Lane Keep Assist and Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking worth it?

1 hour ago, Bushleaguechew said:

Humans aren’t perfect. There’s a difference between depending on these systems and having it help out the one time your attention shifts elsewhere for a split second. I agree these shouldn’t be needed as we should all be focusing on driving, but to say they should be illegal is a stretch.

I personally love the system. Helps out massively on curving narrow highway lanes that are present running through cities.

A 5,000 truck traveling 55 mph has an energy force of 505,620 foot pounds force. A 50 caliber bullet of 700 grains @ 3,000 fps has an energy force of @ 14,000 foot pounds force. The truck has 36 X the knock down of the Browning 50. Are you telling me that if we have a gadget on a Browning 50, like a safety maybe, that your totally good with someone pointing it at you while drinking or texting or 'shifting their attention for a split second'?  Not much of a stretch at all, IMO. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The front/rear alert and braking has 3 levels of annoy. I find on minimum it does not come on often so doesn't annoy me. And using it I can pull in a parking spot and get  within 6" from the car in front of me without tapping it like i did in my Furd. The lane assist also does not bother me ....if you use turn signals like you're supposed to it cancels its corrections and the turn signal stem you just tap and it auto blinks 3 times. Also the lane assist does not self drive so it is not for drunks to avoid DUI. If you let go of the steering wheel it will drifyt all the way to the line then quietly bump the steering the other way to move you back into the lane. It will do this 3 times before it starts flashhing and yelling at you to grab the wheel.

If you let your wife or kid drive the truck I think these things would make them safer by demanding their attention.

A 5,000 truck traveling 55 mph has an energy force of 505,620 foot pounds force. A 50 caliber bullet of 700 grains @ 3,000 fps has an energy force of @ 14,000 foot pounds force. The truck has 36 X the knock down of the Browning 50. Are you telling me that if we have a gadget on a Browning 50, like a safety maybe, that your totally good with someone pointing it at you while drinking or texting or 'shifting their attention for a split second'?  Not much of a stretch at all, IMO. 

Let’s keep guns out of this debate we’re talking about trucks. I fail to believe you’ve never taken a drink of water, eaten a French fry, looked over at a pretty woman walking down the street, or any other number of actions that distract. Even turning your head to check your blind spot takes your attention away from the road in front. Why not have a system that is looking out for you at that moment? And in no way does lane keep hide a drunk driver. The truck will overlap the lane before correcting. Anyone following will still see a vehicle swerving, just not swerving off the road into a ditch.

Again, choosing not to buy that option is one thing, but to make it illegal? Let me know how that perfect world works for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Pearl2017 said:

The front/rear alert and braking has 3 levels of annoy. I find on minimum it does not come on often so doesn't annoy me. And using it I can pull in a parking spot and get  within 6" from the car in front of me without tapping it like i did in my Furd. The lane assist also does not bother me ....if you use turn signals like you're supposed to it cancels its corrections and the turn signal stem you just tap and it auto blinks 3 times. Also the lane assist does not self drive so it is not for drunks to avoid DUI. If you let go of the steering wheel it will drifyt all the way to the line then quietly bump the steering the other way to move you back into the lane. It will do this 3 times before it starts flashhing and yelling at you to grab the wheel.

If you let your wife or kid drive the truck I think these things would make them safer by demanding their attention.

I have no issues with lane departure warning systems. Wife's Buick has it and as noted if you drive as you aught it never lets out a peep. I like backup cameras. Wife's Terrain has one with augmentation I love in parking situations. Wife's Buick also has passive distance sonar with a selectable distance that assist safe distance driving. All good features. Reminders and assistance is fine. More than one Captain of the ship isn't no matter how subtle. Keep the computers away from automatic braking and steering. FBW throttles, brakes and steering as well. 

2 minutes ago, Bushleaguechew said:

Let’s keep guns out of this debate we’re talking about trucks. I fail to believe you’ve never taken a drink of water, eaten a French fry, looked over at a pretty woman walking down the street, or any other number of actions that distract. Even turning your head to check your blind spot takes your attention away from the road in front. Why not have a system that is looking out for you at that moment? And in no way does lane keep hide a drunk driver. The truck will overlap the lane before correcting. Anyone following will still see a vehicle swerving, just not swerving off the road into a ditch.

Again, choosing not to buy that option is one thing, but to make it illegal? Let me know how that perfect world works for ya.

