2017 Sierra Denali rear window EXPLODED!!!

1 hour ago, Samk24 said:

What was the issue? this just happened to me in my 2015 2500hd

What happened to your truck?  I saw smoke coming from my defroster so I turned it off real quick. Luckily my window didn’t explode. 

I havent had a chance to visit the dealership but I will next week. 

7 minutes ago, Aaron Ch said:

What happened to your truck?  I saw smoke coming from my defroster so I turned it off real quick. Luckily my window didn’t explode. 

I havent had a chance to visit the dealership but I will next week. 

Remote started my truck, hopped in , noticed a burning smell,  looked back and the rear defrost was smoking , shut the truck off, a few seconds later the rear passenger window shattered!  Quote Edit

2 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Yes the oil filter is the reason the window explodes. These new trucks are complex.

But really I posted in the wrong thread. Sorry please continue on.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lmao! 

Any chance youve heard any inside developments on this issue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samk24 said:

Remote started my truck, hopped in , noticed a burning smell,  looked back and the rear defrost was smoking , shut the truck off, a few seconds later the rear passenger window shattered!  Quote Edit

This may apply, it may not...I just posted yesterday about something I did not notice before. When I start my truck in cold weather the rear defrost automatically comes on, this is a feature that can be turned on or off in the settings. Mine came on with no frost on the window at all, so I am wondering if maybe some people are having theirs automatically turning on when not really needed, not noticing it's on (because they didn't turn it on with the button) and the window is being heated for however long for no reason over and over again. The system must be triggered by temperature and not frost. It shouldn't shatter the glass but it is needlessly heating the window over and over again.

53 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Yes the oil filter is the reason the window explodes. These new trucks are complex.

But really I posted in the wrong thread. Sorry please continue on.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is right up there with my post about putting a quart of antifreeze in your oil to keep your catch can from freezing up :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SS502 said:

This may apply, it may not...I just posted yesterday about something I did not notice before. When I start my truck in cold weather the rear defrost automatically comes on, this is a feature that can be turned on or off in the settings. Mine came on with no frost on the window at all, so I am wondering if maybe some people are having theirs automatically turning on when not really needed, not noticing it's on (because they didn't turn it on with the button) and the window is being heated for however long for no reason over and over again. The system must be triggered by temperature and not frost. It shouldn't shatter the glass but it is needlessly heating the window over and over again.

true, in the settings the rear window defrost can be set to come on automatically, or you can decide what. I have mine disabled. However even though it's disabled the rear window defroster we'll come on when you remote start it. I have now made it a point to turn this off if it's on needed after I get in the truck.

Another point of thought is it's only seems to be an issue wicker sliding rear windows. No issue with full back glass and rear defroster. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SS502 said:

I see where youre coming from ,although it shouldnt matter in any case. I only had the truck running for 60 secs or so , its a huge safety concern especially if there had been a child in the back seat and if someone had flammable seat covers. Severe injury would have been imminent. Ive already contacted Chevy canada about the issue and filed a report. Just seems like these sort of issues should not happen.

4 minutes ago, SS502 said:

It is my understanding that the truck will either trigger the A/C or heater/defrost/etc depending on the outside temp. 

Weird that hat the window shatters. 

7 minutes ago, SS502 said:

1 minute ago, Samk24 said:

I see where youre coming from ,although it shouldnt matter in any case. I only had the truck running for 60 secs or so , its a huge safety concern especially if there had been a child in the back seat and if someone had flammable seat covers. Severe injury would have been imminent. Ive already contacted Chevy canada about the issue and filed a report. Just seems like these sort of issues should not happen.

Yes, I agree...it should not. My point was that repeatedly heat cycling that glass NEEDLESSLY may over time degrade it and make it more vulnerable to failure.

1 minute ago, SS502 said:

Yes, I agree...it should not. My point was that repeatedly heat cycling that glass NEEDLESSLY may over time degrade it and make it more vulnerable to failure.

Youre right about that for sure and maybe buyers need to be informed of this so youre not paying 1400 for a whole new rear window from chevy.

36 minutes ago, rah7777777 said:

I don't even understand why it has a defrost on flat glass.....

But thats probably easy for someone from Texas to say haha

Here in N. Nevada I occasionally get frost on the rear window.  Doesn't happen often, but when it does & I use the remote start it'll defrost the rear window even though I have it turned off in the settings.