Chevy Shake has Competition

Saw this the other day when studying the solution to the problem. Looks like GM is not the only ones trying to get out of fixing shaking trucks. However this makes the Shakerados look like 80's Caddies. Maybe switching to Ford is not the answer after all! I am aware it is a SD and probably has some straight axle death wobble, but it is still fun to know we aren't alone. 

A guy at work had the death wobble on his 2017 Super Duty at 15k miles. The dealer tried tires and alignment with no improvement. An updated steering stabilizer seems to have fixed it. They had his truck for 5 or 6 weeks. 

My boyfriend has been experiencing this same issue on his 2015 GMC Sierra and had to take it in to the dealer as well as several certified service shops and still, no answers and no fix!

We're trying to collect information on the issue and started a survey to understand why the dealer hasn't been able to detect this issue and fix it sooner. If you'd like to take part in it, we'd love your feedback on the issue too: http://bit.ly/gmshake

On 1/23/2018 at 3:37 PM, 10SierraA.T. said:

Saw this the other day when studying the solution to the problem. Looks like GM is not the only ones trying to get out of fixing shaking trucks. However this makes the Shakerados look like 80's Caddies. Maybe switching to Ford is not the answer after all! I am aware it is a SD and probably has some straight axle death wobble, but it is still fun to know we aren't alone. 

Nice dealer says Its a truck you know ........operating as designed .......Tech can not pull up any codes or replicate in test drive !!!! Dealer offers him a free wash and sends him ''on his way''. lol

My boyfriend has been experiencing this same issue on his 2015 GMC Sierra and had to take it in to the dealer as well as several certified service shops and still, no answers and no fix!

We're trying to collect information on the issue and started a survey to understand why the dealer hasn't been able to detect this issue and fix it sooner. If you'd like to take part in it, we'd love your feedback on the issue too: http://bit.ly/gmshake

This is common problem that afflicts some GMC and Chevy trucks. The issues are well documented on this and other forums. Some folks have been able to rectify the problem while others haven’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a thought - Seems that video is showing more than an unbalance shake. Had many vehicles with unbalanced tires , fronts usually cause more of an up-down vibration without excessive steering wheel play, rears less and definitely in the 50 - 65 mph range but that back and forth play in the steering wheel seems to indicate something more  - either the driver is driving looking at the front of the hood instead of aiming high on the road ahead for road centralization......or much more likely rear axle bounce and tires are loosing lateral contact with the road. If equipped with the trailering package, there is anti-sway control built into the vehicle software which could be false triggered by intermittent rear wheel operation.

I remember posts around the time I purchased my '16Z71 new and it was equipped with different GM number rear leaf springs than previous models, I believe there were also aluminum vs. steel control arm differences.  Over 12K miles and still running smooth as silk - and I never rotate the tires (not even under the free 2 year maintenance) so long nothing vibrates and they are wearing evenly

OP should load the bed with over 500 lbs of crap over the rear axle and check operation to see if it reduces vibration.  Dealer's max 65 mph claim is B$, but vibrations maybe caused or aggravated by running with an empty bed. Could be the extra wide trailer towing option in the video comes in an OEM package that triggers a spring change that assumes max load causing an axle hop with an empty bed.??? Not making excuses for GM.....it's F'd up either way.....but if loading the bed reduces or eliminates the vibration, a rear spring change may compensate.

On 1/23/2018 at 12:37 PM, 10SierraA.T. said:

I’ve seen several threads on this and the video isnot working. Argh!

Archived