Resonators gone new mesh screens replace them

59 minutes ago, Jstnelson said:

Just an update after driving a few hundred miles; clamping the resonance free pipe is a definite sound improvement. I highly recommend a Flowmaster super 40 and clamped mesh inserts. It gives a great tone outside the truck and, while driving, you can clearly hear a good V8 exhaust tone with no drone at all and still pretty silent on the highway. There are a couple speeds that you can steadily hear an exhaust tone while cruising but it never drones/resonates within the cab. 

Revving the truck with stock exhaust sounded like a vacuum cleaner. 

Revving with Flowmaster Super 40 and stock axle-back had a good tone but sounded like someone was holding a pillow over the tips. You could convince me it was a stock exhaust if I didn’t hear a cold start. 

Revving with Flowmaster Super 40 with closed off mesh resonators sounds loud and mean. Definitely sounds aftermarket. 

I think you nailed the description!

with my Magnaflow it sounds great now but I do hear when it’s a 4 cyl under low load. Keeping the shifter in “7” it stays in V8 mode and is awesome. Once the DFM bypass is released it’ll be perfect. 

I may experiment with different combos of taping the mesh just for kicks. Then I’ll seal em up for good. Amazing how they work really. 

• 1 month later...

So are these trucks with the mesh screen all US designated trucks?  I have ‘19 Silverado High Country it’s a US built CANADIAN truck but I clearly have resonators... and a YUUGE muffler, with adaptive valve on either side.  I want a more v8 sound, but not loud annoying rumbles (I have my 70 Chevelle for that ;) 

What’s the best course?  Factory GM cat back?  Cut the resonators out and see, or swap the garbage can sized muffler for a magnaflow or something.  Definitely going to do a CAI, is the GM one the best option?  It does look sharp and factory

2E237242-64F7-48C4-AA50-06DC99904E72.jpeg

On 5/31/2019 at 10:23 AM, Meltdowndan said:

So are these trucks with the mesh screen all US designated trucks?  I have ‘19 Silverado High Country it’s a US built CANADIAN truck but I clearly have resonators... and a YUUGE muffler, with adaptive valve on either side.  I want a more v8 sound, but not loud annoying rumbles (I have my 70 Chevelle for that ;) 

What’s the best course?  Factory GM cat back?  Cut the resonators out and see, or swap the garbage can sized muffler for a magnaflow or something.  Definitely going to do a CAI, is the GM one the best option?  It does look sharp and factory

Did you ever try it? I was wondering same thing.

On 5/31/2019 at 9:23 AM, Meltdowndan said:

My 19 HC also has resonators like this. 

On 07/06/2019 at 8:09 AM, gmdog2 said:

Did you ever try it? I was wondering same thing.

No I haven’t yet! Lol I was hoping someone had cut there’s off first.  I might have to soon can’t stand this rattle tin can sound.  

• Like 1

No I haven’t yet! Lol I was hoping someone had cut there’s off first.  I might have to soon can’t stand this rattle tin can sound.  

I did it on my JK but a little different beast. Sounds great for a V6[emoji12]..I want to cut them, but kinda got a few things in the works with the truck. So I'll have to wait[emoji853]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i cut those stupid resonators off and put a flowmaster 50 on in place of the muffler. getting some sound but not too loud. cost about 400 bucks total. they put pipe in the place of the resonators.

oh to clarify, i put the flowmaster on first and made ZERO diff. had to cut the resonators off to hear anything. guy at the muffler shop had never seen such insanity.

Edited by Trail Boss 1
  • Like 1

About a month ago I had a local shop install a Super 40, and it sounded better than stock but not better than the Super 40 I had on my 17. When warm/hot starting it would make a fluttering sound, and it was horrible. After reading these posts Sunday evening I went to Lowes and bought 12 Stainless Steel Hose Clamps. I cut up 3 beer cans into 3.125" squares to cover the 6 Resonator spots, using the clamps to hold them in place. WOW! What a freakin difference! I love the sound, and it was fairly cheap and easy to do. No more warm/hot start fluttering too!

• Like 1

I covered mine up tonight with 6 clamps that were 2 3/4 in from home Depot and used a $7 piece of galvanized steel from the HVAC section and cut them in 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 squares.

Even though it was a warm start, I would agree it definitely added a few decibels and some additional growl to the 5.3 on my trail boss. I can't wait to do a cold start tomorrow to hear the difference. I will probably also clamp open the flapper valve as I found on my 16 z71 that also increased the stock sound.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cold start this morning was definitely noticeably louder from the outside. I could hear a little rumble inside the cab, but as I suspected the hum of the duratac tires I have completely drowned out any increase in exhaust noise. If you had regular street tires, you could probably hear the difference.

It did sound a touch louder on hard acceleration getting on the highway.

For the $10 it cost me, sure sign me up.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:46 AM, ShamrockShooter said:

Cold start this morning was definitely noticeably louder from the outside. I could hear a little rumble inside the cab, but as I suspected the hum of the duratac tires I have completely drowned out any increase in exhaust noise. If you had regular street tires, you could probably hear the difference.

It did sound a touch louder on hard acceleration getting on the highway.

For the $10 it cost me, sure sign me up.

What type of clamps did you use?

• 5 months later...