Lane Keep Assist and Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking worth it?

I wouldn’t agree this has gotten into the weeds.  Well, maybe once or twice, but otherwise I think this was an intelligent interesting debate.  Well done folks.

Here’s another question that may make Grump’s and KARNUT’s point:  would any of you here have any twinge of anxiety if you were getting into a fully autonomous car?  

I sure the hell would.  If I got in it at all.   But that’s the same thing we’re discussing here.   All a matter of degrees.  I want and trust my inputs, even given they’re not close to perfect.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You get over it real fast once you realize how good of job it does.

not to mention, all of today’s system let you take control whenever you want. 

Your pictureing sitting in the back seat with the car driving, it’s not like that. Right now it’s more just like a stress reliever. If you’ve ever been in bumper to bumper traffic you know how stressful it can be constantly breaking and accelerating and watching the car in front of you wondering if it’s going to slam on it’s brakes at any second. It really alleviates a lot of anxiety from dense traffic and it takes all of 15 minutes to realize this machine is damn good at it and it’s going to recognize anything you can throw at it.

imo, in modern cars, anything involving distance between you and the car in front of you, you can pretty much trust the car. They do an excellant job at that. What you can’t trust the car with right now is turning, even the best systems have a little trouble following the lines and the road, especially on sharp turns.

I do have to point out one good feature my sons Denali has. If you drive long distance and your butt gets sore just start weaving. The seat starts vibrating problem solved. They also called it lane departure warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Boardmember said:

Here’s another question that may make Grump’s and KARNUT’s point:  would any of you here have any twinge of anxiety if you were getting into a fully autonomous car?  

At my job we get drove around thousands of miles a year by contact employees that earn 8 bucks an hour and work 12 hour shifts at all times of the day and night. I woundn’t twinge one bit to get in a self driving van as opposed to riding with most of these drivers. Most of the time one of us volunteers to sit shot gun and talk to the driver when they start to nod off. In fact one of these drivers no longer employed years ago crossed the center line on a two lane at hit a group of four motorcycles killing three and sending the fourth to the hospital. 

My point is still the same WE ALL ARE BETTER OFF if at least some of the people on the roads we share have this technology.

I’ve also wondered when I’m sitting on a plane how much time of that flight is the plane on auto pilot? 

I believe commercial van drivers fall under DOT regulations that regulates hours driving. The pay shouldn’t matter. I don’t think an minimum wage driver would any more anxious to die than anyone else.

I wouldn’t agree this has gotten into the weeds.  Well, maybe once or twice, but otherwise I think this was an intelligent interesting debate.  Well done folks.

I sure the hell would.  If I got in it at all.   But that’s the same thing we’re discussing here.   All a matter of degrees.  I want and trust my inputs, even given they’re not close to perfect.

How about a commercial airliner which is using autopilot most of the time? Even controlling landings on some newer models. Pilot is still there ready to takeover just the same as a driver is.

Have the newer trucks made the vibration system more padded? The earlier ones I sat in you could feel them in the seat. Real uncomfortable. Overall I like those systems but I'm suspect somewhat. I remember reading in Car and Driver where they had one car do a full on panic stop for no reason. Thankfully it was an empty road but that really lowered my confidence in the system. Also, on LT/SLE trims, you can't get the brown interior which is the interior I'd want. 

To your point(s), I have become reliant on traction/skid control aids.  Not such that I use them, but would never consider putting my wife or either of my two daughters in a vehicle without them.  

Do these aids aids cause me to drive more recklessly?  No.  Are my kids even aware?  Nah.  But they’re less experienced drivers than I, so I insist.  

One quirk with this current lane keep assist system is that on curves it seems to misjudge where the vehicle actually is during the turn especially if it is a steep turn, or maybe it is just ME and my inconsistent driving habits?  I do think that most people would find that at times they are not nearly as smooth and consistent a driver as they believe themselves to be....... regardless all of that today's tech will probably look pretty silly in a few years as great improvements are made and machines become "self-aware".

2045 is the year predicted when we achieve Singularity and the AI machines take over the world. The real irony is that the AI's will utilize a very uniquely named program to do us in.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain****      

Hi all,

After picking up my 2018 Sierra SLT Premium Plus....

The Bose system is well worth it. After rocking it for over 18 hours it definitely sounds great for a stock stereo system.

Lane keep assist. This does prevent you from going off the road but seems to wait until last minute then nudge you over, then wait till you almost cross line then nudge back. You end up performing long S weaves. I think the system could do better but maybe GM dummed it down? You would think it could keep you in the lane smoothly with-out over compensating and causing the weaving.

Lane keep assist is not Super Cruise ;-)

Archived