IPhone 8 & wireless charging pad

Chatted with the GMC Infotainment division this evening. They said that since the iPhone 8 just rolled out they haven't had a chance to test the phone. I was advised to check back in a couple of weeks to check the compatibility status. He said that not all phones are compatible with the wireless charging feature. I mentioned that the standards are shared between the iPhone 8 and the GMC, but he just sent me the link below, 3 times.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/static/pageImages/learnAbout/articles/documents/GM_Wireless_Charging_Compatible_Device.pdf

Well I know that at least one of the phones on there that says is incompatible, is in fact compatible. So I'm not sure how accurate that is

My Samsung S7 Edge is physically too wide to sit down in the tray properly. Even without the case.

I think if the tray were 1/16" wider, we'd all be happy as clams. OR at least whine about the lousy charging.

But I agree with the Android Auto the issue is moot. It just seems like on a $50k+ truck, using the wireless charger should be up to me.

Edited by Nick The Great
  • Like 1

My Samsung S7 Edge is physically too wide to sit down in the tray properly. Even without the case.

I think if the tray were 1/16" wider, we'd all be happy as clams. OR at least whine about the lousy charging.

But I agree with the Android Auto the issue is moot. It just seems like on a $50k+ truck, using the wireless charger should be up to me.

Totally agree... although all my phones have worked, it's a lousy design. Just bad engineering, especially with how large phones are and have been. It's nothing new. Should have been considered

I have an S7 and I'm confused by this thread.

And I didn't watch the whole video.

My S7 will charge on my 2016 SLT's pad. No mods to pad, no mods to phone (and no extra case on phone).

The phone must be placed towards the rear to charge. The method is to hold on an angle with the bottom against the ridge on the rear and then lower the rest of the phone. Works every time. But - if the phone sides ahead it will stop charging and the process will need to be repeated.

All of that said, the wireless charger is slow. If you want AA to operate, it won't work unless the cable is plugged in anyway.

If you're looking for a 'quick top-up' on the battery, the cable is the better way.

I leave a cable plugged into one of the usb's in the armrest/console with the end for the phone sticking out (a little) thru one of the notches.

I have an S7 and I'm confused by this thread.

And I didn't watch the whole video.

My S7 will charge on my 2016 SLT's pad. No mods to pad, no mods to phone (and no extra case on phone).

The phone must be placed towards the rear to charge. The method is to hold on an angle with the bottom against the ridge on the rear and then lower the rest of the phone. Works every time. But - if the phone sides ahead it will stop charging and the process will need to be repeated.

All of that said, the wireless charger is slow. If you want AA to operate, it won't work unless the cable is plugged in anyway.

If you're looking for a 'quick top-up' on the battery, the cable is the better way.

I leave a cable plugged into one of the usb's in the armrest/console with the end for the phone sticking out (a little) thru one of the notches.

You don't find it odd that a wireless phone charging tray won't wirelessly charge a phone?

Just because I don't use the trailer light plug, wouldn't excuse GM in my mind if they used some weird plug that didn't fit half the trailers out there.

I have two 2016 Chevy's - neither of them charge the iPhone 8. When I called the Infotaiment folks they told me the same thing listed above - the phone was too new to "test" on the charging mat. I would certainly think that Apple and GM could have gotten together before this to "test" the charging mat's capability along with the phone's. I also received an email response telling me to take the vehicle(s) into my local Chevrolet dealer to have the mat checked. My phone works on every other charging mat and the mat(s) are energized - they are just not powerful enough to worth this the new Qi technology. My suggestion is that GM replace the current power supply with something more powerful so that we can start using this feature in our overpriced vehicles.

You don't find it odd that a wireless phone charging tray won't wirelessly charge a phone?

Just because I don't use the trailer light plug, wouldn't excuse GM in my mind if they used some weird plug that didn't fit half the trailers out there.

Mine works fine -- it's just slow.

I was sort of responding to the start of the video Ididn't watch the whole thing) that seemed to be saying that it won't work with an S7 unless it is trimmed.

I don't think Apple is telling anyone the details of their future product plans. (or even if they were going play catch up and add it to their phones)

• 2 weeks later...

I have gone through the process like the rest of you: make sure my iPhone 8 (no case) works on other charging pads, make sure the pad in my 2017 Sierra has power, took it to the dealership, called GMC infotanement customer service who ‘opened a case’ on the issue. I doubt GMC will do anything about this and I imagine we are out of luck. I’d say our best bet is for everyone with this issue to that you call your dealership and call GMC customer service. The squeaky wheel might just get the grease. 

On 10/3/2017 at 9:33 AM, Nick The Great said:

What I'm sayin' is it charges my S7 fine.

And since the previous posts I've had someone with an S8 in the truck and their phone charged on the pad as well.  

Still haven't had a chance to try an i8 apple.

Edited by redwngr

I plan to put the wireless pad on the repair order every time I take the vehicle in for an oil change.  The interesting thing to me is,  eventhough the dealers or GM wont answer us on the pad not working,  what will they tell prospective vehicle buyers sitting in the $50k plus vehicle that drop their iphone 8 on the pad a nothing happens?  

I plan to put the wireless pad on the repair order every time I take the vehicle in for an oil change.  The interesting thing to me is,  eventhough the dealers or GM wont answer us on the pad not working,  what will they tell prospective vehicle buyers sitting in the $50k plus vehicle that drop their iphone 8 on the pad a nothing happens?  
They'll tell them to buy an android LOL

2 hours ago, 8lugmafia said:
8 hours ago, razor2307 said:

They'll tell them to buy an android LOL

Or to plug it in, so they can use CarPlay.

10 hours ago, redwngr said:

Or to plug it in, so they can use CarPlay.

there should be a way to use car play/android auto via bluetooth. that would be so much better... or be able to activate screen projection wirelessly