Fuel pump replacement after 36000 miles??

I have a 2016 silverado. Here the last couple weeks truck has been losing power while cruising. Feels like when you hit the governor and the engine "dies" then comes back when the speed is lowered. Only has happened 3 or 4 times. Took it the dealership and they replaced a negative battery cable. At this point the truck still had a warranty. Problem persisted so it's back at the dealership. Now they're saying it's the fuel pump and the truck is out of warranty. Seems a little fishy to me. Only put good gas (Shell) and fill up at quarter tank.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Well, the supplier of these pumps for GM makes hundreds per day, maybe more. Bound to be some that aren’t made as well. Sucks that it’s happened out of you bumper to bumper. You don’t have an extended warranty maybe? You could see if the dealer can try to get it covered through the GM empowerment tool. You’d have to contribute to the repair still, but it’s normally a small amount compared to the total repair cost. If this is your first time at that dealer they may not be willing to do it, it’s normally reserved for customers who either buy a lot of vehicles from the dealer or spend a decent amount in maintenance. If your the one who only gets the warranty oil changes done and goes somewhere else for service after you’ve used them all, then don’t be surprised if they don’t offer the assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drivetrain warranty should be 5year/60k bumper 2 bumper 3/36

I’d sure hope a fuel pump is considered part of the drivetrain? 

If they said it’s the mechanical pump on the motor check your oil level. There’s been several threads on here about fuel getting into the oil. Level should be over full and smell heavily of gas.

If your just out of your bumper 2 bumper and it’s not covered reach out to GM some people have been able to get GM to cover at least part of the cost of repair. Better than nothing.  Especially if the - cable was supposed to fix this problem but did not since that was done inside the warranty period. In other words if it been fixed right the first time it would have been covered.

If you don’t believe your dealerships diagnosis of this problem I’d talk to another GM dealer in your area explain the situation to get a second opinion. 

1 hour ago, Whitey Tighty 16Z71 said:

I have a 2016 silverado. Here the last couple weeks truck has been losing power while cruising. Feels like when you hit the governor and the engine "dies" then comes back when the speed is lowered. Only has happened 3 or 4 times. Took it the dealership and they replaced a negative battery cable. At this point the truck still had a warranty. Problem persisted so it's back at the dealership. Now they're saying it's the fuel pump and the truck is out of warranty. Seems a little fishy to me. Only put good gas (Shell) and fill up at quarter tank.

Thoughts?

Sounds mighty fishy to me also.  You have a papertrail that the problem existed before the warranty ran out, and they did not do the proper repair.  Whether or not you bought the truck there or paid them for oil changes has nothing to do with it.  At the very least they could fix it out of "goodwill" for you.  If they don't, tell them you're filing a claim with the Better Business Bureau, and if they still don't fix it, go to another dealer.  Seems like GM in general (no pun intended) and some dealers in particular are really trying to ignore the problems until we are off of warranty, and then all of the sudden they recognize the problem and will be glad to fix it for $$$.  The last time they pulled that sh1t, they went bankrupt.  

You guys hit all the points I told the service manager. I said I brought the truck in for this problem while the truck was under warranty and you replaced a battery cable. Really???
I believed you the problem was fixed but it wasn't. Now your saying its something else. He even said a code for the fuel pump came up, something with the voltage, but it was working properly. Now that its out of warranty, it's not working properly and you're demanding hundreds of dollars you fix. I don't buy it.

The “goodwill” term has changed to “GM Empowerment now. Just go ask them about that and demand you want it fixed. All dealers are independently owned and the only real affiliation they have with GM is to adhere to policy and procedures. But I’d want to talk to general manager of the dealership, go past the service manager, things seem to get done then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just talked to my wife about it. She took her brand new camaro there for a brake issue and they did the same shit to her. She brought it in for noisy brakes at 5500 miles, they "fixed" the issue. Then when the noise came back, the brakes were out of warranty. She brought it back and demanded they fix it and that she wasn't paying for it. They complied and fixed it right and the problem hasn't been back since.

Sounds like I'm calling the news if they don't fix it.

On 3/30/2018 at 2:55 PM, Whitey Tighty 16Z71 said:

Just talked to my wife about it. She took her brand new camaro there for a brake issue and they did the same shit to her. She brought it in for noisy brakes at 5500 miles, they "fixed" the issue. Then when the noise came back, the brakes were out of warranty. She brought it back and demanded they fix it and that she wasn't paying for it. They complied and fixed it right and the problem hasn't been back since.

Sounds like I'm calling the news if they don't fix it.

Why would the news care? 

The old fuel pump design before Direct Injection.....would be sitting in your fuel tank continuously pumping fuel to the motor where a fuel pressure relief vavle returned fuel to the tank....continuous circle that also cooled the fuel pump.

New design...no fuel return to tank....pump sits there and gets throttled by computer to maintain fuel pressure to Direct Injection pump.

Problem arises....if you are the kinda person who keeps their fuel tank on fumes....insufficient fluid around fuel pump to keep it cool. Kills em quick.

Local garage a friend runs...when these things go he always asks the customer...”always run your fuel tank on fumes dont you?”......always been a yes.

Archived