6.6L GAS for 2010HD?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, WilliamBos said:

Your 6.2 is a light duty gas engine - the 6.6  is a HD engine just like the 6.4 Hemi.  Bets the 6.6 torque is longer and flatter than your 6.2.

Not necessarily.  It just won't be an 11.5:1 compression carryover from the Corvette that wants premium fuel to make what power it does.  Wouldn't surprise me if the new engine makes less power across the curve than the half ton 6.2 but does it on 87 octane swill and passes the durability testing required of trucks with GVWR's well above 20000 lbs just like the current 6 liter does.  This 3/4 and 1 ton stuff for the L96 is the small end of the scale for the platforms this engine actually gets used in.

These engines are for a market that wants to be loaded really heavy in a fleet environment and get run pedal to the floor.  It may match the 6.2s power but I seriously doubt it exceeds it.  

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 3:14 PM, WilliamBos said:

The 6.0 GM is a fuel hog, and gutless too.  

There is some truth to that.  But it is also E85 capable and at the price I get E85 for, the 6.0L has a cheaper cost per mile for fuel than any diesel in a 3/4 ton pickup.  But it is hardly gutless.  If I can pull felled trees across my property with mine so they can be stacked and burned, then the 6.0 is quite adequate. And I have some hilly property.  And it really doesn't strain itself pulling double grain hopper wagons. Sure, not pulling them up the side of Pike's Peak, but still the same hilly area on gravel roads.  No brakes on those trailers either.

My 2500 6.0 has been on E85 exclusively for about 2 years.  Right now, $1.11 a gallon.  I average about 10 mpg (all miles) with the stuff, for about 11 cents a mile fuel cost.   With diesel near me running at about $2.84 right now, a diesel 3/4 ton would have to average 25 mpg to break even on fuel cost per mile.  Not going to happen.  I have never seen a Dmax 3/4 ton "average" 25 mpg for all miles.   Maybe highway mpg with a tail wind.   It is the one reason that I will not look at any vehicle that is not E85 capable.  If some 6.6 gasser isn't, then I will never consider it.  Many fleets base their pickup buying choices in the same manner.  GM knows that, so I will wait and see what they do.  Now, if I was pulling heavy most every day, most of the day, I would have no problem going diesel.  That is what it is made for.  

The 6.0 is not perfect for every scenario.  it is a solid, reliable motor.   While mine is not "fleet" use, I do need the same level of reliability, functionality, and wide range of fuel choices to keep my overall costs down.  It is 11 miles to the closest town.   And when I am out on the semi truck, I need to know that my wife will have a reliable pickup for those rural gravel roads, push snow out for me so I can get the semi truck in the drive, and haul drums of oil or materials well.  She claims to feel more secure with this 2500 than the one time I ventured into 1500 territory and bought one.  That won't happen again.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2

Must be nice to be able to get E85 regularly.

Here there is one station and it's 30 miles away and it's never low enough in price.

To far from the source?

Right now 85 octane in our town is $2.80 a gallon, was recently $3.00.

87 octane is $ 3.00 a gallon, was $3.20.

:)

In northern Illinois I've never seen E85 cheap enough to run. I wish I had access to some of Cliff's cheap E85. Mid last weak I could by 87 at Murphy for $1.92, $1.88 with a discount card. Petro had E85 at $1.89 with an alky content of 72%. They are the cheapest in my area. Mid summer the price spread gets much better but never quite cracks the nut.

Funny aside. Visiting dad Saturday in Iowa and saw pump 93 alky free octane a BUCK a gallon cheaper than Illinois alky free 90 Octane which they label REC GAS here. We have two stations in our area that carry it. In Iowa you can throw a stone and hit a pump. It's just gas in Iowa. :lol: Serious a dollar a gallon more. :loser:  Price on 87 octane E10 is about the same for both states. It's a racket.  

I had a different take on the benefits of E-85. I was interested in the performance gain with my 14 GMC. The truck just ran better, the performance gain was noticeable. I would have paid more for that. I usually paid less. On trips I used reg gas. Win-Win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colossus said:

The 6.0 is not all that gutless.. it's not geared to be a quick accelerator.  It's geared to work hard.  Now you want gutless and can't work hard- the Ford V-10. 

I do not understand what you mean.  Typically, drag cars and trucks designed for towing both have numerically high axle ratios.  For instance, the 4.10 gearset in the 6.0 HD trucks is far more suited for fast acceleration than the lazy 3.08 ratio in some of the 1500 trucks.

• Like 1

Put a 4" crank in an L96 and you've got 402 cubic inches and with the right tuning could easily make about 500 foot pounds of torque.

Cliff, you're running that big truck for less than my daughter's Kia at twelve cents a mile!  I was getting close but they're back up to around $2.25 a gallon and much more for it around here.

13 hours ago, Colossus said:

The 6.0 is not all that gutless.. it's not geared to be a quick accelerator.  It's geared to work hard.  Now you want gutless and can't work hard- the Ford V-10. 

I am not a ford guy but at work we have a 350 dump truck with the v-10 and that moves pretty good for a dump truck plenty of torque.

The v-10 does sound terrible though.

Put some gears behind a L96 and they pull.  I have 4.56's in my 2017 HD with what is in reality a little over a 33" tire.  It's a big step from the 3.73 crap my truck had and still a nice jump from 4.10.  Honestly I should have done 4.88's... this thing pulls hard though for what it is.  

7 hours ago, C/K Man said:

I hear the new 6.6L gas will also be going into the Isuzu FTR and Chevy 6500XD LCF trucks.

Are you sure it wasn't the Silverado 4500HD/5500HD/6500HD's (the not LCF versions), which currently offer the  

L5D    Engine , Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8, B20-Diesel compatible, 350 hp @ 2700 rpm, 700 lb-ft torque @ 1600 rpm. 2900 rpm governed speed

Edited by redwngr