Synthetic Slick50

2016 Sierra 5.3 doesnt like the cold weather and takes quite a bit longer to crank over and start in the mornings when it is cold.

Has anyone tried synthetic Slick50 to see if it leaves some lube on the engine parts to help cold weather cranking?

With this Zero weight motor oil....just curious if it will help prevent wear with cold starts?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not put anything in the oil other than a good quality oil, synthetic is even better.  It is a waste of money and GM does not recommend it.  Neither does AMSOIL.   If you use a quality synthetic in the proper weight, ie, 0w-20 you will get all the protection you will need.

At only 4,444 miles today it still has the original factory fill of 0w20 The oil level has not gone down.

After the first two free changes I might entertain switching to something a little heavier or an additive

My daughter in laws Honda Pilot that havs variable timing and cylinder deactivation calls for 0w20 and my son started using 5w30 with good results. 

19 hours ago, Paintor said:

2016 Sierra 5.3 doesnt like the cold weather and takes quite a bit longer to crank over and start in the mornings when it is cold.

Has anyone tried synthetic Slick50 to see if it leaves some lube on the engine parts to help cold weather cranking?

With this Zero weight motor oil....just curious if it will help prevent wear with cold starts?

Direct injection engines have been known to take a tick longer to start than the previous generations.  Is your battery in good shape?  Are you using Top Tier fuel of the proper octane rating or above?  Over the years, I have tried all of those additives like Slick 50, Prolong, Restore, ZMax, etc., and didn't notice that any of them made one bit of difference, except each time my wallet was a little lighter.  Now I am older and hopefully a little wiser and don't spend my hard-earned $ on that snake oil crap.  But I do use Chevron Techron Fuel System (not Fuel Injector) cleaner at each oil change as recommended by GM (it is the same as GM fuel system cleaner), because some of the gas stations around here are apparently selling scummy pond water laced with moonshine and marking it as 87 octane fuel. 

Archived