Is anyone else having issues with their iPhone X not charging in their 2016-2017 Tahoe/Suburban/Escalade factory charging pads?  I got the phone on Friday and put it in the cradle, but nothing happens.  No charging indication on the phone, and no lightning bolt on the vehicle display either.

I was under the impression that our vehicles supported both standards, including Qi which is what the iPhone X uses.  The phone fits perfectly in the cradle, so I don't think it's an alignment issue with the coils?  

Edited by Bangback

I was using the Apple branded Leather Case for the iPhone X, which Apple claims will work with wireless charging.

I took off the Apple case, and now when i place the bare iPhone X on the charging pad, I get the lightning bolt only for a few seconds and then it turns off.

This leads me to believe that the GM charging pad is capable of charging the iPhone X, except that the coils aren't situated in the right place.  

Does anyone know if GM redesigned the charging pad for 2018 vehicles?  Perhaps if they did, maybe older vehicles could be retrofitted with a redesigned module?

the GM wireless charger has 2 distinct problems, which can be fixed.

#1 the GM pad is nearly 2 mm thick, this greatly reduces charging capability especially if you have a case. I replace GM pad with a thin leather or leather like fabric.

#2 the GM pad is not made big enough to support the larger phones, S7-S8 and Iphone8.
by removing the center GM pad you can enlarge the area by removing the GM pad.
Mine fits my S8-Plus  with a case on it perfectly now, Tahoe 2017.

20171023_090724 (2).jpg

Edited by SSpinball
  • Like 2

On 11/6/2017 at 6:20 AM, Bangback said:

Is anyone else having issues with their iPhone X not charging in their 2016-2017 Tahoe/Suburban/Escalade factory charging pads?  I got the phone on Friday and put it in the cradle, but nothing happens.  No charging indication on the phone, and no lightning bolt on the vehicle display either.

I was under the impression that our vehicles supported both standards, including Qi which is what the iPhone X uses.  The phone fits perfectly in the cradle, so I don't think it's an alignment issue with the coils?  

If the lids are like the silverados, you can rotate the mat 180 degrees and widen your trim to allow the phone to sit freely on the rubber lip.

I don't have an iphone but it works flawlessly with my Note 8.

• 2 weeks later...

I took apart the console and took off the rubber pad.  

It doesn't work even without the rubber pad, and no case on the iPhone X. 

The lightning bolt appears on the dash display for about 5 seconds and then turns off.  The iPhone X never says "charging", like it's supposed to.

I tried putting the phone directly on the black charging module, in every position and orientation imaginable, without the armrest bezel, without the factory rubber mat, and couldn't get it to start charging, even with it centered directly on the back of the iPhone X.  There must be an incompatibility with the power being delivered versus what the iPhone X is expecting.

Edited by Bangback

On 11/8/2017 at 5:50 AM, 8lugCT said:

Only 2018+ will work with iphones

The 2018's are out right?  Does the charging module in the armrest have a different part number?  I went to chevrolet.com and it looks like the rubber pad and bezel look exactly the same from the 17's -- unless they didn't update the pictures?

On 11/7/2017 at 1:02 PM, 8lugCT said:

So many threads on this already. Only 2018+ will work 

Yes, I've seen the threads on the Galaxy's and flipping the rubber mat with the iPhones not working because of the restriction of the rubber mat lip and the bezel.  My question was particular to the iPhone X to see if anyone had tried it yet.  Thanks.

Edited by Bangback

1 hour ago, Bangback said:

Yes, I've seen the threads on the Galaxy's and flipping the rubber mat with the iPhones not working because of the restriction of the rubber mat lip and the bezel.  My question was particular to the iPhone X to see if anyone had tried it yet.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Bangback said:

The 2018's are out right?  Does the charging module in the armrest have a different part number?  I went to chevrolet.com and it looks like the rubber pad and bezel look exactly the same from the 17's -- unless they didn't update the pictures?

It's all spoken about in other threads. Can't say for sure if they're different part numbers, but they are different products. 

Edit: Here you go 

Edited by 8lugCT

19 minutes ago, 8lugCT said:

It's all spoken about in other threads. Can't say for sure if they're different part numbers, but they are different products. 

Edit: Here you go 

Ok, thanks!  I don't follow the Silverado forums, so I wasn't aware there was already a discussion on it.  I primarily hang out in the Tahoe/Suburban forum.  Thanks!

1 minute ago, Bangback said:

Ok, thanks!  I don't follow the Silverado forums, so I wasn't aware there was already a discussion on it.  I primarily hang out in the Tahoe/Suburban forum.  Thanks!

No worries. I always do a site-wide search for things to check. That's a big thread and the last few pages will be very informative for you

2 hours ago, Bangback said:

The rubber pad, power plug, and charger are all different in 2018.

1 hour ago, 8lugCT said:

No worries. I always do a site-wide search for things to check. That's a big thread and the last few pages will be very informative for you

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!   They've done a lot of work and research in the past couple of weeks too, so all the information there is very helpful!

• Like 1