Ford 6.2 VS GM 6.0

23 hours ago, SMiller said:

You will not see a new engine that does not have all the garbage we all hate. The current gen GM 6.0 and Ford 6.2 is as good/safe as it will ever get.

I'll be taking a very non-biased look at both Ford and GM. I was about to order a 2017 F250 in November 2016 but I went with the GM. The other alternative is to build and order a late 2019 L96 truck if I'm not comfortable with either. I'm so comfortable with the minimal servicing and reliability of the L96 it that it might be what I stick with ultimately but I can't ignore the fact that much more powerful models are on the way. First world problems, I guess. lol 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, magnum74 said:

I'll be taking a very non-biased look at both Ford and GM. I was about to order a 2017 F250 in November 2016 but I went with the GM. The other alternative is to build and order a late 2019 L96 truck if I'm not comfortable with either. I'm so comfortable with the minimal servicing and reliability of the L96 it that it might be what I stick with ultimately but I can't ignore the fact that much more powerful models are on the way. First world problems, I guess. lol 

I am in the same boat, I am going to jump ship and will be ordering a 2019 F-350 in March. I cannot ignore that Ford offers the truck optioned how I want it.

23 minutes ago, SMiller said:

I am in the same boat, I am going to jump ship and will be ordering a 2019 F-350 in March. I cannot ignore that Ford offers the truck optioned how I want it.

I get that. I go between 30K-60K+ miles per year depending on what my work entails at the time so I'm not keeping a field truck for a long time and can switch without penalty when I feel like it. The only thing I don't like about the Ford's is the serviceability. GM's are just simpler but I think both gas powered units are long term reliable. I bought an early Ram 6.4 in late 2013 and it was a dud for the most part. The transmission gearing is counter productive to a gasser and the current 2018's are still handicapped by it. Ford and GM are the two gas HD's I'm looking forward to but I won't buy the Ford until I see what the 2020 GM offers.

1 hour ago, magnum74 said:

I get that. I go between 30K-60K+ miles per year depending on what my work entails at the time so I'm not keeping a field truck for a long time and can switch without penalty when I feel like it. The only thing I don't like about the Ford's is the serviceability. GM's are just simpler but I think both gas powered units are long term reliable. I bought an early Ram 6.4 in late 2013 and it was a dud for the most part. The transmission gearing is counter productive to a gasser and the current 2018's are still handicapped by it. Ford and GM are the two gas HD's I'm looking forward to but I won't buy the Ford until I see what the 2020 GM offers.

Will be interesting to see what GM and Ford have to offer for 2020 as we know we will see a new engine/transmission, question is will is be as dead nuts reliable as the current ones?!?

I am to scared to to the risk, will keep the next truck 20 years so no reason to play the game.

I have a '12 GMC 3500HD with the L96, been a great truck.  Still has low miles.  I have not decided yet if I will get a 2019 with what should be the last of the L96's or wait for what may be coming in 2020.  I figure we will learn a lot about the new engine before it's too late to get a '19.

I would only consider if it is also flex fuel.  I filled my 2015 2500 with E85 Saturday at $1.49 a gallon pump price, $1.39 a gallon with station fuel card.  Even with the lower mpg, still beats the snot out of the other gasoline options on a cost per mile basis.

Went thru this several years ago when gas got over $4 a gallon even in the midwest.  My 2013 1500 5.3 at the time lived on E85 for almost 2 years.  The stuff was $1.50 a gallon less than regular E10.   

I would only consider if it is also flex fuel.  I filled my 2015 2500 with E85 Saturday at $1.49 a gallon pump price, $1.39 a gallon with station fuel card.  Even with the lower mpg, still beats the snot out of the other gasoline options on a cost per mile basis.

Went thru this several years ago when gas got over $4 a gallon even in the midwest.  My 2013 1500 5.3 at the time lived on E85 for almost 2 years.  The stuff was $1.50 a gallon less than regular E10.   
Good point, that reminds me that it's almost warm enough to switch back to e85...

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

On 1/21/2018 at 3:44 PM, SMiller said:

6.2 gasser with the 4.30 rear end?

On 1/22/2018 at 7:45 AM, sdeeter19555 said:

Good point, that reminds me that it's almost warm enough to switch back to e85...

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

I've been using it for months now.  -10 actual air temp in December and I had no problems. 

39 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Good to know, there is a lot of "opinion" on how cold is too cold...

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Even remote start worked fine which cranks the engine for a relatively short period of time.  

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think you can go wrong between the Ford 6.2 and a 6.0 chevy. Both are very reliable and perform pretty much the same. I would say the 6.0 is a bit easier to work on but the Ford isnt difficult either. The Dodge 6.4 while impressive on paper just doesn't translate to a good usable package in the real world like the other two motors do. 

Archived