I have a 2016 Silvarado LTZ Z71 4x4 with the 8 speed... About 13,500 miles on it and it's started to develop a "shudder" and it's been shifting harder. On cruise control it will shudder at around 1300 rpm with speed staying constant. I've driven it in manual on new roads at 35 MPH and it also shudders around the same RPM range. We're talking about vibration enough to shake the steering wheel. Almost the same effect as driving over bumps in the road. When driving it very aggressively at higher RPMs the issue isn't as severe. Also when drifting, aka letting the vehicle decelerate, the issue goes away. 

Has anyone had the same issue with the 2016 8 speed? Any solutions?

I'd like to have an idea of what the problem is before going to the dealership tomorrow. I bet $100 they'll tell me it's the tires....

Thanks for input,

JK29

You didn't mention the engine size in your truck. Mine is a 2016 with the 6.2 and 8 speed and it did the same thing 3 weeks ago at 22,000 miles. Took it into the dealer thinking it was the torque converter as well. All they did was a software update and I haven't had any issues since...keeping my fingers crossed. 

Dropped it off Friday at 9am. They finally looked at it today (Thursday)...

Diagnosed it as a problem with the exhaust dampener and clamps. Apparently there is a bulletin out from Chevy on it. They've ordered parts should be finishing up with it tomorrow....

Sound plausible? Sounds weak to me... Guess I'll find out.

EDIT:

"Apparently the techs have witnessed it many times" - Service Dude

Bulletin #: Pip5228d

Yall are going to love this.....

They "fixed" the exhaust dampener  (PIP528d).... Problem still there. 

Now they have a new bulletin (16-NA-175). Guess what?!... It's the Torque Converter like yall advised at the start... and I told them on Friday morning.... Of course they don't have the fluid in stock.... 

3 hours ago, JK29 said:

Now they have a new bulletin (16-NA-175). Guess what?!... It's the Torque Converter like yall advised at the start... and I told them on Friday morning.... Of course they don't have the fluid in stock.... 

Just saw this after I sent you a message.  Hop on board the torque converter replacement train.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the Summery of how this all turned out:

• Dropped off on 10-20-17
  • Got back today (11-17-17)
  • Scan'ed vehicle for codes and none found.
  • Test drove and duplicated issue. Searched for bulletin and found #PIP5228D. Fixed that (exhaust dampener). Re-seated body mounts. Vibration reduced but not fixed.
  • Found 16-NA-175. Test Drove vehicle with TCC Commanded off and vibration not present. 
  • Removed transmission from truck and removed and replaced torque converter
  • Removed and replaced transmission filter and flushed cooler. 
  • Filled transmission and test drove = vibration not present.

Problem seems to have been corrected. I didn't notice anything on my 15 min drive home at any speed. 

Edit:

They said today that mine was the first one they've seen, but they got two more of my generation with the same issue this week.  

I had same issue this week. '16 5.3 8 speed, 22,550 miles. Started the dreaded shudder about 2 weeks ago and got worse, dropped it off Monday. Gave me a loaner (needed fluid) truck done Wednesday. They flushed and drained tranny 3x and filled with new fluid. Said they can only replace TQ if metal particles found.....none found "they said". GM requires customer drive 200 miles before they do anything further, if shudder still present. I have 100 on it by this afternoon and so far no shudder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived