Water leak - sick to my stomach...

I have a 2014 Sierra SLT with the defroster rear window.

For the last month I've been taking on water after driving in water/rain. I thought maybe it was a door seal, gasket, something simple but i couldn't figure out where the leak is coming from.

I took the truck to the dealer today and they couldn't find it either until they stripped out the interior and ran it through the carwash...

They say the water is pouring in from the rear window, lower corner, driver's side. They have to remove my cap, remove the window, check out the body seams to see if they're the problem or part of the problem, and then figure out how to seal it up.

No problem I figure, I have the best extended warranty my dealer offers, should be covered, right? Nope! Water leaks are specifically excluded.

They're into it already for around $700 and my entire interior is laying on the shop floor next to my truck. They figure it'll likely be around $2,500 before they're done with me. If I just have them put it back together and take it as is I'll still be out $1,000 and the problem not fixed.

I cannot believe that a four year old truck can develop a problem like this and GMC not have a service bulletin or warranty extension to cover this. (actually I can, soak (see what I did there?) the customer for all you can, right?) You'd think they'd be embarrassed that their flagship product could develop an issue like this and find a way to make it right. But no, unfortunately I'm out of luck.

I have to now figure out how to tell my wife that the family vacation plans are now cancelled...

Wait, the extended warranty WONT cover this? What brand of warranty do you have? I just purchased a bumper to bumper (was told it’ll be just like factory) from my dealer. Only to find out hinges aren’t included so needless to say I’m really curious about the brand you have compared to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, rmart said:

I cannot believe that a four year old truck can develop a problem like this and GMC not have a service bulletin or warranty extension to cover this. (actually I can, soak (see what I did there?) the customer for all you can, right?) You'd think they'd be embarrassed that their flagship product could develop an issue like this and find a way to make it right. But no, unfortunately I'm out of luck.

I have to now figure out how to tell my wife that the family vacation plans are now cancelled...

Unless GM has a BUNCH of reports on such an issue, they don't just have bulletins or special coverages. 

• Like 1

I'm tuning in to see what the actual problem is. Its funny that you made it into your 4th year of ownership before developing the problem. Did anything happen to the truck to cause this? Was there deterioration caused by the local environment or a manufacturing defect? Until you solve it, its hard to point fingers. I totally feel for you though. I would not be happy paying for that with my extended warranty either. But I have already learned that extended warranties are about as useless as the handshake from the snake that sold it to you.

Please update with photos once you know more. Hopefully it can be blamed on a defect in workmanship and GM will help you out.

Edited by aseibel

You should contact Chevrolet Customer Service.  They usually will help you out in some way by either covering the repair or at least discounting it.  In this case it sure sounds like a manufacturer defect and not owner abuse or accident so they should offer something. This kind of issue is unacceptable from a 4 year old vehicle.

Here is the list of exclusions to my Ally MajorGuard extended warranty:

• Batteries
  • Battery covers
  • Body parts, panels and rails
  • Bright metal
  • Bumpers
  • Carpet and upholstery
  • Chassis frame
  • Convertible and vinyl tops
  • Correction of air and water leaks
  • Cross members
  • Electric/hybrid vehicle charging units
    and charge cords, or solar panels
  • Exhaust component and catalytic converter
  • Glass
  • Hinges
  • Lamp assemblies and capsules
  • Lenses
  • Light bulbs
  • Molding
  • Odors
  • Paint
  • Rust damage
  • Sealed beams
  • Sheet metal
  • Shock absorbers
  • Squeaks and rattles
  • Tires
  • Trim
  • Weatherstrips
  • Wheels
  • Wind noise

I'll have to talk to my dealer and see if they can help me out with getting hooked up with GMC's version of customer satisfaction...

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

Don’t they need to authorize that kind of dollar amount with you first?

Yeah, they do I guess. And I did. What else was I going to do.

After 6 hours they were already at $700 and they hadn't even pinpointed the leak yet. They knew about where it was coming in but still had to see if it was just the window seal or if it was a body seal as well.

At any rate, if I just had them put it back together I'd be out over $1,000 and no fix. Then I'd have to take it to another shop and do it all over again.

That would be a kick in the nuts if it was just the 3rd brake light although they were fairly certain it was coming in the lower corner of the rear window on the driver's side. Also, there' no damage or staining to the headliner so I don't think it's that high.

3 hours ago, catpartsman said:

Wait, the extended warranty WONT cover this? What brand of warranty do you have? I just purchased a bumper to bumper (was told it’ll be just like factory) from my dealer. Only to find out hinges aren’t included so needless to say I’m really curious about the brand you have compared to mine.

When I bought the warranty I told them I wanted a warranty that would extend the factory warranty. They assured me this would do that. Well, that's what I get for not spending the time of going over it line by line with them. They don't tell you the exclusions in the paperwork. You have to go online to find them.

Just an idea here....  Cancel the warranty (which isn't paying anyway) and take the refunded money from the warranty to help with the cost of repairing your truck.

Edited by Sean3565

8 minutes ago, Sean3565 said:

Just an idea here....  Cancel the warranty (witch isn't paying anyway) and take the refunded money from the warranty to help with the cost of repairing your truck.

This! The extended warranty is one heck of a sucker play. BTW, a body shop would have done this work at a fraction of the price..

• Like 1

When I bought the warranty I told them I wanted a warranty that would extend the factory warranty. They assured me this would do that. Well, that's what I get for not spending the time of going over it line by line with them. They don't tell you the exclusions in the paperwork. You have to go online to find them.

I will be looking at mine tomorrow and will be calling my dealer to discuss if it’s like yours. That is total BS IMO.