buyers to the 4-cylinder automatics. Another fact is that sedans as a class of cars have jumped the shark, as most shoppers now search for crossovers. Maybe Buick has a better plan to attract premium sedan drivers to the GM fold.

The new 2018 Regal GS has a slightly different formula for GM. One that is more practical for everyday use and still affords its driver more than enough performance for public roads. With 310 hp from the GM's 3.6-liter V6 engine, power is at or above that offered by most mainstream and premium models. Of course, GM names Audi and BMW in its press release comparisons, but let's all hope that this car does not attract only those (very limited) buyers. The real meat of the premium market resides with Lexus and Acura in the premium sedan marketplace. The Buick Regal GS may well pull in some of those (much more numerous) shoppers.

post-139450-0-09289500-1500574207_thumb.jpeg post-139450-0-39964300-1500574261_thumb.jpeg

The Regal GS will feature AWD standard. That gets many buyers who believe that real performance means driving the rear wheels on board. Not all, but Caddy's CTS-V is there for the purists. The front-drive platform the Regal uses will have more interior space due to its design. Buick is adding in sporty elements to the Regal GS In what looks to be just the right amounts. those include:

-New 3.6L V-6 with 310 horsepower and 282 lb-ft of torque featuring direct injection, cylinder deactivation and stop/start technology
-Standard nine-speed automatic transmission and intelligent all-wheel drive (AWD) with active twin clutch for improved vehicle control, and five-link rear suspension
-GS-specific, AGR-certified, performance seats that are heated, cooled and massaging with adjustable seat and seat-back bolsters as well as thigh support
-Second-generation Continuous Damping Control (CDC) capable of 500 adjustments per second and Interactive Drive Control with GS and Sport modes
-Unique sport front and rear fascias, side skirts and rear spoiler
-Standard 19-inch wheels
-Performance brakes with Brembo front calipers
-Sport-tuned exhaust system
-Sport flat-bottom steering wheel and metal pedals
-Available head-up display

Buick's recently impressive quality scores and more modern and appealing styling will start to add back buyers. Cars like the Regal GS may be what the company needs to augment crossovers in the showrooms where shoppers looking for more than Chevy offers go to consider their options. We have not seen any GM media fleet cars for a while. If GM supplies a Regal GS to the GM-trucks' media fleet in the coming year we will provide a full review here at GM-trucks.com.

post-139450-0-09289500-1500574207_thumb.jpeg

post-139450-0-39964300-1500574261_thumb.jpeg

It's still a Buick which means it won't sell. Even the old fogies are turning their nose away from Buick now and going with Kia's and Hyundai.

It's still a Buick which means it won't sell. Even the old fogies are turning their nose away from Buick now and going with Kia's and Hyundai.

Could that be because GM has gone out of their way to make it look like a Chrysler 200? :rollin:

I'm a big Buick fan. Have two but the new ones....where's the Buick grill?? It is what makes it look like a Buick.

This needs futther comment. Quote: Everyone loves reading about luxury, rear-drive, 200 MPH sedans with stick shifts, and GM's Cadillac division makes the best in the world. The problem is that nobody buys them. ATS compact sports sedan sales are at a level below the Chevy Volt now, and the CTS is barely selling, with sales having dropped below 1,000 per month on average in 2017. The truth is that rear-drive means space compromises and the halo V versions of these outstanding cars can't draw buyers to the 4-cylinder automatics. Another fact is that sedans as a class of cars have jumped the shark, as most shoppers now search for crossovers. Maybe Buick has a better plan to attract premium sedan drivers to the GM fold.

Yea, I don't think so. Cadillac use to mean "Set Apart". Now it's a bad imitation of everything else. Think not? Then tell me why an 80 thousand dollar Caddy has the same crap paint work that graces the Chevy Sonic. Caddy isn't a equivalent to a BMW or an Audi or anything else. It's a marketing disaster. An now the genius pool in marketing is about to do the same thing to the Buick. Even the Toyota Yaris version of the Mazda 2 is a better car. Why? It isn't pretending to be anything but what it is.

