Should my spring hanger look this rough?

It's a 2014 gmc sierra 1500 SLE z71 double cab 4wd. It was previously a leased vehicle. I purchased it about a month ago with 35k miles on it. I have put 2500 miles on it since I've had it. I also purchased the extended warranty to carry everything through to the 100k mile mark. I called the main gm number twice and a local dealership once. Their just giving me the run around. My opinion it shouldn't look like this at the miles and only being 3 years old. The dealer told me that winter conditions could be the cause. 3 YEARS!! I've got a 94 f150 that's seen 23 years of winter and has a better looking frame than the gmc.

1- should the spring hanger look this bad?

And 2- do I need to continue to press this issue with gm?

Fyi the exterior of the rear frame has been coated probably by the dealer I purchased it from. The rest of the frame still has the wax coating on it. I'll try to get some more pictures of the bottom and inside frame rails this evening. 2f9d92f696288be1dc81b1b48ed2605f.jpg8f10bafe51391bad2bd96b9fd26d155b.jpgb7d6357d3b8877fcfdd51b58ab166f36.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

unfortunately, I'm guessing you're not going to get anywhere with GM. Frames rust. Mine is a year newer than yours and I have some rust forming that's visible through the rear wheel wells too.

It's out of the bumper to bumper warranty period and I have a feeling your extended warranty won't do anything about this.

FYI, your truck being a 2014 model was likely built in the fall of '13, so in reality its closer to 4 years old already.

That rust is purely cosmetic at this point. What I would do is take some sandpaper and fully sand the surface rust off. I would clean with aerosol brake cleaner. Either coat with a high quality enamel, or the original wax coating available through Dauberts. It is called X-121B.

It sucks to see rust on the vehicles we spend lots of money on.

I always tell people when buying vehicles to take a look underneath. Very few people do that and end up with a surprise after they've bought the vehicle.

If I was you I'd take the truck and have it undercoated at a ruputable place like Ziebart or Krown.

I've always taken my vehicles to Krown and they still look good after years of driving through harsh winters.

Washing down and cleaning the undercarriage helps too...

If the rust is only at the back of the frame, maybe the previous owner was a boat owner! I would push a little harder at the dealer to see if they won't clean it up for you. It is a messy job to do yourself without a lift and proper equipment. However, you did purchase the truck in this condition and I think it would be very gracious of the dealer to make it better than at time of sale.

I'm planning on taking it to the dealership tomorrow and having them check it out. Very doubtful they'll do anything.

The only place that I'm aware of around me that does undercoating is line-x. I don't know anybody that's had it done by them so I'm not sure of the quality. But if it's my only option then I'll be trying it out. Either way I'll be getting it coated before winter hits.

It's just frustrating having to deal with this so soon.

The only place that I'm aware of around me that does undercoating is line-x. I don't know anybody that's had it done by them so I'm not sure of the quality. But if it's my only option then I'll be trying it out.

Interesting you mention this, I was just at my local Line-X dealer last night getting a quote for a bed liner and they were telling me about their new undercoating. This is the first I've heard of Line-X doing undercoating, but am not also interested if anyone has had this done and if so what are your thoughts.

I studied rustproofing quite a bit and ended up going with Carwell (comparable to Krown). Line-X appeared to be a good alternative, however, I was concerned about performing repairs. I thought the coating would interfere with removing bolts and such. It would also need to be retouched after repairs were completed in order to maintain the integrity of the coating. I further wondered how complete the coverage would be, especially in rust prone areas such as inside doors, rocker panels and cab corners.

The Carwell product really penetrates, creeps and lubricates. I just had it done and was rather impressed. I only saw positive reviews from long term customers.

Ziebart did not inspire confidence with me. In addition to concerns similar to those I mentioned about performing repairs, I read that if the seal is disturbed, water and salt can actually become trapped behind the coating and held against the metal.

I would be reluctant to apply Ziebart or Line-X over existing rust, for concern of sealing the rust in. Carwell is supposed to prevent rust from forming, and stop it from progressing where it already exists.

I guess anything is better than nothing, but concluded that Carwell appeared to be the best option for me. I guess time will tell.

Best Of Luck.

Interesting you mention this, I was just at my local Line-X dealer last night getting a quote for a bed liner and they were telling me about their new undercoating. This is the first I've heard of Line-X doing undercoating, but am not also interested if anyone has had this done and if so what are your thoughts.

I called line x today to get a quote and some info on it. They spray basically everything on the underbody including frame. With the exception of the muffler and things of that nature. My bed is rhino lined on the inside already, so the undercoating on the bottom side of the bed would just be an added protection . He also mentioned some kind of gas/fume treatment that seals the inside of the rockers, and cab corners. (Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me) All in all he quoted me about a thousand bucks for the product. Any prep work will be additional. And they have to keep my truck for 2 days. Would like to hear some reviews on it before hand if possible.

I studied rustproofing quite a bit and ended up going with Carwell (comparable to Krown). Line-X appeared to be a good alternative, however, I was concerned about performing repairs. I thought the coating would interfere with removing bolts and such. It would also need to be retouched after repairs were completed in order to maintain the integrity of the coating. I further wondered how complete the coverage would be, especially in rust prone areas such as inside doors, rocker panels and cab corners.

The Carwell product really penetrates, creeps and lubricates. I just had it done and was rather impressed. I only saw positive reviews from long term customers.

Ziebart did not inspire confidence with me. In addition to concerns similar to those I mentioned about performing repairs, I read that if the seal is disturbed, water and salt can actually become trapped behind the coating and held against the metal.

I would be reluctant to apply Ziebart or Line-X over existing rust, for concern of sealing the rust in. Carwell is supposed to prevent rust from forming, and stop it from progressing where it already exists.

I guess anything is better than nothing, but concluded that Carwell appeared to be the best option for me. I guess time will tell.

Best Of Luck.

I mentioned repair work to the rep at line x. He told me that it's not the line-x material, it's an underbody spray. So I would imagine that it's a more pliable material. I did not get the exact name of the product so I'm not able to look it up.

He also mentioned another treatment for inside the doors, hood, tailgate, cab corners, and rocker panels. Basically anywhere that's double walled. It's a gas/fume treatment that's supposed to seal everything. I have heard people mention something like it before but I don't think it was line-x who they were talking about.

Archived