Alignment shot after 15 mins off road

I have an 08 3500 crew cab lb sierra 4wd with a little lift. I went off roading and didn't last more than 15 minutes before the handling went to crap. Both front wheels are pointing at each other and my front end was bouncing like crazy. Nothing looks visibly broken or bent. I just bought the truck and don't understand how that could happen so easily on a one ton truck. Anyone else ever have this problem??

"I went off roading" "handling went to crap" "Both front wheels are pointing at each other" "front end was bouncing like crazy" "Nothing looks visibly broken or bent" "I just bought the truck and don't understand how that could happen"

So you really don't understand how this could happen? :rollin:

I'm trying really hard not to be a smartass, but here it goes.

When you say off-roading, what were you doing since there's a lot of different types and terrains and situations so you may need to narrow it down for us. Also you went off-roading, even in purpose build rigs things will break all the time so just because it's a 1 ton doesn't mean it's unbreakable. So that's how it can happen. Off-roading is abusing the vehicle so you will break things sooner than if you never take it off the asphalt. I love to go mudding but I also know that doing so may break something or make parts fail sooner than normal. Same as if you put the throttle pedal to the floor from every stop even if it's to a close by stop sign or light. Or if you hit the brakes hard every time. I just find it a little funny that you say you went off-road yet you're confused at why something broke. Drive without your eyes closed until you hit something, are you going to wonder how that happened too? Obviously something is broken or bent or something wasn't torqued down right when they installed the lift. Common sense tells you that so maybe you should take it to an alignment shop to fix whatever is wrong and just hope the alignment is just off and nothing is broken.

In my humble opinion most lift kits are made for looks.

Not for off road. Maybe they make the truck even less capable.

Same for the truck.

The 4x4 doesn't mean it's hard core off road ready.

It's meant to get you across a construction site or some mild terrain, or some extra traction when you tow heavy.

Get a pro to check it out and align it again.

so long

j-ten-ner

It has all new steering components so i thought it would hold up a little better. And by off roading I mean just testing the 4wd in the desert. Nothing crazy. I went up a few steep hills that required 4wd and through some sand. It's okay you can be a smart ass, I have thick skin. I guess I should've spelled it out a little more clear but saying I have a one ton truck I figured everyone would know I wasn't running the Baja 1000. I don't know how my steering would be so sensitive to such light terrain. I guess i was hoping to find someone who had a simular issue and could maybe she'd some light. Thanks, fellas.

That's why your first post sounds so troll, simply driving up a hill shouldn't damage anything. Your truck was broke before you started out.

Yea lotsa desert here. Broke a HUMMV in the desert but never any of my trucks. All new steering components like? Lifted aftermarket trash?

Driving in deep sand is very hard on front end parts as there is very little give to the sand when making a turn its like driving in ruts like a rail as the front wheels dig in deep. Going uphill in sand is worse as there is very little traction and it doesn't take much front wheel hop to start breaking parts, steering wheel starts shaking your going to break or bend something. As said lifts are more for looks and don't not make your truck tougher if anything its weaker then stock. I bet you bent the tierod ends.

Its all brand new, maybe something wasn't tightened up.

i

I have built Dana 60's (1 tons axles - Dynatrac and Currie) to put in my Jeep CJ8. Big axles in light vehicle to lessen the chance of breakage not eliminate it. Just because its a 1 ton, doesn't mean indestructible. Could have been a faulty new part installed that broke.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Yeah, 1 of the tie rods said screw this.

Aren't there tierod reinforcement deals for the Duramax crowd? I think I remember there being aftermarket components because the modded Duramax crowd would split something at the tie rod level, and kiss the wall when drag racing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Aren't there tierod reinforcement deals for the Duramax crowd? I think I remember there being aftermarket components because the modded Duramax crowd would split something at the tie rod level, and kiss the wall when drag racing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Unsure, didn't even know there was a difference between the trucks tie rods...

Bigger stronger tie rods are on the list.

Archived