No sir we are not talking about guns, we are talking  about a devise many times more deadly that any gun and one that people already are desensitized too. To the degree of believing they are not. Many seem to suffer this delusion badly enough that it has superseded logic, education and innate love of life.   It (gun physics) are in fact a most fitting example. They use the exact same equations and are subject to the exact same physical laws.  Something most people have a healthy respect for. At least when it's pointed at them. If fact so much so that  it can be a pretty violent reaction to point one at someone even if the clip is out and bolt removed. We even have a saying for it, "Empty guns kill more people than loaded ones". Why is that? False sense of security. 

You tell someone that increasing your speed by 50% doubles the impact energy and it bounces off them like rain drops. 82.5 mph has twice the deadly force of 55 mph. Thought doesn't even register. That is the very definition of desensitized. You give someone low speed automatic braking and all the sudden texting while driving in a school zone is A Okay. 

You can't force a safer situation with devices or even laws for that matter. Safety is a framed mental state. One that has to remain free of the desensitizing influences of faux safety devices and illogical rhetoric.

Of course I've looked away. Driving is an inherently  dangerous task due to human imperfection. We don't need machines to give us permission to be more so.

Making this personal is ill advised. It adds nothing useful to the exchange that common sense and cool heads can't accomplish.  

I have both on my Denali. The lane assist feature is permanently turned off. I sometimes need to switch lanes quickly and I can't stand having to fight the steering wheel to do it. Now if I was on a long drive at night or something, I could def see it being helpful. It is nice to know it is there and it does work quite well.

Regarding the low speed breaking, I have had one or two occasions where it actually helped me. I had a dumb ass lady (won't say what ethnicity) but she couldn't drive for shit. She slammed on her brakes for no apparent reason to get over into another lane (WTF right?). Well I was going to start slamming on mine and the truck beat me to it. So I would say it is def worth it.  

No sir we are not talking about guns, we are talking  about a devise many times more deadly that any gun and one that people already are desensitized too. To the degree of believing they are not. Many seem to suffer this delusion badly enough that it has superseded logic, education and innate love of life.   It (gun physics) are in fact a most fitting example. They use the exact same equations and are subject to the exact same physical laws.  Something most people have a healthy respect for. At least when it's pointed at them. If fact so much so that  it can be a pretty violent reaction to point one at someone even if the clip is out and bolt removed. We even have a saying for it, "Empty guns kill more people than loaded ones". Why is that? False sense of security. 

You tell someone that increasing your speed by 50% doubles the impact energy and it bounces off them like rain drops. 82.5 mph has twice the deadly force of 55 mph. Thought doesn't even register. That is the very definition of desensitized. You give someone low speed automatic braking and all the sudden texting while driving in a school zone is A Okay. 

You can't force a safer situation with devices or even laws for that matter. Safety is a framed mental state. One that has to remain free of the desensitizing influences of faux safety devices and illogical rhetoric.

Of course I've looked away. Driving is an inherently  dangerous task due to human imperfection. We don't need machines to give us permission to be more so.

Making this personal is ill advised. It adds nothing useful to the exchange that common sense and cool heads can't accomplish.  

Your assuming everyone who has the feature will use it to drive more distracted. I’m throwing the idea out that it can help the attentive be even more so. I agree with you on the societal problem with distracted driving. I know the immense forces involved, I’ve experienced a collision before. But that’s not what I’m trying to argue here.

16 hours ago, 2009GMC said:

I am configuring a truck and prefer the heated leather split bench 40/20/40 vs the buckets. Although the vented (fan) seats would be nice.

Price difference between heated split bench and forgoing the lane keep assist and low speed forward braking is $2880

I am adding the front and rear park assist along with heated steering wheel on the SLT split bench.

Lane keep assist and low speed forward automatic braking are new for 17 or 18? These systems actually intervene (minor) vs the earlier lane departure warning and collision warning.

Anyone who has these features please comment if they are worth 3k.

I was in the same situation as you... I have always had bench seat trucks, and had planned on getting one with the split bench seat when I was looking a few months ago.. I struggled with the decision until I went to my local dealer and actually sat in one with the buckets and one with the split bench...I have the split bench in my 2011 and love it, lots of room in the center storage compartment, plus the under seat compartment and the ability to sit 3 across ( not that it happens that much)... So I went to the dealer to check out a 2018 and sat in the split bench, the thing that turned me off immediately from it was that they shrunk down the size of the center fold down. There is about half the storage space of my 2011 in the top part of the "console"...

As far as the other options... I wasn't keen on the "enhanced driver alert package" either as I generally would rather pay attention to my surroundings and feel that its just one more thing to go wrong...

