2017 Sierra Denali rear window EXPLODED!!!

1 minute ago, nw96 said:

I agree, the reason I will never use them again. They just kept saying something "impacted" the bottom left corner. 

Probably a moot point now as I am sure that glass is long gone so lesson learned...next time (with any issue) make them show you the "evidence" they are basing their conclusions from.

19 minutes ago, nw96 said:

I looked in to the insurance route, $500 deductible, in the end wasn't worth taking the hit on my insurance record over $700.00

I agree with the other post about glass and rates.  If your state doesn't have 'glass' protection, then it would go under comprehensive.  Comprehensive claims don't count against you.  The only time they may become an issue is if you have a string of them over a short period of time.  I have a lower comprehensive deductible than my collision; the price difference was not very significant.

58 minutes ago, nw96 said:

In the end no help from the dealer. Glass guy said it looked like something burned but the wiring looked fine. It cost me about $1200 ($900 for the window and $300 to my Chevy dealer for "diagnosis labor").  Showed them this and other posts but they didn't seem to care and said they've never seen this. I've bought 3 new Chevy trucks over the years from them. Pretty sure this is the last one. I did file the NHST complaint, not sure it will help. 

Also the dealer left my backseat out to "make things easier for the glass installer" however the glass installer did not need it out so got stuck putting it back in myself. Not a fun by yourself lol. 

Also, thanks for filing the complaint!

So even though it wont let me post the video of the smoke. I took a screenshot of the smoke minutes before it shattered and u can zoom in and u see there is no chip! U can also see a little smoke easily mistaken for a dirty window. I will also post the pic of "point of impact" so u can zoom in to that spot of before pic.  Also the dealer is about 15min away so the drive there could have caused that spot to chip off. The spot is right by that black contact box that was smoking. And glass guys said excessive heat could definitely cause that spot.

Roseville GMC lost our buissness too. Google reviewing individual dealerships is a good way to let people know who the bad ones r because a couple peoples dealer actually helped them!

Also glass is usually an exception to ur deductible. Mine covered it and state farm didnt care that it was caused by the truck i told them what happened too.

Screenshot_20190221-195111_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190221-195059_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190221-195040_Gallery.jpg

53 minutes ago, Lee_lee said:

So even though it wont let me post the video of the smoke. I took a screenshot of the smoke minutes before it shattered and u can zoom in and u see there is no chip! U can also see a little smoke easily mistaken for a dirty window. I will also post the pic of "point of impact" so u can zoom in to that spot of before pic.  Also the dealer is about 15min away so the drive there could have caused that spot to chip off. The spot is right by that black contact box that was smoking. And glass guys said excessive heat could definitely cause that spot.

Roseville GMC lost our buissness too. Google reviewing individual dealerships is a good way to let people know who the bad ones r because a couple peoples dealer actually helped them!

Also glass is usually an exception to ur deductible. Mine covered it and state farm didnt care that it was caused by the truck i told them what happened too.

Screenshot_20190221-195111_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190221-195059_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190221-195040_Gallery.jpg

Oh man!  Please tell me you're going to submit a complaint with https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/?!?!

This is some of the BEST proof we've come across for our issue.  GM has to step up with this problem especially with your proof.

28 minutes ago, Lonnie Burkett said:

Just had this happen to my truck yesterday. So far I have the dealers telling me this never happens. Have made a appointment to get replaced by Safelite. 

Broken Rear window.jpeg

Well, there's a huge thread of people that 'this never happens' to....

I'd have them investigate the defroster before just taking on the bill...

Thanks to this thread I was able to shut my rear defroster off before the window shattered! My son heard a hissing noise and when I looked back saw the smoke just to the drivers side of the power sliding glass, turned off the defrost and it stopped. Since I work at a dealer it is in the shop now, my service department said they've seen a few blown out windows but apparently non of those customers described the same hissing and smoke I experienced. 

Waiting to see what they find, as of now it sounds like it was a short of some kind that keeps blowing the fuse.

3 minutes ago, BPIRKOLA said:

Thanks to this thread I was able to shut my rear defroster off before the window shattered! My son heard a hissing noise and when I looked back saw the smoke just to the drivers side of the power sliding glass, turned off the defrost and it stopped. Since I work at a dealer it is in the shop now, my service department said they've seen a few blown out windows but apparently non of those customers described the same hissing and smoke I experienced. 

Waiting to see what they find, as of now it sounds like it was a short of some kind that keeps blowing the fuse.

Really hope your service department can get to the bottom of it.  I saw smoke coming out of the black box on the sliding window but shut it off in time.  I also smelled a burning smell.  You and I are the only lucky ones to have avoided a shattered window.... so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BPIRKOLA said:

I will pass along what information I can, he is checking grounds right now. I did see a document regarding a water leak in that area, not sure if that has anything to do with it. 

I have a water leak coming in from my OnStar antenna :'( but not sure that is related.  They are going to replace the antenna with a new design.  Apparently, the old design has an opening in the rubber where water can flow in...

I've heard of leaks at the back of the cab if the egress filters fall off.  There are two squares between the bed and cab that allow air to flow out when the cab doors are closed.  If those come off, then water would enter the cab (but that is a couple feet below the rear window)...

Thanks for letting us know.  You should also report it to:  https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Luckily I am just under my 36k warranty, it was some kind of short and where it is requires the rear glass to be replaced. 

This is the bulletin about the water leak, I never noticed a water leak but it is the same area I had the smoke. https://gm.oemdtc.com/8793/water-leak-under-back-glass-from-power-sliding-window-2014-2016-chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra

16 minutes ago, BPIRKOLA said:

Luckily I am just under my 36k warranty, it was some kind of short and where it is requires the rear glass to be replaced. 

This is the bulletin about the water leak, I never noticed a water leak but it is the same area I had the smoke. https://gm.oemdtc.com/8793/water-leak-under-back-glass-from-power-sliding-window-2014-2016-chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra

Ah wow, thanks for sharing that.

37 minutes ago, Aaron Ch said:

I have a water leak coming in from my OnStar antenna :'( but not sure that is related.  They are going to replace the antenna with a new design.  Apparently, the old design has an opening in the rubber where water can flow in...

I've heard of leaks at the back of the cab if the egress filters fall off.

There’s guys with brand new trucks with the “new” design antenna that have/had leaks

Also the third brake light is another area that these trucks can leak multiple threads on here. Guy I work with had his replaced three times and was still leaking. He said f it cause everything was soaked drove it over to the Furd stealership literally next door and traded for a F150.