IPhone 8 & wireless charging pad

Got a new iPhone 8. Was hoping the wireless charging would work in my new 2017 2500 Denali. I can't get it to work unfortunately. If I place the phone just right, I can get it to connect (little green lightning bolt shows up on the display) for about 3-4 seconds then it disconnects. Did some internet research and removed the rubber mat in the charging area and it was easier to get it connected, but would only stay connected for the 3-4 seconds then stop charging. This was both with and without a thin leather iPhone case. I did read somewhere that this GM charging mat is only a 1 amp and that the phone may require a 2 amp connection to charge wirelessly? Just curious if anyone else picked up an iPhone 8 and had tried getting it to work with the GM wireless charger or if there is any "fix" for this.

I have an iPhone SE which does not have the wireless charging but I bought a wireless charging device that was a thin pad that fits in the iPhone case and a charge pad you place the phone on. That worked OK at home but when I tried it on my truck console, it was very finicky and really more of a PITA than a benefit. It took longer to find the sweet spot that started the battery charge than it did to just plug it in and leave it safely inside the console, better than putting it on the charge pad that would would allow the phone to go flying in an accident or a hard breaking situation. I think the charge pad on my 2016 Silverado is a poorly thought out addition and I would give it a fail.

It is the only thing I really do not like about my truck,

I have a Galaxy S8 and it's the same thing more or less. I can get it to connect provided I have no case on my phone( which is never) but it doesn't really seem to charge. I just use the Android auto and have the phone tethered to the truck's dash thus charging it and not needing the pad anyway.

I'm having the same issue in a 2017 Sierra Denali. My iPhone 8 won't charge with or without the case. I can't get it to connect at all with the rubber insert in place, but when I removed the rubber insert it will connect to my truck, but only for a few seconds and then it drops. I was using an iPhone 6 in a Bezalel case and it worked perfectly fine, but the iPhone 8 won't charge at all.

In this particular case with the iPhone 8, I really don't think the problem is the rubber mat or that the phone isn't sitting correctly on the mat. When I completely remove the mat and the phone is not in a case, I can easily place the phone pretty much anywhere on the charging tray and the little charging icon appears almost immediately on the touch screen (little green lightning bolt by the phone icon) and then goes away after 3 or 4 seconds. From what I've read on the internet, it appears the iPhone 8 needs a 2amp wireless charger to work properly. Found this from another internet forum regarding the GM Charging pad: "I tore the unit apart and found that it only provides about 1 amp of power which is not enough to power the new generation of wirelessly charging phones. As i understand it, if you have a phone that is capable of "fast charging, you need 2 amps to make this feature work..."

In this particular case with the iPhone 8, I really don't think the problem is the rubber mat or that the phone isn't sitting correctly on the mat. When I completely remove the mat and the phone is not in a case, I can easily place the phone pretty much anywhere on the charging tray and the little charging icon appears almost immediately on the touch screen (little green lightning bolt by the phone icon) and then goes away after 3 or 4 seconds. From what I've read on the internet, it appears the iPhone 8 needs a 2amp wireless charger to work properly. Found this from another internet forum regarding the GM Charging pad: "I tore the unit apart and found that it only provides about 1 amp of power which is not enough to power the new generation of wirelessly charging phones. As i understand it, if you have a phone that is capable of "fast charging, you need 2 amps to make this feature work..."

Fast charging has been in androids for years. My note 5 from two years ago worked, and so does my note 8. I wouldn't say that the new generation of wirelessly charging phones won't work. Maybe it's an iPhone thing, but the androids charge fine with the low power

I am experiencing the same thing on a 2016 Tahoe. Regardless of where I place the Iphone 8 it will not wireless charge. A friends Samsung works fine. A GM rep indicated it could be related to where Apple put the charging coil in the 8. Disappointing that GM and Apple didnt get this right. Probably didnt help that Apple was so late in wireless charging. Its part of the reason I waited on this Apple phone. At this point, Im not willing to take the rubber pad off until I hear more from GM.

razor2307, don't bother taking the rubber mat off, it doesn't fix the situation. I tried. Taking the rubber mat off allowed the truck to connect to the phone more easily for 3-4 seconds, but then it disconnects and never charges. I too would like to know if there is a way to upgrade the charging pad in the truck. I'm disappointed Apple and GM didn't get this to work.

• Like 1

Found this regarding the type of wireless charging iPhone 8 uses: "The new iPhone 8 and 8S phones use the older 1.1 Qi wireless charging standard developed under the Wireless Power Consortium (WPC); it supports 7.5W (5V/1.5A) wireless charging."

and found this from a GM Website:

"GM’s wireless charging feature supports both the Powermat and Qi wireless charging standards. Specifically, the system supports the following wireless charging specifications:

• PMA 1.0 (Powermat)
  • WPC 1.0 (Qi)
  • WPC 1.1 (Qi)

By supporting the two major wireless charging systems, General Motors has ensured that its vehicles are future-proofed and does not lock customers into a single standard."

They appear to be compatible?????

Edited by rtreptow7

I agree rtreptow7. My Tahoe owners manual indicates what you found that the wireless pad supports both PMA and Qi wireless charging. My Iphone 8 does nothing when I set it on it. I verified my vehicle pad works with a Samsung, I verified my Iphone 8 charges wirelessly at a pad at Best Buy. I have contacted both Chevy dealers here but havent heard back yet. It seems like a GM problem.

Chatted with the GMC Infotainment division this evening. They said that since the iPhone 8 just rolled out they haven't had a chance to test the phone. I was advised to check back in a couple of weeks to check the compatibility status. He said that not all phones are compatible with the wireless charging feature. I mentioned that the standards are shared between the iPhone 8 and the GMC, but he just sent me the link below, 3 times.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/static/pageImages/learnAbout/articles/documents/GM_Wireless_Charging_Compatible_Device.pdf