2019 vs 2015-2018 8 speed

I saw in the GM newsroom that the 8 speed and 10 speed automatics both received updates to improve shift quality. I wonder if it is physical or software. As far as the 8 speed goes I wonder if anything will apply to 2015-2018 8 speeds. My 2017 has 16000 miles on it and finally shifts normally about 90% of the time. Still feel a bump downshifting into 1st occasionally and occasionally a rough shift from 1st to 2nd if I let off the gas before it shifts. I figured out how to keep the upshift from happening but haven't figured out the downshift. I'm convinced it will do it forever but then again it's never not done what it's supposed to do and I've never had the vibration issues. Anyways a backwards compatible software update other than "relearn" would pretty outstanding. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hoping that GM made some refinements for the 8-speed. While I haven't been in an 8-speed truck that exhibited the behaviors many people complain about,  have read about them and it makes me a tiny bit apprehensive about the 8-speed. The gear ratios in the transmission are great and would be a huge changed for me but I don't want to deal with TCC shudder and odd shifting behaviors.

• 2 weeks later...

While researching a 2019 half-ton pickup truck for purchase, which transmission has a more robust design: Ram’s new 8-speed or Ford’s and GM’s joint design of the 10-speed automatic? This is a very interesting question that comes to us from Jason V.

2 minutes ago, S Smith said:

While researching a 2019 half-ton pickup truck for purchase, which transmission has a more robust design: Ram’s new 8-speed or Ford’s and GM’s joint design of the 10-speed automatic? This is a very interesting question that comes to us from Jason V.

I would say the 10sp since it will be bolted up to the 6.2 and 3.0 diesel.

Also I believe they "GM" have installed that German Centrifugal Do-Dad in all the 8speeds.  So after driving mine now if GM can "Dial" in the 8speeds I am perfectly content with 8 and to be honest the whole 10 speed thing seems like more trouble than what it's worth? 

I’m no expert but it seems that if you can stay in the max TQ range adding more gears in that range could be a waste. I recently read a test in car and driver can’t remember the car mustang I believe. The ten speed slowed down the car slightly did raise the gas mileage a-bit. Makes sense if you’re interrupting engine pull for a shift.

Oops it was the 2018 Yukon Denali not the Mustang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have an 18 6.2 and 8 speed.  I don't want to jinx it but it shifts awesome. Great upshifts at most any speed and goes to seemingly correct gear quickly on light acceleration.   I often wonder if the updated tcm on 17 and newer allows for better/complex programming and in turn better drivability.  Why is the 8 speed in the new ZR1 and not the 10 speed?