Get Ready for Rust

garagerog

Have been watching the Weather Channel's coverage of winter storm Grayson where they showed the city of Bostons preparation for the impending storm, 2 huge mountains of salt, 40,000 tons worth. I live in the low country of SC and it's 24 here now and we're getting snow now, only supposed to get 4 or 5 inches tho.  And yes, they've been salting the bridges here, but being retired I have the luxury of staying home and not exposing my vehicles to the salt and crazy drivers. I feel for you that live in the NE, be safe out there, and if you have to drive your rig, get that car wash with the underbody spray as soon as practical.

2 hours ago, migizi said:

I bought a 2015 this past fall, I was thinking about undercoating, but many suggest it's too late :(

oh, well, I wash it often, and did get a clear bra installed on the front.

It's not to late if you get the right undercoating and go to the right place. Find a place that will clean under the truck first and sells a rust proofing that has an inhibitor in it as well. I use Krown and it has a chemical in it that helps stop rust that's already started. And remember rust is oxidation, and if there no oxygen getting to the bare metal or rust, then it's not going to rust anymore.

28 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

It's a shame really someone hasn't invented an ice melter that isn't corrosive.

They do, there are organic based products using beet juice or corn syrup, but they work best as used as a pre-treatment, sprayed on the roads before a snow or ice event. I'm originally from e. washington state where they used the corn based pre-treatment and sand for the roads, no salt except for a little on the DOT sand piles to keep them from freezing up from residual moisture. The corn based stuff (my late Dad called it squirrel pee) will stain chrome wheels, running boards and such if you don't keep it washed off. I'm sure salt is much cheaper than the organic products, therefore it's wide spread use. Washington state probably uses it because they have the 2nd highest gas tax in the country, thanks to their ferry system, and snow removal in the cascade mountain passes.

I got stuck behind a salt truck this morning on my way to work. Really sucked seeing all that salt go right under my truck. And it's too cold to wash anything off being -4°. It is indeed an aggravating feeling...

21 hours ago, Daly said:

It's not to late if you get the right undercoating and go to the right place. Find a place that will clean under the truck first and sells a rust proofing that has an inhibitor in it as well. I use Krown and it has a chemical in it that helps stop rust that's already started. And remember rust is oxidation, and if there no oxygen getting to the bare metal or rust, then it's not going to rust anymore.

I’m used to it. Born and raised in Massachusetts. I have owned and driven numerous cars and trucks through New England winters. The salt does a number on our vehicles if not washed regularly in the winter months. Undercarriage washes are a must for snow belt vehicles. Keeping the vehicle washed makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. There you go.  Though I wonder why the aggregate lobby of GM, Ford, Fiat, Toyota, Nissan dont cause local governments to find an alternate.

Or does planned obsolescence cause us to buy more trucks?

7 minutes ago, Boardmember said:

Ding Ding Ding... That and after you buy and pay for your vehicle the car companies don't care what happens to them after warranty. 

2 minutes ago, Boardmember said:

Ok. There you go.  Though I wonder why the aggregate lobby of GM, Ford, Fiat, Toyota, Nissan dont cause local governments to find an alternate.

That's why I traded in my 07 LTZ.

I planned on keeping it for a few more years because I had just done some upgrades to it but the paint started bubbling over the rear wheel wells exactly like my 99 had done.

I used a replacement quarter panel piece on the 99 then had to replace the driver's side cab corner which was starting to rust through.

When paint on other parts started popping, I saw the writing on the wall and traded it in on my 07.

I didn't want to go through that again which is why I traded the 07 before it got to "the point of no return" where I'd start chasing the rust from one panel to the next.

I hit the poppers with touch-up paint and traded it in on my 15.

From my experience, it seems like around 8 to 10 years is when the rust starts popping through.

Of course, my 07 also had a problem with the clear coat starting to freckle on the roof and A-pillars which is another reason I got rid of it.

6 hours ago, Boardmember said:

6 hours ago, SIERRA/T said:

That's why I traded in my 07 LTZ.

I had a 2007 Suburban LTZ that I was very fond of - immaculate - ran like a Swiss watch - EVERYTHING worked perfectly, - just got her broken in with 284,xxx miles, but the little rust issues keep creeping up, I would have it fixed and then another area would start, I finally conceded and traded up.

Archived