V4 mode

Welcome to this forum! You will find a lot of information and discussion regarding this topic on this site. I personally like this feature and it has never created a concern for me or changed the quality of my ride. The only way it is noticeable is the green indicator on the dash. If you are noticing a difference perhaps it needs servicing rather than removal.

I have read that people disable the V4 mode, but why? What are the supposed advantages of doing this?

For me I just found it annoying and after disabling it my mileage didn't change. It was always going in/out of V4 mode and I never thought the transition was as smooth as GM advertises. I used a DiabloSport inTune i2 tuner which cost me $360.

The AFM has been seamless on this 2017, as was my 2013. I disabled the AFM on the 2013 via the Diablosport Intune I-1000 mainly due to the Vortecs having oil consumption issues later in life due to the cylinder deactivation. I have not heard of this on the Ecotec3 line of engines, but I am sure some have experienced it, probably due to poor oil change habits.

I think v4 mode is pointless. When u had it my truck qpuod constantly fluctuate between 25-30mpg. With it off. I can stay at a constant 26 27 mpg so it's all in how you look at at

I have read that people disable the V4 mode, but why? What are the supposed advantages of doing this?

Mostly to avoid the drone associated with V4 mode when running an aftermarket exhaust. I have a Borla muffler and the sound when it switches into v4 can be annoying at times, but the 6.2 sounds oh so sweet when all 8 pistons are pumping. I also despise the lag I feel when I hit the gas if the truck is in V4. Seems like it takes about a second to get full power all the way down the driveline once the other 4 cylinders kick in. I’d rather have all 8 cylinders poised and ready instead of napping. Just my preference.

Personally for me I like the V4 at speeds 60 and under. When you start doing 70+, it's annoying as hell constantly kicking in and out. You don't notice it so much in the way the engine runs, but the torque converter is constantly searching like it doesn't know where it should lock-up. By the time in locks-up, it's unlocking and moving again. That'd be about my only real complaint. I loved my Range AFM disabler, however I can't run it right now as I'm doing testing to see if it was the cause of my reduced power steering assist error messages.

Archived