IPhone 8 & wireless charging pad

Unfortunately I tried this and failed. When taking the module apart there was a ton of adhesive on both sides of that thin plastic shield and it stretched out my coil of wire. The adhesive on that plastic was stuck to the cover and stuck to the copper coil of wire. It even tore the thin plastic shield thingy.  I used a hair dryer to warm it up some to try and loosen the adhesive which helped some.   There was no damage to the coil of wire that I could see. So I carefully pressed it back in place but after reassembled it would not work. And I did remove the magnet too. I did notice the tag on my plastic shield I removed said 09-17 and the one in the video I beleieve said 13-17. Maybe they are different modules?  I have a 2017 Sierra HD Denali. I placed the phone right on the module before reinstalling and it wouldn’t connect at all. Prior to my modification it would connect for 3 seconds or so, then disconnect and never charge. Maybe I’ll try ordering an 18 module?

26BA169B-A97E-4E72-8B26-F37FE84B2D85.jpeg

• Sad 1

I THINK it's more of a "repeater" it's just a magnet... Which Is what's used to charge.

ALSO- I think some phones aren't capable of rapid charge- iPhone is.

Lastly, you can lay your iPhone directly on the actual charger it will not charge with that piece move it and lay it on the coils and it charges... It simply blocks the signal for iPhone 8&10

So a couple of things about recent posts on this site - first, while it is true that the 18 models will work with the iPhone 8/10, the two modules have different part numbers and the 16-17 module has a 6 pin connector, while the 18 module has a 4 pin connector.  Leave it the GM to change the wiring harness even though nothing about the console or infotainment center has changed.  I'm guessing that eventually someone (aftermarket is my guess) will find a way to retrofit the 18 module into the 16/17 model years.  

Second, I removed the thin plastic piece from my 16 Tahoe and yes, my iPhone 8 will work, however, the only way it works is if the phone is sitting on the charging mat when you start the vehicle (or power up in the accessory mode) - if power is on and you drop the phone on the mat, it will not work.  Not sure why, but this seems very odd to me.  I completely blame GM for this problem and hoping they will either find a fix for it soon or at least allow consumers to "upgrade" to something that works.  

22 hours ago, rtreptow7 said:

Unfortunately I tried this and failed. When taking the module apart there was a ton of adhesive on both sides of that thin plastic shield and it stretched out my coil of wire. The adhesive on that plastic was stuck to the cover and stuck to the copper coil of wire. It even tore the thin plastic shield thingy.  I used a hair dryer to warm it up some to try and loosen the adhesive which helped some.   There was no damage to the coil of wire that I could see. So I carefully pressed it back in place but after reassembled it would not work. And I did remove the magnet too. I did notice the tag on my plastic shield I removed said 09-17 and the one in the video I beleieve said 13-17. Maybe they are different modules?  I have a 2017 Sierra HD Denali. I placed the phone right on the module before reinstalling and it wouldn’t connect at all. Prior to my modification it would connect for 3 seconds or so, then disconnect and never charge. Maybe I’ll try ordering an 18 module?

You've got this apart does the 6 pin harness have a 5v or 12v source? I ask because it might be good to buy a good Qi charger on Amazon and see if you can retrofit it in place. Sure the green icon won't show on infotainment but who cares the phone will show it charges.

Just a note I would attempt this but I have a 2018 Denali 3500 on order (2016 Denali 2500 just won't cut it anymore for towing) so I look forward to the new compatibility. I had a S7 Edge and it didn't work. Same issue 3-4 second icon and disappeared and would not charge

Edited by DHG.

Here is what I ordered yesterday after trying the trick did not work.  The second part is a harness that plug in between the cigarette lighter and the cable so that you can get the +12V power and not modify cables.  It is a great  little T-Harness in my opinion.  I should have everything within the next week and I will let you all know how it works.  It goes in the factory spot so that it looks nice.

http://www.brandmotion.com/2015-tahoe-suburban-yukon-qi-wireless-charging-kit-fdmc-1273.html

and

http://www.brandmotion.com/freedomcharge-power-point-t-harness-fdmc-1900.html

12 hours ago, Steelersfan1 said:

So a couple of things about recent posts on this site - first, while it is true that the 18 models will work with the iPhone 8/10, the two modules have different part numbers and the 16-17 module has a 6 pin connector, while the 18 module has a 4 pin connector.  Leave it the GM to change the wiring harness even though nothing about the console or infotainment center has changed.  I'm guessing that eventually someone (aftermarket is my guess) will find a way to retrofit the 18 module into the 16/17 model years.  

