2017 Sierra Denali rear window EXPLODED!!!

I would dig into this a little and see if you can find anything burnt and melted in that black box before you take it to a glass shop. 

If you can show them a melted connection they might be a little more willing to help??? Just a shot in the dark. 

I asked them to leave the back seat out so I can look myself. We got snowed in pretty good here so not picking it up until tomorrow. I’ll definitely be taking a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This just happened to me last night on my 2017 Sierra 1500! I remote started my truck when leaving a store and when I got into the truck a minute later I could smell smoke. I thought it was my laptop battery but then I saw the connection to the drivers side window defroster glowing red hot and burning the window trim. I shut the truck off and while I was sitting there I heard what sounded like a gun shot as the window exploded. Obviously a wiring defect. We'll see what the dealer has to say. clearly nothing to do with an impact from anything lol.

20190211_194626.jpg

Edited by Harold Harkonen

11 minutes ago, Harold Harkonen said:

This just happened to me last night on my 2017 Sierra 1500! I remote started my truck when leaving a store and when I got into the truck a minute later I could smell smoke. I thought it was my laptop battery but then I saw the connection to the drivers side window defroster glowing red hot and burning the window trim. I shut the truck off and while I was sitting there I heard what sounded like a gun shot as the window exploded. Obviously a wiring defect. We'll see what the dealer has to say. clearly nothing to do with an impact from anything lol.

20190211_194626.jpg

HELL YES (I'm sorry for your loss)!!! But this is the kind of proof we need.  Mine has only smoked but it wasn't on long enough to shatter the window or melt any trim.  Thank you for sharing this.

1 hour ago, Aaron Ch said:

HELL YES (I'm sorry for your loss)!!! But this is the kind of proof we need.  Mine has only smoked but it wasn't on long enough to shatter the window or melt any trim.  Thank you for sharing this.

No problem, by the time I opened the back door the connection was glowing red hot and the trim was melting and smoking. I just heard from a friend that he knows someone that had it happen just last week as well on their Sierra. I see that GM had a recall on 2015 Cadillac CTS's for this very same issue.... I can't wait to hear the dealer excuses since my warranty just expired 6,000 miles ago..... I assume this will likely become a more widespread problem soon.

19 minutes ago, Harold Harkonen said:

No problem, by the time I opened the back door the connection was glowing red hot and the trim was melting and smoking. I just heard from a friend that he knows someone that had it happen just last week as well on their Sierra. I see that GM had a recall on 2015 Cadillac CTS's for this very same issue.... I can't wait to hear the dealer excuses since my warranty just expired 6,000 miles ago..... I assume this will likely become a more widespread problem soon.

You didn't happen to take a video of it did you?  When I jumped into my truck and started backing up, I noticed the smoke.  It was THE ONLY TIME I didn't have my cell phone on me... Quickly, in my head, I was deciding "should I run and find my phone to record this shit, or should I turn off the defroster in case a wildfire erupts in my cab".... I chose the safe bet... -_-

Just read an article on that recall.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/09/cadillac-ats-recalled-rear-defroster-control-can-overheat.html

What kind of a fix is this?!

"Dealers will update climate control software to remove a function that automatically turns the defroster on. Drivers will still be able to turn on the defroster manually."

Edited by Aaron Ch
Added information about recall

2 minutes ago, Aaron Ch said:

You didn't happen to take a video of it did you?  When I jumped into my truck and started backing up, I noticed the smoke.  It was THE ONLY TIME I didn't have my cell phone on me... Quickly, in my head, I was deciding "should I run and find my phone to record this shit, or should I turn off the defroster in case a wildfire erupts in my cab".... I chose the safe bet... -_-

It was the same for me, at first I thought it was my laptop battery and when I saw how hot the wiring connection on the window was getting I rushed back to shut off the engine before it started a fire.. I could probably put the fuse back in and turn it back on.....

1 minute ago, Harold Harkonen said:

It was the same for me, at first I thought it was my laptop battery and when I saw how hot the wiring connection on the window was getting I rushed back to shut off the engine before it started a fire.. I could probably put the fuse back in and turn it back on.....

haha!!! well... i've tried opening/closing the rear window, restarting it remotely, leaving that defroster on..... nothing.  bunch of bs...

the fact that your trim is melted should be proof enough! looking forward to hearing what your dealer/gm have to say.  Also, you should report it like the previous posters suggested.  That's a serious risk to customers and it should start putting GM on notice.  I am going to submit my complaint as well but I think mine is weak b/c I really don't have proof.

16 minutes ago, Grjfer said:

Report it please. https://www.nhtsa.gov

I submitted my complaint.  Only took about 3 mins.  I urge everyone to do the same.

FYI:

What happens next?

Your complaint will be reviewed by NHTSA technical staff and entered into our database. If any additional information is needed, a NHTSA investigator will contact you.

Every complaint is taken seriously, reviewed in detail and analyzed for defects trends. Your complaint is important because it helps to inform NHTSA, other vehicle owners and manufacturers about potential safety concerns. Such information helps save lives, and we encourage you to share the resources available at www.SaferCar.gov with your family, friends and others in your community.

Edited by Aaron Ch

17 minutes ago, Aaron Ch said:

I submitted my complaint.  Only took about 3 mins.  I urge everyone to do the same.

FYI:

What happens next?

Your complaint will be reviewed by NHTSA technical staff and entered into our database. If any additional information is needed, a NHTSA investigator will contact you.

Every complaint is taken seriously, reviewed in detail and analyzed for defects trends. Your complaint is important because it helps to inform NHTSA, other vehicle owners and manufacturers about potential safety concerns. Such information helps save lives, and we encourage you to share the resources available at www.SaferCar.gov with your family, friends and others in your community.

Awesome! People will go on an open forum and complain, but won't take the time report potential safety risks. I have yet to have issues with mine, but if I ever do you can bet I'll report it just as I did my vacuum pump failure. 

My 08 Silverado had the heated washer fluid. Never knew there was a problem till I got the first recall notice. GM eventually disabled the system, and issued owners a $100 check. I would think an in cab wire connection and window exploding would raise as much or more concern than the heated washer bottle over heating. 

9 minutes ago, Grjfer said:

Awesome! People will go on an open forum and complain, but won't take the time report potential safety risks. I have yet to have issues with mine, but if I ever do you can bet I'll report it just as I did my vacuum pump failure. 

My 08 Silverado had the heated washer fluid. Never knew there was a problem till I got the first recall notice. GM eventually disabled the system, and issued owners a $100 check. I would think an in cab wire connection and window exploding would raise as much or more concern than the heated washer bottle over heating. 

I agree with you..   Especially, if you have a baby in a rear-facing child seat like I do!   -_-  

Thank you for providing that link.  I didn't even know it was an option to report.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aaron Ch said:

FYI:

What happens next?

I am in Canada and I'm not sure if we have a similar site with Transport Canada. I did send a message to GMC on Messenger and they seemed very interested. I haven't had a phone call yet though... I notice my truck was made in Mexico....

Edited by Harold Harkonen