Cv boot torn up

So I noticed grease splattered under the front of my truck today, so I start looking to see where it came from and see the the cv boot is the problem. It’s kind of torn and almost looks like it melted over the clamp in spots. Will get it fixed but wondering how this happened to a truck with 11900 miles on it. Thanks IMG_1231.JPGIMG_1233.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, catpartsman said:

Do to have a lift on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leveled with icon coilovers and cognito upper arms installed two years ago.

It is often sabotage. I have seen repair shop owners stab the boots with a knife or hold a blow torch to the boots in order to get return business. There used to be an undercover TV show that had hidden cameras on a vehicle and send it in for repairs. The number of shady shops is surprisingly high. 

They would damage CV boots, put metal shavings in your differential, put oil on a rag and dab it around under your vehicle on the engine and transmission seals, etc. 

• 1 year later...

This just happened to me.... sigh.

Ordered ACDelco 22791460 from a shop near by. A little more expensive than amazon but this is my daily driver. Can't wait around too long. Going to try and replace it tonight. It's a big mess. Not sure how or why it busted. 

CV Joint.jpg

Crazy this is happening on low mileage trucks. Guessing this ain’t powertrain coverage so if it’s going to happen, hopefully it’s during 3yr 36k. 

Now I need to take a look at mine. 9k miles on my 2018, purchased March 2018. 

• 5 months later...

I have gone through three axles on my 2014 Silverado with 180000 km. My 2009 Silverado with 540,000 km still on originals.  The boots tear and if you don't catch it in time you have to replace the whole thing.  First one went with stock suspension.  They other two went with my king shocks and Baja kits upper control arm.  No lift.  I have a bit more travel than stock now but I don't think that is the issue. The cv's are not breaking. Just boot tears. I feel it has more to do with extended use during long road trips. Always seems to show up after towing back from Mexico to Canada for me.