Navigation after onstar subscription expires

I didn't pay for nav because I find (generally speaking) built in nav to be terrible. Slow, updates are expensive, and you lose it all if you get rid of the vehicle.

I use android auto to sync google maps, which works pretty well but seems that the signal isn't as strong as it relies on data for a lot of the mapping info. I'll probably break down and guy a garmin. Unit is ~$300 with live traffic (sometimes weather) and lifetime map updates. That and you can swap between vehicles which is nice.

Downside is that it's not built in, so not as sleek and you do have to worry about people jacking it.

If you touch the NAV icon and no map appears, your truck does not have the Optional Navigation System.nav_zpshsawced0.png

What system is this that shows building structures and stuff? I have built in NAV system in my 2017 (I’ve only used it a few times to test), but I don’t recall it showing structures like you have here. Mine looks like the nav in post #10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

What system is this that shows building structures and stuff? I have built in NAV system in my 2017 (I’ve only used it a few times to test), but I don’t recall it showing structures like you have here. Mine looks like the nav in post #10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The view in Post #10 is the "2D" view while the one above showing the buildings is the "3D" view.

When you are on the NAV screen press "Menu" in the lower corner and go to your Map View settings.  Pick "3D" and when you are in a developed area near a lot of buildings they will show up like in the post above.

On 12/20/2017 at 3:55 PM, Penguin VII said:

I didn't pay for nav because I find (generally speaking) built in nav to be terrible. Slow, updates are expensive, and you lose it all if you get rid of the vehicle.

I use android auto to sync google maps, which works pretty well but seems that the signal isn't as strong as it relies on data for a lot of the mapping info. I'll probably break down and guy a garmin. Unit is ~$300 with live traffic (sometimes weather) and lifetime map updates. That and you can swap between vehicles which is nice.

Downside is that it's not built in, so not as sleek and you do have to worry about people jacking it.

"lifetime" has a different meaning for Garmin than it does for normal people.

11 hours ago, davester said:

"lifetime" has a different meaning for Garmin than it does for normal people.

From what I've read it's pretty much until the unit doesn't have the memory to store new maps or the supplier of the maps doesn't have anymore updates.

On 12/19/2017 at 9:07 PM, Rukus said:

I have a 2017 and I hate the "on star Nav".  I refuse to pay for it.   I have apple play and Android play (2 phones).  Android allows me ro use Waze for GPS (way better) bit it is slow and has connection issues all the time.   I would love to go back to the Nav I had in my 2015. Does anyone know if it possible?  (within $$$ reason).  I'd sell my 2017 radio and kill (almost) for the 2015 set up again.

I have the 2015 with nav and I have the exact opposite feeling. I would much rather have the Apple play over what I have now 

I have the 2015 with nav and I have the exact opposite feeling. I would much rather have the Apple play over what I have now 

I’m with ya. I have both, but never use the built-in nav. I use CarPlay with apple maps. It’s not so much that I don’t like the built-in nav screen or layout, but the Chevy assistant, or what ever they call the female voice that speaks to you, never understands what I’m saying. Even after repeating it 5 times! I get annoyed with it. Siri gets it right on the first try when I use CarPlay.

• 3 weeks later...

My family uses NAV apps on our phones more than the NAV in our vehicles.  Besides, with XM (I believe), you get road condition updates, BUT with NAV apps on your phone, that's part of the app(s).

• 1 year later...

I have a 2015 with expired OnStar. I don’t want to renew the subscription. I called to find out how to mirror my phone so I could just use google maps and they said it won’t work I wouldn’t be able to mirror.... why?? I am confused.  I have connected to blue tooth for music but that’s all that seems to come up. I have a usb for charging the phone while the blue tooth is connected and playing music but can’t seem to figure CarPlay. What am I doing wrong? 

4 hours ago, Kg2019 said:

I have a 2015 with expired OnStar. I don’t want to renew the subscription. I called to find out how to mirror my phone so I could just use google maps and they said it won’t work I wouldn’t be able to mirror.... why?? I am confused.  I have connected to blue tooth for music but that’s all that seems to come up. I have a usb for charging the phone while the blue tooth is connected and playing music but can’t seem to figure CarPlay. What am I doing wrong? 

Do you know if your vehicle supports Carplay or not?  Given that your vehicle is 5 years old, I would lean towards it not having Carplay support.

5 hours ago, Kg2019 said:

Your truck does not support Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.  GM added it in mid-2016.  The only way you can get it is to switch out the HMI for a newer one.  They are plug-and-play AFTER you have them programmed to your VIN.  There are tons of threads on here about it but if you message th3magpi3 or GTPprix they can help you get the right HMI and do the programming for you.

2 hours ago, sk said:

Your truck does not support Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.  GM added it in mid-2016.  The only way you can get it is to switch out the HMI for a newer one.  They are plug-and-play AFTER you have them programmed to your VIN.  There are tons of threads on here about it but if you message th3magpi3 or GTPprix they can help you get the right HMI and do the programming for you.

Sorry I am unclear how to direct message th3magpi3 ??