Navigation after onstar subscription expires

So i happen to find my window sticker this weekend and noticed that the navigation i have in the truck is part of the ONSTAR subscription. So once thats expired, i wont have Nav anymore?

Is there any mods or hacks to get that back.. not sure why i would want to pay for nav monthly.. It is nice option/feature, but i can go buy a nav unit and never pay again once i own it.. 

Help me understand and what my options are after its gone. 

So you don't have built-in nav, but the turn by turn directions that come through the radio after you tell the OnStar operator where you want to go? That's the OnStar version. If you have normal touchscreen nav it's yours forever. 

I have the 8" touch screen in my truck, 20171219_075905_resized.thumb.jpg.67d52cb2116cbfa394bc3fe543e21f39.jpg but so does my wife in her camaro, but once her subscription ended she no longer has a functional nav on hers. So i wanted to ask since i have the same setup in mine, and noticed on the sticker that the "OnStar" line states "Navigation".

Use your phone with google maps, its way better anyways. Linked by Bluetooth you will get the turn by turn.

Or spend the money and get apple/android play from MVI, which basically mirrors your phone to the screen, then you will have google maps on the screen.

There are options, i wouldn't worry about it :)

• Like 1

Not so much worried about it, but to pay for a truck with certain features that are built in and to loose those features do to not keeping a subscription sucks.. I have the android mirror option on the truck, unless i loose that also, but i can connect my phone to the usb and have it mirror on the display.. 

Every GPS you buy you buy and dont have to pay unless you want to update your maps or want to add maps, but thats it.. its a GPS, not WIFI.. just dont get it.. 

But will look into other options.

I have the free on-star package, one that lets me start the truck and send location to in dash gps. I dont pay anything and i still have my GPS available, if that helps answer it.

Mine is 2014 sierra

So I've been curious about the same issue. Just bought my 2015 used and it appears that my OnStar has expired (or been expired). I have a Nav icon, but mine says "OnStar NAV". When I select it, it displays multiple messages: "No active route", There is currently no active route", and  " Press the OnStar button to set a route". I'm 100% ok with using google maps or Waze mirrored off of my iPhone. I just don't really feel the need to pay for an OnStar subscription, but it would be nice to look at the 8" screen in my dash rather than looking down at the 4.7" screen on my phone when navigating.

Any assistance in mirroring my phone is greatly appreciated!

Yes it will continue to work.  That is the factory NAV which has nothing to do with OnStar.

But you still need to pay $160 for the yearly updates (if you want them) ...

Edited by sk

I have a 2017 and I hate the "on star Nav".  I refuse to pay for it.   I have apple play and Android play (2 phones).  Android allows me ro use Waze for GPS (way better) bit it is slow and has connection issues all the time.   I would love to go back to the Nav I had in my 2015. Does anyone know if it possible?  (within $$$ reason).  I'd sell my 2017 radio and kill (almost) for the 2015 set up again.

• Like 1

Just to be clear, the ONStar Nav that you send the route to the vehicle is not the one im referring to. I mentioned onstar because its listed on my window sticker from the truck. I never setup to use the app with the truck as i did with my other truck in the past, but i recall that and never liked it.  I click the nav icon on the screen and get this window to enter an address.

I posted my question, because my wifes camaro has the same icons and worked the same as mine does now, but she no longer has this pop up when she clicks on the nav icon. So thats what lead me to believe that the nav is linked to Onstar some how, since we let her subscription expire. 

Crop25.thumb.jpg.06d1b0e2ef1f565d547e1410d7e1ea69.jpg

Just to be clear, the ONStar Nav that you send the route to the vehicle is not the one im referring to. I mentioned onstar because its listed on my window sticker from the truck. I never setup to use the app with the truck as i did with my other truck in the past, but i recall that and never liked it.  I click the nav icon on the screen and get this window to enter an address.

I posted my question, because my wifes camaro has the same icons and worked the same as mine does now, but she no longer has this pop up when she clicks on the nav icon. So thats what lead me to believe that the nav is linked to Onstar some how, since we let her subscription expire. 

Crop25.thumb.jpg.06d1b0e2ef1f565d547e1410d7e1ea69.jpg
Check your window sticker and see if you have a charge of $495 I believe and if you do then you have Navigation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk