New 10 Speed and 8 Speed

JacobC1983

What are everybody’s thoughts about there new transmissions in their truck?

I have the new 10 Speed mated to the 6.2.

I have had a couple loud clunky downshifts.  One was today with about 1150 miles.

mostly it has been very smooth though.  I hope it doesn’t get worse.  

The 8L90e is a nice trans when it works. My K2 SLT is on its second one at 20,000 miles. I don't think the problems GM have is the trans itself, but the hardware/software controlling it. Sounds like they still have some learning disabilities in this regard for the T1 trucks. That's unfortunate, I may have to finally try another brand.

The 10 speed clunkiness could have something to do with the Dynamic Skip Fire tech and synchronization between this new fuel saving feature and the transmission itself.

Much like some of the clunkiness with our K2 6 and 8 speeds and the AFM working with them.

Overall the 10 speed is much better than my 2015 8 speed (BY A LARGE MARGIN!) and the two 6 speeds in my 2017 and 2016; I feel like this transmission has the ability to be very good.  In fact, it could be excellent after some miles.  But there are the occasional clunky feeling downshifts.  I did have one downshift clunk with this 10 speed this week that I thought, damn, that was hard.  Has only happened once though.

My last truck was a 6 speed and the 10 speed is night and day different. So much smoother. I really started to hate my 6 speed on how jerky it was in between gears. I like a nice smooth ride. I think I can live with a few clunky downshifts here and there. I think this is going to be a great truck overall. Not being biased :rolleyes: but I think the new Silverado is one of the smoothest riding vehicles out there for the $$$ . It drives just as smooth as our Volvo XC90. My buddy just bought a new Escalade and he thought my truck drove better. He was envious of the smooth ride and the power of the 6.2. haha :) 

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:21 PM, dphel27 said:

My last truck was a 6 speed and the 10 speed is night and day different. So much smoother. I really started to hate my 6 speed on how jerky it was in between gears. I like a nice smooth ride. I think I can live with a few clunky downshifts here and there. I think this is going to be a great truck overall. Not being biased :rolleyes: but I think the new Silverado is one of the smoothest riding vehicles out there for the $$$ . It drives just as smooth as our Volvo XC90. My buddy just bought a new Escalade and he thought my truck drove better. He was envious of the smooth ride and the power of the 6.2. haha :) 

IF I were and Escalade owner....  aside from ride and power envy...….  I would be most envious of the Cost savings with the Silverado! 

Escalades have been and always will be an overpriced status symbol!