New 2014 GM Truck Recall Covers Electric Steering Glitch

Mine was done on 8/28 when the truck was in for transmission service and induction cleaning.

No issues before the recall and no issues after. Btw the truck shifts and runs better tho after my services :)

The current steering recall is the only steering recall I know of for '14-'15 LD trucks. Except for a very limited steering motor recall on '15s. No recalls for cables.

I know what the recalls are. What I'm saying is that was what's happening to mine. No recall for the 15s but the issue recalled for the 14s is what I'm experienceing. It wasn't the cables at all or the battery. They said there was an update available for my truck for the steering and that's what they did.

Had mine done on Wednesday this past week. No issues before the update and so far no issues after the update. I am coming up on 89k miles on the truck. I did mention that I thought there was an issue with the steering rack. They came back with the shock on the passengers side front/strut is leaking and needs replaced. I guess it's time for a new set of Bilstein's all around.

Has this fixed the issues with the steering loss and truck turning off? My steering has been going out and vehicle dying at least three times a week for the past month. Im also getting the "steering assist reduced" and "parking assist off" warnings on my screen. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have been dealing with the glitch for around 6 months. First it was a ground wire, then it was the power steering motor and now the recall. I took it in two weeks ago to get the recall done thinking that was going to solve the problem as I was experiencing all the EPS issues but seems like the issues have gotten worse. The majority of the time it was happening while turning at a slow speed. Now all systems in the truck go off for a few seconds then kick back on while driving at any speed. Seems to do it a lot while in traffic as well, truck will just lose all systems. I was able to get a video of it yesterday and hopefully the dealer and GM will be able to get this fixed.

IMG_0914.MOV

IMG_0914.MOV

IMG_0914.MOV

IMG_0914.MOV

Edited by Joshj

Has this fixed the issues with the steering loss and truck turning off? My steering has been going out and vehicle dying at least three times a week for the past month. Im also getting the "steering assist reduced" and "parking assist off" warnings on my screen. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have been dealing with the glitch for around 6 months. First it was a ground wire, then it was the power steering motor and now the recall. I took it in two weeks ago to get the recall done thinking that was going to solve the problem as I was experiencing all the EPS issues but seems like the issues have gotten worse. The majority of the time it was happening while turning at a slow speed. Now all systems in the truck go off for a few seconds then kick back on while driving at any speed. Seems to do it a lot while in traffic as well, truck will just lose all systems. I was able to get a video of it yesterday and hopefully the dealer and GM will be able to get this fixed.

Have your dealer check PIT5405 (you can search these forums for a copy of it). It walks the tech through 4 or 5 things they need to check. The main things include the positive battery cables and the G218 BCM ground behind the dash. Many people on this forum got their electrical problems resolved by fixing these. The G218 ground is easy and you can fix it yourself if you don't want to take a trip to the dealer.

• 1 month later...

So I started having the issue about a month before GM released acknowledgement of the issue.  Once the recall fix was available, I scheduled my service.  For a week or so, everything seemed fine after the fix.  Then it started doing it again.  Not as bad before on most cases, however I noticed that the loss of power steering at slow speeds was worse than before.  Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list of trucks not fixed by the recall.  The behavior changed but I still lose power steering.  The reprogramming just makes it so that when the issue occurs it doesn't jerk the steering wheel out of your hand; you still lose power steering though.  The issue occurs in conjunction with another wierd electrical issue: activating a turn signal cancels the cruise control.  Neither issue occurs unless I have been driving for more than 45 minutes which tells me it's a temperature related issue.  I have corrected the G218 ground issue and it didn't change anything.  

22 hours ago, aflesch said:

Add me to the list of trucks not fixed by the recall.  The behavior changed but I still lose power steering.  The reprogramming just makes it so that when the issue occurs it doesn't jerk the steering wheel out of your hand; you still lose power steering though.  The issue occurs in conjunction with another wierd electrical issue: activating a turn signal cancels the cruise control.  Neither issue occurs unless I have been driving for more than 45 minutes which tells me it's a temperature related issue.  I have corrected the G218 ground issue and it didn't change anything.  

Try checking your battery terminals.  I brought mine in on Friday to have the dealership look at the continuing problem after the recall had been "fixed".  They said there was some issue with the battery terminals not connecting all the way.  Your issues after the "fix" are very similar to what mine was doing.  I hope whatever the dealership did Friday works.

Thanks @tistre1. I contacted GMC customer service this evening to document the issue and will be calling the dealership in the morning.  Did you have to pay for the additional repairs out of pocket?

Edited by aflesch

No, I did not pay.  When I called GM to open up a case, I stressed that I did not want to pay the diagnostic fee to get the issue checked.

Fixing the ground issue took care of the problem for me. I went ahead and went in for the recall anyway, fwiw.

I posted a message to the NHTSA website months ago. It's amazing that they decided to initiate a recall that doesn't fix the ground issue too. This is an accident waiting to happen if the recall doesnt actually fix the problem.