IPhone 8 & wireless charging pad

29 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Cuz when the design was purchased/released for 2016 production they knew apple was going to decide to join the rest of the world in 2018 and release a wireless charge phone.

I'm not surprised apple would release one that doesn't work with the chargers that are already out there  --- they like to have everything different. 

This is not an apple issue.  I have an old wireless charger here at my office that follow the Qi Spec and it charges my iPhone X just fine.  GM is the one that did not follow the spec and it will not charge the phones.

All the samsungs that are out there are charging fine of using the Qi standard.

Apple fail, to jump to an different revision of Qi, or to implement the one they used differently than the one working for other phone makers. 

Just now, redwngr said:

All the samsungs that are out there are charging fine of using the Qi standard.

Apple fail, to jump to an different revision of Qi, or to implement the one they used differently than the one working for other phone makers. 

Ummm, no, not all the Samsungs out there are charging just fine.  My wife has a Galaxy S7 (non-edge) and it connects for 3 seconds and then stops.  Again, GM did not follow the Qi specs which means that not all phones will work.  If they correctly followed the specs, there would be no issues at all.  Why do you think that the 18's have no issue with any phone at all?  GM changed the module and followed the correct specs, hence why it works in those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redwngr said:

Some people haven't learned how to place the s7 on the pad. Ours works first time every time.

I

I took the wireless charger module out and touched the phone directly to it and it does the same thing.  Again, it is a GM issue, not an Apple issue.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this.  I just want GM to fix the issue that they clearly caused by not following the proper specs.  I can tell you that if Apple did not follow the spec, my iPhone X would not charge on this old wireless charger that I have sitting at my desk here at work.  This charger is also only a 5W charger so it is not a fast charger or anyting like that since that is newer technology with the standards specs.

8 minutes ago, David Ulbrich said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this.  I just want GM to fix the issue that they clearly caused by not following the proper specs.  I can tell you that if Apple did not follow the spec, my iPhone X would not charge on this old wireless charger that I have sitting at my desk here at work.  This charger is also only a 5W charger so it is not a fast charger or anyting like that since that is newer technology with the standards specs.

i believe the gm chargers are less than half the wattage of that

5 minutes ago, 8lugmafia said:

i believe the gm chargers are less than half the wattage of that

Which means that they did not follow the Qi Spec.  See below for version 1.0 of the spec.

A brief history of the Qi specification

Qi specifications are numbered with three digits: X.Y.Z. For example 1.0.3

• X is called the major revision number. Specifications with the same major revision number are backward and forward compatible.
  • Y is called the minor revision number. A change in minor revision number implies that new requirements are introduced while maintaining backward compatibility previously certified products
  • Z is called the editorial revision number. Editorial revisions include clarifications, integrate new transmitter designs into one document, and may add new test to the test specifications.

CURRENT VERSION OF THE QI SPECIFICATION

The current version of the Qi specification has version number 1.2.3. The Qi specification that is available for public download has version 1.2.2. Version 1.2.3 is available only to members of the Wireless Power Consortium. It will be made available for public download later in 2017. 

HISTORY OF THE QI SPECIFICATION

Version 1.0

• Qi transmitter delivers 5 Watt power into a Qi phone.
  • Choice of transmitter designs include single coil transmitter, coil array transmitter, and moving coil transmitter.
  • High flexibility in design of Qi receivers
  • Limited flexibility in the design of Qi transmitters

Version 1.1

• Increased design freedom for transmitters. You can now choose between 12 different transmitter specifications.
  • Increased sensitivity of "Foreign Object Detection". This prevents heating of metal objects in the neighborhood of an active transmitter.
  • The possibility to power a Qi transmitter with a USB charger.

Version 1.2

• Fast charging. The possibility for transmitters to deliver up to 15 Watt power and the option for receivers to obtain up to 15 Watt.
  • An improved thermal test for transmitters
  • Improved timing requirements
  • Changed limits for Foreign Object Detection improve the sensitivity.
  • Optional unique identifier for power receivers (WP-ID)

I did verify that with the magnet and thin piece of plastic out, my iPhone 8 will charge if it is laying on the mat before I start the truck.  If I pick it up then set it back down it won’t reconnect. Tried with phone unlocked and locked. Tried laying it down from the back to front, front to back, etc.  and it won’t reconnect. 

I went back into the module tonight and realized I only got the plastic thing out.  The magnet was stuck to the middle of the coil so I pulled the magnet out and it worked.  It even works with a fake leather case I got on amazon.  Seems to be charging very slowly but charging nonetheless.  Does the thickness of the case impact the amount of charge it can pull?  Basically does it charge faster without a case vs with a case?

Funny observation today. Had my phone plugged in to usb cable under intelilink display to charge. Was sitting on charging mat face up with home button facing front of truck. 10 minutes into my drive the charging lightning bolt icon came on indicating my phone was charging. I left it on the tray and unplugged the usb and it kept charging wirelessly with the little green charging icon showing up on display. I picked it up for a minute and tried putting it back down and it wouldn’t connect again. No mater how I placed it. Tried reproducing the scenario by plugging usb back in and putting it on there but couldn’t get it to do it again. Odd. 

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/11/general-motors-chevrolet-buick-gmc-cadillac-iphone-8-and-iphone-x-wireless-charging-compatibility/

this article states what was suspected...some of GM's wireless charging pads were not built to Qi standards in their 2017 and earlier models.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2016 Sierra with the wireless charging pad that didn’t work on my iPhone X. I tried flipping around the pad as I have seen suggested but that didn’t work. I have a friend that works for Chevy in Houston that I called about this. Since the new 2018 GM models work with it we ordered a new wireless charger from the 18. It works. He did say he had to hardwire at on end since the plug was different. The new pad was $250 and the dealership charges about $100 for the Install.

Unreal - so you are telling me that a dealership actually cut the wire to the original charger and installed the new one?  I find that hard to believe.  Not to mention the fact that they want $250 for a wireless charging device similar to one you can get on Amazon.com for $25!!  I refuse to pay that kind of money when I own well over $110,000 worth of Chevy products and they can't even get a simple wireless charger to work!!!  I would like to get the name of the dealership in Houston that did this "modification" and have my dealership research it.  Feel free to provide the details.  Thanks.