I got my 2018 at Laura GMC last month , and I have all these features now as the truck came with the "SLT Premium Plus" package, which was the only way I was getting what I really wanted...a sliding rear window and the NHT tow package... After driving with these new safety features, all I can say is that they are a nice feature "just in case" and may save a few bucks on insurance but the good thing is that they are able to be turned off. I still don't like letting my vehicle do the driving, but I can see it being beneficial when I have to look at my kids for something quick and possibly drift lanes ....I got such a good deal at Laura's that I don't mind that I have it, but I don't think I would go out of my way to option it on a factory order truck...The rest of the features of the premium plus package are pretty nice... Really like the LED headlights and spray in bed liner, as well as the heated steering wheel ...Not sure on the vented seats yet as its still cold here in the NE.

2 hours ago, ajensen383 said:

I was in the same situation as you... I have always had bench seat trucks, and had planned on getting one with the split bench seat when I was looking a few months ago.. I struggled with the decision until I went to my local dealer and actually sat in one with the buckets and one with the split bench...I have the split bench in my 2011 and love it, lots of room in the center storage compartment, plus the under seat compartment and the ability to sit 3 across ( not that it happens that much)... So I went to the dealer to check out a 2018 and sat in the split bench, the thing that turned me off immediately from it was that they shrunk down the size of the center fold down. There is about half the storage space of my 2011 in the top part of the "console"...

As far as the other options... I wasn't keen on the "enhanced driver alert package" either as I generally would rather pay attention to my surroundings and feel that its just one more thing to go wrong...

I got my 2018 at Laura GMC last month , and I have all these features now as the truck came with the "SLT Premium Plus" package, which was the only way I was getting what I really wanted...a sliding rear window and the NHT tow package... After driving with these new safety features, all I can say is that they are a nice feature "just in case" and may save a few bucks on insurance but the good thing is that they are able to be turned off. I still don't like letting my vehicle do the driving, but I can see it being beneficial when I have to look at my kids for something quick and possibly drift lanes ....I got such a good deal at Laura's that I don't mind that I have it, but I don't think I would go out of my way to option it on a factory order truck...The rest of the features of the premium plus package are pretty nice... Really like the LED headlights and spray in bed liner, as well as the heated steering wheel ...Not sure on the vented seats yet as its still cold here in the NE.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I really liked the "fit 6 in a pinch" bench seat and it has 10 way power for driver and passenger along with leather and heat. Another plus of the bench is I think the front is more roomy without the huge center console connecting the dash to the seat. Although you do gain a $hitload of storage with the console!

You are right on the much smaller center seat / flip console storage. I thought something felt off vs the GMT900 generation...

Anything else you miss on your GMT900? 

Looks like current discounts are 10 or 12k off. I do not have a trade so may not qualify for all rebates.

I thought about waiting for a 19 but I bet incentives won't be much and I'm getting sick of waiting LOL. Plus if I really want a T1XX new generation I can always trade up during a mid cycle refresh. 

Ive test drove a 17 Duramax L5P. It was very nice and very expensive. I almost pulled the trigger on a 6k miles 17 L5P Denali for 57K on eBay but its 18 hours away and it would be more like 59k after travel and fuel. I really don't need a truck that heavy duty to pull my 16' enclosed trailer with my RZR. 

Lots of naysayers on those two features here for sure. I have both Lane Keep Assist and Collision Warning (2017 SLT Premium Plus). I have no accidents (been driving for 45 years) and one week after getting my truck, the collision alert saved my a**. The alert got my attention before it intervened with braking but I would have rear ended that guy otherwise. I actually like both features; Lane Keep Assist can be annoying but easily turned off or on. On windy days going down the highway it's great. Collision Alert won't ever come on unless you're gaining too fast on a slower car ahead of you but if you're already on the brake, it won't activate. The LED headlights are a must. Best headlights I've ever had over newer Corvettes and even an SL550 Mercedes with active headlights....way better. Would I pay almost 3K for it? Since that first week I had the truck with that one event, I'd say yes LOL! Otherwise, not sure.

38 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

Thanks for the detailed reply! I really liked the "fit 6 in a pinch" bench seat and it has 10 way power for driver and passenger along with leather and heat. Another plus of the bench is I think the front is more roomy without the huge center console connecting the dash to the seat. Although you do gain a $hitload of storage with the console!

You are right on the much smaller center seat / flip console storage. I thought something felt off vs the GMT900 generation...

Anything else you miss on your GMT900? 

Looks like current discounts are 10 or 12k off. I do not have a trade so may not qualify for all rebates.

I thought about waiting for a 19 but I bet incentives won't be much and I'm getting sick of waiting LOL. Plus if I really want a T1XX new generation I can always trade up during a mid cycle refresh. 

Ive test drove a 17 Duramax L5P. It was very nice and very expensive. I almost pulled the trigger on a 6k miles 17 L5P Denali for 57K on eBay but its 18 hours away and it would be more like 59k after travel and fuel. I really don't need a truck that heavy duty to pull my 16' enclosed trailer with my RZR. 

You sound just like me!... That was my reasoning as well, fit 6 if I had to and I like roominess of the bench without the console to put packages or whatever on the hump. I thought I would be losing so much more convenience going to the buckets.... But after sitting in both and now owning one with buckets, I actually do prefer the buckets due to the small bench console and the way the front part of the full console is, my phone sits there nicely and can charge easily with the USB ports plus there is a ton of room in the front part of the console as well... In the K2XX generation buckets win... GMT-900 Split bench all the way...I didn't like the way the gmt-900 full console was laid out, I found the split bench much more convenient.

Well, as I still own my 2011 (for now) and a 2018 I can give a pretty objective comparison.. I factory ordered my 2011 so I was able to get exactly what I wanted, so I pretty much love the truck, and had no intention of getting rid of it for about 5-7 more years..It was a HUGE decision to make.. I wanted to see what the new T1XX was going to look like first and what features they were going to have or didn't have before I made my decision as the T1 would be what I would be getting in 5 years anyway...Needless to say I didn't care for the 2019 Silverado looks, and the deletion of a CD player ( I know I know, but I still have a ton of CDs that I use) ..With all the new technology that is going to be added to these trucks, I cant see the sticker price staying the same either... It just so happened that I got a $1500 gm card bump and the pricing at Lauras was just too much to pass up as I got a 61k truck for 42k...

There are things about the 2018 I like better... Rides better, ALOT less road noise inside, crew cab is ALOT bigger in the rear ( kids have a lot more room back there) ..Infotainment system is really good compared to the 900....The whole interior is much nicer than the 900 is.

There are 2 things that I will really miss...One being the size, I feel that the K2 'feels" bigger to drive than the 900 does.....

The other, is the simplicity of it...I like the simplicity of the 900, it feels like im driving a truck, the way the dash is laid out is still a throwback to gmt-400, and there are a lot less technology gadgets to not work later on...

If you are considering buying a GMC look at Lauras, you wont find anything cheaper, it was definitely worth the 900 mile trip to get there..

4 hours ago, Bushleaguechew said:

Your assuming everyone who has the feature will use it to drive more distracted. I’m throwing the idea out that it can help the attentive be even more so. I agree with you on the societal problem with distracted driving. I know the immense forces involved, I’ve experienced a collision before. But that’s not what I’m trying to argue here.

Then I'll make this easier for you; I'll concede the legal argument.  I did admit you can't legislate common sense or safety

Old man is leading a horse with a boy on its back.

On lookers say, Lazy boy making that old man walk.

Boy is leading the horse with the old man riding.

On lookers say, Mean old man making that boy walk.

Both are on the horse.

On lookers say, “Why they being so mean to that old horse”.

Both are walking ahead of the horse.

On lookers say, “Why are they walking when they have a perfectly sound horse?

It’s the nature of argument and advise. Do what you want to. 

5 hours ago, Bushleaguechew said:

I agree with you 100%...The Grumpy Guy quoted my earlier post saying I was following too close (which he has since deleted that post):

"Then your follow distance was a bit short? (Question not a statement) A very basic driving skill and one few give enough of. Why? "Because if I give enough space then someone else will take it'!  Wrong answer, right? "

Hello.... that was my point! I was following too close and it saved me from rear ending the guy. I think now I know where he got his name.

lane keep assist is worth it

there are only 3 radar based convenience/safety features that are worth anything for a man behind the wheel

rated on a 1-10 scale for how useful they are/can be

blind spot monitoring - 2

automatic collision braking - 4 (for the one time it saves your ass)

adaptive cruise control - 10 (one of the best new tech features of the last 15 years, and GM vehicles actually have a great system)

lane keep assist is worthless, and it gets negative points because it can actually be a bad thing

I would not pay $1k for any of these features except ACC, I would pay $2-$3k just for that.

Archived