Synthetic oil

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

So, who makes the AC Delco/GM oil that is used at dealerships? They have switched to the full synthetic at the dealer I use for service.

Mobil is who GM uses.  Our distributor is NOCO,  and every engine oil we order from GM is Mobil products, including the AC Delco branded ones. 

Best examples are the Corvette/Cadillac and Chrysler.  Corvette and Cadillac were Mobil1 for near forever, but with the advent of the Dexos line, Cadillac dropped out the Mobil1 fill, and only the Corvette is left.  Chrysler performance products are factory filled with Pennzoil products, specifically Pennzoil Platinum.  If an OEM markets a brand specific "premium" factory fill, its more than likely that they use that brand for all engine oil factory filsl, but maybe a different product line.  They also are typically the producer of the OEM branded oil (Mobil does the AC Delco for GM, its even in a Mobil Super oil bottle). 

So, who makes the AC Delco/GM oil that is used at dealerships? They have switched to the full synthetic at the dealer I use for service.
You will find it is likely a local blender that already makes a Dexos compliant oil...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

Did you full synthetic of syn-blend for the butter? If so, who made it?

As soon as anyone can provide a universal legally binding definition for those terms I'd be happy to. Or I would also accept a label that list the base stocks  and carrier oil group numbers  by percentage.  The proprietary information is in the additive recipe, not the base stock. Not providing this is like KFC refusing to say chicken is the main ingredient. KFC magic is in the spice package, not what it's put on. 

Did you know that the only court case to reach something close to a standard agreed that if a bottle of oil was at least 5% Group III or higher in group it could be called a synthetic blend? It could even be the additive carrier oil if it made up the minimum.

95% could be anything else that meets the SAE standard for vis and add package concentrations.

Let me pass that buy you slow. 95% solvent refined first cut atmospheric crude column draw mixed with 5% hydrocracked Dino juice by current definitions is a synthetic blend and can receive the SAE seal. 

Personally, I like bacon grease on mine. Load on the salt please. 

20 hours ago, newdude said:

Factory fill on 2017 trucks is full synthetic. 

Really?  In all the V8's or just one of them?  When I bought my 2017, I was told that the freebie oil changes would use a synthetic blend, not a full synthetic.  The change interval would still be every 6000 miles.

Even though my truck only has  just over 1200 miles on it today, I plan to do an oil change at 3000 miles, just to dump the factory fill oil.  The engine in my truck is the 6.2L engine and the Owner's Manual calls for 8 quarts of 0W-20 oil :eek: .  Found some deals on Mobil-1 for that oil thru Amazon and got a Mobil-1 filter too.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:45 AM, c4cruiser said:

Really?  In all the V8's or just one of them?  When I bought my 2017, I was told that the freebie oil changes would use a synthetic blend, not a full synthetic.  The change interval would still be every 6000 miles.

Even though my truck only has  just over 1200 miles on it today, I plan to do an oil change at 3000 miles, just to dump the factory fill oil.  The engine in my truck is the 6.2L engine and the Owner's Manual calls for 8 quarts of 0W-20 oil :eek: .  Found some deals on Mobil-1 for that oil thru Amazon and got a Mobil-1 filter too.

Yea all 2017 vehicles the factory fill is full synthetic (except the 6.6 Duramax).  GM started the switch back in late 2016 with the 5w30 first, and then the 0w20 followed shortly after.  They are GF-6 spec oils (which those standards go into effect 2018), so they have better SIDI fuel deposit control, and better small displacement turbo engine detonation control.  https://passenger.lubrizoladditives360.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Turbocharged-Direct-Injection-Is-Engine-Oils-Next-Big-Hurdle.pdf

The full synthetics are the Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils.  http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/  Note all licensed Gen 2 oils are full synthetics.   

Years ago, the AC Delco "Ultraguard/Gold" oil filters (made for synthetic oil and/or extended drain periods) were made by the same company that made the Mobil1 filters.  Don't know about now.  Can't even buy the AC Delco "Ultraguard/Gold" filters around here anymore.  Wonder if that means they are no longer manufactured, and people are just buying new old stock online.

Also, the K&N white "HP" oil filters with the nut welded on top used to be made by the same company that made the Mobil1 oil filters.  They still look the same, inside and out. 

20 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Years ago, the AC Delco "Ultraguard/Gold" oil filters (made for synthetic oil and/or extended drain periods) were made by the same company that made the Mobil1 filters.  Don't know about now.  Can't even buy the AC Delco "Ultraguard/Gold" filters around here anymore.  Wonder if that means they are no longer manufactured, and people are just buying new old stock online.

Also, the K&N white "HP" oil filters with the nut welded on top used to be made by the same company that made the Mobil1 oil filters.  They still look the same, inside and out. 

I had been able to get the UltraGuard Gold oil filters for my '02 Corvette thru Amazon, but I now use the Mobil-1 filter.  They cost a few bucks more but they are easily available.  I had heard that WIX makes a lot of filters for different brands.  I don't know if they would be made to different specs, based on the brand, but WIX is supposed to be another good brand of oil filter.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, Cheverado said:

Get a large coke and a good seat. I've seen this movie before.

I wasn't born a cynic. It just sort of rubs off on you. Like crap does crossing a pigpen. There are not many pigpens larger than oil and gasoline. Want to hazard a guess how I might know than as an operational fact instead of a dearly held internet gathered and groomed opinion? :lol: Then why would anyone want to? It always feels better to get your ears tickled than hear a truth. :lurk: Please, continue. I have a large box and a quart Sprite. I've seen this movie too. That seat taken? 

Archived