2015 LTZ purchase

Hey all. The time has come. I am retiring my 2005 Silverado. I tend to keep trucks a very long time as you can tell. Usually 10 years. I'm looking at a 2015 Double Cab LTZ in Deep Ruby Metallic with a Cocoa/Dune interior. It has 30k on it. Anything in particular I should be on the look out for when looking at it?

16255361033x640.jpg

Test drive it on the interstate and get it up to speed.  Make sure it doesn't shake.  Get a CPO warranty if you can.  Otherwise, if it has the right option combo for you, go for it.

• Like 2

2015 was a good year. :cool:

Mike has the best advice. test drive at the max speed you will ever drive. If you don't feel excessive vibrations, enjoy your new ride!

• Like 1

Obviously you might want to take a quick look underneath, on some of these trucks the wax comes off and the frames rust up pretty good. Saw a 2014 with a frame that looked like it had been parked in the ocean for ten years, couldn't believe my eyes. 

I have a 15.  33000 great miles.  Like others said, drive it up to 75 mph and make sure it doesn't vibrate.  Mine doesn't, most don't, but just be sure.  Nice looking truck.

So.......... I was just looking and now the same dealer has a 2015 LTZ Z71 in Tungsten Metallic too. It looks like besides the Z71 pkg. this one also has a full floor console, heated steering wheel, park assist, lane departure and cooled as well as heated seats and 34k on it. Why so many choices now. I'm gonna spend hours driving trucks on Friday.

Decisions, decisions.  Can't go wrong with either truck.   As others have stated check for the "shake" at speed. Insist on the dealer giving you a complete service history on the trucks you are considering to insure you aren't buying someone else's problems.  Have them include a new set of tires and throw in a bumper to bumper extended warranty as well.  Imagine either truck is priced around 30 to 33 or so if 4wds.

Good luck and caveat emptor. 

First thing I’d consider if I was you is the price difference between any used one and a new one since you don’t seem to concerned about a certain color/cab configuration. There is and will be deep discounts on 18s as the 19s start showing up on lots especially on dbl cabs. If your not dead set on the Silverado check out Laura GMC 7-14K+ off most Sierras with leather, prices listed online is what you really pay no bait switch BS like some others. I realize your in CT but compared to what you’d pay locally it’s worth the trip for most of us. 

Definitely drive a Z71 and a non Z71 Zs come with Ranchos some owners don’t like the stiffer ride of the Ranchos besides the Zs slow speed hill decent control difference in packages is minimal and mostly cosmetic.

Things you may notice on test drive  14+ trucks

Transmissions shift differently than previous models both 6 & 8 speeds

Have to get your foot into it compared to previous models first 1/4 of gas pedal is worthless 

High Pressure Fuel Pump under intake ticks/clicks (sounds like a old diesel injection pump)

On hiway engine goes from running on 8 to running on 4 cylinders V4 mode

Hill assist when starting from a stop on a hill and going down steep grades

Things to check. IMO

As mentioned above 

Shake I’d take it on the interstate and run it at 5 mph intervals at 2 minutes from 50-80

Since your in the NE rusty frame also look for signs of prior lift kit and proper spare tire

Other stuff/common failures 

Seat heaters if equipped both seats 

AC if works and look to see if condenser has been replaced 

stand in front of truck after test drive smell for Antifreeze check if radiator has been replaced

check and dbl check ALL door/body/tailgate gaps

check rockers/door bottoms for paint/texture peel

check headliner for water damage XM antenna/third brake light/ sunroof areas

check that there is no open recalls some 14-15s had one for seatbelts and steering SAFETY FIRST

Rear sliding window works/been replaced (they spontaneously combust sometimes)

OIL level on dipstick and smell it for strong gas smell some burn oil some excessive gas in oil

check if battery has been replaced if not expect to replace sooner than later

check it goes into V4 mode it shows on the MPG page as you drive 

Listen for air leaks from around the door mirrors 

Listen for dash/seats/interior rattles and clucks in driveline

shift it into 4wd and back to 2wd

CarFax but remember not all body work gets reported and sometimes info is just wrong

If truck has aftermarket parts some dealers are quick to try to deny warranty claims some don’t seem to care so much.

Nice looking RCSB by the way, hope if your not keeping it your selling it out right and not trading it.

• Like 1

So.......... I was just looking and now the same dealer has a 2015 LTZ Z71 in Tungsten Metallic too. It looks like besides the Z71 pkg. this one also has a full floor console, heated steering wheel, park assist, lane departure and cooled as well as heated seats and 34k on it. Why so many choices now. I'm gonna spend hours driving trucks on Friday.

Honestly if your into doing upgrades and what not I would get the better one sounds like it’s a LTZ w 1LZ some of the features it has would be harder to add down the road not impossible but not just a plug/play deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI - 2016 and up have a lot of tech upgrades. Android auto / Apple CarPlay. Much better headlights (Sierra). Active lane keep ASSIST vs just warning. Auto low speed brakeing vs warning. Wireless charging, etc. 

Dont get me wrong, the 2014 and 2015’s are nice trucks but with all the incentives on new give them a good look. 

Check service history to see if AC lines / condenser has been replaced. This was a common failure point on 14, 15, 16? Models. 

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I do have a particular set of wants in the truck I buy. It has to be a Double Cab, Silverado or Sierra are okay, I have no use for a 5.5ft bed, It has to be a 4x4 and equipped with a 5.3L, G80 and back up cam. Heated seats and mirrors, fog lights, are very high on the list. Step Bars would be a plus. The wife has a hard time getting in and out with her hip problem and no step bars on my '05. But those can be added later. Colors I prefer Red, but Tungsten, Brownstone and Deep Sea Blue are not out of the question,.I am not a fan of Silver and White. I would prefer IO6 but IO5 will do, after all I am a mobile electronics installer and have a brand new Pioneer AVH-4200NEX I can put in with Maestro. Ride quality on the Z71 is a non issue for me, seeing as my '05 has Z85 suspension and rides pretty hard. No we talk about the '16's and how I hate the chrome front end. It would have to have a painted front end with out question for me to get into a '16+. We just spent $22K on a kitchen and porch reno and windows, siding and a deck are coming in another month. My target is $30000 with 30K so I know I will have to make some sacrifices but as every does I wanna get the most truck out of the box for the money. Yeah I know I am very picky about certain things and not others I am weird. I would also prefer 18"+ wheels, but if I find the right truck with 17's I can have them swap my 285/70R17 Terra Grapplers on to it, they are only a year and half old.

Edited by Sinkhole

Well turns out that LTZ was really nice, EXCEPT, the tail gate was damaged. So the hunt continues. Found a really nice 2015 LT Z71 with 30k on it for $26k. Really clean and well maintained, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the Slate Grey Metallic.  I can always add the Step Bars and Tonneau Cover. The same dealer has a 2015 LT coming in with SEW wheels, Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, Bed Rail Lights, 4" Step Bars and Sliding Rear Window in Deep Ocean Blue Metallic. that one is $27K with 35K on it. Both have Heated Seats, Mirrors and Defroster but the Slate Grey one has the Z71 pkg. I can always add the Step bars and Tonneau. Sorry no picks of the Blue one avail. yet.

17133470994x640.jpg

cu-2.jpg

Edited by Sinkhole
  • Like 1