​The words Compact Sports Sedan and Cadillac, a real Cadillac can't be said in same conversation without someone needing their mouth washed out with soap. GM has forgotten who they are and what this mark was about. Can't say IS anymore.

​No wonder when the focus groups touchstone is the Fonz.

This needs futther comment. Quote: Everyone loves reading about luxury, rear-drive, 200 MPH sedans with stick shifts, and GM's Cadillac division makes the best in the world. The problem is that nobody buys them. ATS compact sports sedan sales are at a level below the Chevy Volt now, and the CTS is barely selling, with sales having dropped below 1,000 per month on average in 2017. The truth is that rear-drive means space compromises and the halo V versions of these outstanding cars can't draw buyers to the 4-cylinder automatics. Another fact is that sedans as a class of cars have jumped the shark, as most shoppers now search for crossovers. Maybe Buick has a better plan to attract premium sedan drivers to the GM fold.

Yea, I don't think so. Cadillac use to mean "Set Apart". Now it's a bad imitation of everything else. Think not? Then tell me why an 80 thousand dollar Caddy has the same crap paint work that graces the Chevy Sonic. Caddy isn't a equivalent to a BMW or an Audi or anything else. It's a marketing disaster. An now the genius pool in marketing is about to do the same thing to the Buick. Even the Toyota Yaris version of the Mazda 2 is a better car. Why? It isn't pretending to be anything but what it is.

​The words Compact Sports Sedan and Cadillac, a real Cadillac can't be said in same conversation without someone needing their mouth washed out with soap. GM has forgotten who they are and what this mark was about. Can't say IS anymore.

​No wonder when the focus groups touchstone is the Fonz.

Yes, people ready to drop $80K on a vehicle are looking at nice trucks and suv's. But, keep in mind that Cadillac is outselling Lincoln, Volvo, Infiniti, Acura, Land Rover, Genesis and is close to Audi, so they are getting some things right. When it come to $40K cars, yes, many are still looking at trucks and suv's. This a truck forum after all, but I do think Buick will find some buyers. And with this being a global platform and China leading the way for Buick, how many do they need to sell? I don't think GM has forgotten who they are, they are there to make money, and this GS will help.

Exactly, I mean people live in downtown urban environments with their one sole parking space down on the street. I would not be looking at 140" wheel spread either?

Boys both of these comments say the Cadillac or Buick needs to be 'all things to all people". I suppose if your intent is to sell every last person on the planet the exact same car your right. GM has Chevy for that. Well and now Buick.

If I'm spending 80K it won't be on a wan-a-be. Alpha Romeo and Maserati both have cars at this price point that are light years ahead. 'Your not getting your moneys worth, not even close. When these cars go after Infinity or Acura or BMW there tilting at windmills. Chasing dollars with volume. Copy Cat engineering. It's getting so that you need a emblem book to tell which car is which. You use to be able to tell from six blocks away. When your trying to be something you not while still looking like something else your not very good at any of it.

I spent my entire life driving Fords, Honda and Chevy waiting for the day I could buy a Cadillac or Lincoln or even a top O' the line Buick. That day came. Lincoln was out of business. Cadillac was cheapened in quality to the point of an Impala. Might as well buy the Impala. Cheaper. Buick had decided to follow the Euro crowd so I settled for an 09 Lacrosse to get a fraction of the 'dream' car I had always hoped for. She has 40K miles and I baby it knowing it isn't likely this sort of build is going to happen again any time soon again. And boys, it isn't half what an Electra 225 or Roadmaster use to be. So why not the Alpha or Maserati? Not interested in a Luxo sports sedan. Interested in a Luxury car.

I walk into a dealership with 100K in my pocket and can't find a single car worth it's ask and I didn't have to look any further than the paint.

Ok, but it will get its doors blown off by the Fusion Sport with a cheap tune. And even the Camry is barely behind the GS. I think it'll be a hard sell to get the avg consumer to pick this over a Toyota, even if it does look better

Archived