Amsoil oil not Dexos1 Gen.2 rated?

I know a lot of people believe Amsoil is one of, if not the #1 oil to use. Yet checking the GM site, Amsoil does not appear on the approved licensing list. Would you continue to use Amsoil in your GM truck even tho it's not a Dexos 1 approved oil?

AMSOIL just reformulated their Signature Series oil now. It meets/exceeds dexos1™ (gen 2) specifications.

The money AMSOIL saves in not paying GM to be put on their list helps to keep the cost of the product down.

Also, don't forget that AMSOIL warranties their product, if for some reason there is an issue and the oils is at fault, AMSOIL will pay for the repair.

Here is some more information. The reformulation also covers LSPI issues that is happening in engines due to the EPA mandating max fuel economy.

• Like 2

In the late 2000's Amsoil sold a TCW-3 equivalent oil for 2 stroke outboard motors. Not certified but "meets" was the wording I remember. The stuff started jelling and resulted in many blown powerheads. Because the oil was not TCW-3 certified, manufactures would not cover the failures. Rightfully so because it was a lubrication failure, not a design failure of the outboard. Amsoil was not any help either. Every since then, I refuse to use anything other what the manufacture specifies. I want my warranty in tact and not get hung out to dry when one of the knock off oils does not make the grade.

In the late 2000's Amsoil sold a TCW-3 equivalent oil for 2 stroke outboard motors. Not certified but "meets" was the wording I remember. The stuff started jelling and resulted in many blown powerheads. Because the oil was not TCW-3 certified, manufactures would not cover the failures. Rightfully so because it was a lubrication failure, not a design failure of the outboard. Amsoil was not any help either. Every since then, I refuse to use anything other what the manufacture specifies. I want my warranty in tact and not get hung out to dry when one of the knock off oils does not make the grade.

Sorry to hear this. Did you purchase through an AMSOIL dealer or from the corporate site? If any of my customers have issues, I would hope they contact me so i can help them get their issue resolved. That is what I'm here for. I know this is of no help know.

As with anything and in time, there has great advances in technology, especially in the lubricant world. Just like AMSOIL now getting ahead of the game on LSPI issues and addressing it with a better oil formula. Again, if anyone has issues with an AMSOIL product, contact your dealer, if you don't have one, contact me.

Really? I don't recall ever hearing that, i know a lot of guys that swear by the Amsoil 2 stroke oil, myself included. The HP injector oil (now called hp marine) has been around a long time and i have never heard of it gelling on anyone. I personally have been running it in my outboards for like 17 years now on my bass boats without issue, literally i have used over 100 gallons of this stuff over the years. My old 150 Merc EFI had over 3000 high RPM hours on it running that oil with no carbon buildup and no issues. My current boat with a Merc Pro XS optimax has over 1000 hours on it and same deal. Runs perfect with no issues.

I also used to run a different amsoil 2 cycle called sabre outboard in my old Johnson ficht motor that blew powerheads like crazy back in the late 90's. Those motors were pretty much the demise of OMC because of the issues they had. Running factory OMC oil they would carbon up like crazy and ultimately jack the rings and blow, often in 10 hours or less of run time. I popped 3 powerheads in one fishing season before i switched to the Amsoil, The carbon problems went away with the Amsoil and i ran two seasons problem free on that motor before i dumped it for a Merc.

• Like 1

I changed with Amsoil signature series on my first service. Not sure if it's worth it since I don't keep vehicles more that 3 yrs but it makes me feel good lol. $12.95 / QT @ 9 Qts, yep that hurt lol, but I'll do it again for future oil changes.

AMSOIL just reformulated their Signature Series oil now. It meets/exceeds dexos1™ (gen 2) specifications.

The money AMSOIL saves in not paying GM to be put on their list helps to keep the cost of the product down.

Also, don't forget that AMSOIL warranties their product, if for some reason there is an issue and the oils is at fault, AMSOIL will pay for the repair.

Here is some more information. The reformulation also covers LSPI issues that is happening in engines due to the EPA mandating max fuel economy.

I like hearing about those who go above and beyond and provide personal service, that goes a long way in customer retention. With that said regardless of the warranty companies have in place to cover no coverage by a manufacturer, I can only imagine the nightmare it would be to get something like that approved and how long one would be with out their vehicle or the upfront expense while they go back and forth on being sure. Neither company wants to admit to something and take a financial hit, but it helps when there are people in their corner helping at least.

Tyler

I changed with Amsoil signature series on my first service. Not sure if it's worth it since I don't keep vehicles more that 3 yrs but it makes me feel good lol. $12.95 / QT @ 9 Qts, yep that hurt lol, but I'll do it again for future oil changes.

$12.95 a quart. :omg::happysad:

Yep, purchased from the website. Well have the local advanced auto or auto zone that carries Amsoil but didn't have the signature series. Also the military base which I have access to carries Amsoil also. Just hadn't checked if they had the signature series. Next change ill be more prepared.

I put 225,000 on a 99, 135,000 on a 08, 45,000 on my current 14, and 40,000 on my SS Camaro, all without any engine issues or oil burning... using $5/quart silver bottle stuff, changed when the OLM light came on. Call it 5500 miles on average. 445,000 miles with no issues whatsoever (the 99 continues to run great and is well past 300k with the current owner.). With $13/quart oil, at an average of 6.5 quarts, it'd have cost another $4200 for the oil. Not a major cost as it would be spread over 18 years. But what difference would I see?

Edited by spurshot

I put 225,000 on a 99, 135,000 on a 08, 45,000 on my current 14, and 40,000 on my SS Camaro, all without any engine issues or oil burning... using $5/quart silver bottle stuff, changed when the OLM light came on. Call it 5500 miles on average. 445,000 miles with no issues whatsoever (the 99 continues to run great and is well past 300k with the current owner.). With $13/quart oil, at an average of 6.5 quarts, it'd have cost another $4200 for the oil. Not a major cost as it would be spread over 18 years. But what difference would I see?

Agree.

That's why I posted the $12.95 a quart. :bs:

:nonod:

:happysad:

Edited by diyer2

I believe amsoil is pushing for 25k oil changes. That scenario shows a cost benefitover other brands. The only unknown to that is all the oil tests floating around showing amsoil outperforming all the others is with new oil. How about oil performance at its interval limit? The real question is: what is the wear protection difference over the long haul using each oil maker's recommended interval?

I'm not denigrating any brand. Just don't have enough information.

Edited by spurshot