Resonators gone new mesh screens replace them

Here is what mine sounds like with the muffler and flapper delete... the second truck in the video is the 2019 with the exhaust screens still in place...  Based on how it sounds now, would it make sense to cover them up?  I feel like it is loud, and those being there might be the reason why there is zero cabin drone while cruising, compared to the first truck in the video, my 2018, that does have a decent drone...

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Covered my single outlet exhaust using 2.75" Exhaust sleeves (link below) on my 2020 Chevy Silverado with 5.3 V8. Here are three sound clips with stock, 2 mesh resonators covered, and 3 mesh resonators covered. I purchased the exhaust sleeves on amazon for about $10 a piece.

Here's a video with sound clips of stock, 2 front mesh resonators covered and all 3 covered:

Here's a link to the sleeves on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YFCP7L1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime in and say covering the mesh screens makes a huge difference. I recently swapped my factory muffler out for a Dynomax ultraflow and deleted the flapper valve and it was still surprisingly quiet unless you really got on it. Those mesh screens work really at muffling the exhaust. Cold starts are pretty rowdy now haha.

• 2 months later...
On 1/23/2020 at 1:01 PM, Bob Ross said:

I have exhaust clamps that I will be installing soon on a fully stock exhaust. I want to see how this sounds until I can buy my Borla S type system. 

I just muffler swapped my OEM for the Borla S-Type on my 2020 LTZ yesterday. While doing so I also removed the flapper valve. Unfortunately I was really upset when I first started it up. The swap did not produce the sound that I was looking/hoping for. It does have a nice deep growl to it, especially at cold start. Once it warms and dies down you can barely hear it's even there unless you get after it, and even then it's nothing too aggressive. I regret not going after the Borla Atak. I will however to covering those mesh screens and hopefully that helps.

The sound the Borla S-Type added is amazing, it has a very nice deep tone to it. My only issue is that it  isn't very loud. I really hope the covered mesh screen give me that volume i'm looking for and then the swap will be perfect for me. If that doesn't work i will for sure be getting the Atak installed.

On 5/12/2020 at 1:55 PM, RST Mike said:

Covered my single outlet exhaust using 2.75" Exhaust sleeves (link below) on my 2020 Chevy Silverado with 5.3 V8. Here are three sound clips with stock, 2 mesh resonators covered, and 3 mesh resonators covered. I purchased the exhaust sleeves on amazon for about $10 a piece.

Here's a video with sound clips of stock, 2 front mesh resonators covered and all 3 covered:

Here's a link to the sleeves on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YFCP7L1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You sir are the G.O.A.T lol, those sleeves from Amazon fit over the screens as if they were made for them. I purchased 3 but did not install the 3rd one furthest to the rear because I wouldn't have been able to cover it completely due to the exhaust hanger and it would bother my OCD. I can't believe the sound difference. Maybe only 10-20% louder but at least 50% deeper in tone. Came home while the wife was getting groceries out of her SUV and reved it a few times. Her response was "WOW I can't believe that actually made a difference" haha. Best $20 mod ever.

Edit: What exhaust tip is that? Thanks

Edited by batman900

4 hours ago, batman900 said:

You sir are the G.O.A.T lol, those sleeves from Amazon fit over the screens as if they were made for them. I purchased 3 but did not install the 3rd one furthest to the rear because I wouldn't have been able to cover it completely due to the exhaust hanger and it would bother my OCD. I can't believe the sound difference. Maybe only 10-20% louder but at least 50% deeper in tone. Came home while the wife was getting groceries out of her SUV and reved it a few times. Her response was "WOW I can't believe that actually made a difference" haha. Best $20 mod ever.

Edit: What exhaust tip is that? Thanks

Thanks man!  I’m glad it worked out so well for you!! I agree that third one back is frustrating because it’s right next to that hanger. It is pretty cool that it makes that deeper tone. 

I covered my screens with band clamps from Amazon and clamped the flapper valve open a number of months ago.  The sound improvement was just what I was looking for.  No drone, but a little more sound and deeper tone.  If you want an exhaust that is loud, this will not make you happy.  I tried it first with the tape before spending the $60 on clamps. Just my thoughts. I am considering removing the flapper valve all together.