Second, I removed the thin plastic piece from my 16 Tahoe and yes, my iPhone 8 will work, however, the only way it works is if the phone is sitting on the charging mat when you start the vehicle (or power up in the accessory mode) - if power is on and you drop the phone on the mat, it will not work.  Not sure why, but this seems very odd to me.  I completely blame GM for this problem and hoping they will either find a fix for it soon or at least allow consumers to "upgrade" to something that works.  

TRY TURNING THE PHONE ON... As in unlock it and go to home screen... AFTER the truck is on as you suggested. 

Mine is the same way... BUT if I flip it on first it'll work. 

1 hour ago, AlabamaBishop said:

TRY TURNING THE PHONE ON... As in unlock it and go to home screen... AFTER the truck is on as you suggested. 

Mine is the same way... BUT if I flip it on first it'll work. 

I don’t think I tried that. May have to pull it apart again and try!  Any special way the phone has to be sitting on the mat?

9 minutes ago, rtreptow7 said:

I don’t think I tried that. May have to pull it apart again and try!  Any special way the phone has to be sitting on the mat?

Mine needs to be on the mat at the very bottom. 

FOR ME- once the phone has connected one time (that trip) it always will connect. 

I have to start the truck flip the lockscreen open and set it down... after that it’s good to go.

I have a 2016 Sierra All Terrain X and just got the iPhone X.  I went ahead and followed your instructions and removed the plastic/magnet piece and the phone will charge sitting right on top of the charger/black box but when I install everything and try the phone on the rubber mat on top of the lid I get the little green lightening bolt on the screen for maybe 3 to 5 seconds and nothing happens with the phone.  I tried to unlock and put it on there while unlocked and I still get nothing.  It seems like the rubber mat is too thick maybe.  My rubber mat is the one with ridges so it does raise the phone up a tiny bit.  I am testing the phone with no case too.  Is there anything else I can try?  I really dont want to pull out the rubber mat.  Any suggestions AlabamaBishop?

Thanks a lot GM...this is just ridiculous...:banghead:

2 hours ago, robby said:

I have a 2016 Sierra All Terrain X and just got the iPhone X.  I went ahead and followed your instructions and removed the plastic/magnet piece and the phone will charge sitting right on top of the charger/black box but when I install everything and try the phone on the rubber mat on top of the lid I get the little green lightening bolt on the screen for maybe 3 to 5 seconds and nothing happens with the phone.  I tried to unlock and put it on there while unlocked and I still get nothing.  It seems like the rubber mat is too thick maybe.  My rubber mat is the one with ridges so it does raise the phone up a tiny bit.  I am testing the phone with no case too.  Is there anything else I can try?  I really dont want to pull out the rubber mat.  Any suggestions AlabamaBishop?

I liked the idea black felt would that work. I saw it in a youtube video. It was a bit more elaborate then just felt but maybe a little black Alcantara piece glued directly down would work and look and feel high end?

Edited by DHG.

19 hours ago, robby said:

Cuz when the design was purchased/released for 2016 production they knew apple was going to decide to join the rest of the world in 2018 and release a wireless charge phone.

I'm not surprised apple would release one that doesn't work with the chargers that are already out there  --- they like to have everything different. 

24 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Cuz when the design was purchased/released for 2016 production they knew apple was going to decide to join the rest of the world in 2018 and release a wireless charge phone.

I'm not surprised apple would release one that doesn't work with the chargers that are already out there  --- they like to have everything different

No, but my 2017 GM owner's manual says the wireless charger in my truck is both PMA and QI compatible...and Apple says that it is not.  Somebody is not telling the truth.  

• Like 1