Winter Tire Setups

I am thinking about a set of winter tires for my 2016 Sierra 2500HD. I live in Saskatchewan so its extreme cold, snow and ice. Im tired of sliding around on crappy tires. I need something safe for family.

What is everyone using? 

I’m in Ontario and I just bought a set of BF Goodrich KO2’s.    Never drove them in the snow with my 2500 Duramax but I had them in a Jeep Cherokee and they worked as good as any “winter” tire I’ve tried in the past; Michelin X-Ice and Hankook I-Pike   

I have been using Good Year  Duratracs for ten years. They may not be as good as a dedicated snow tire I don't know as I have never had those but they seem to work pretty good and I don't have to switch them over twice a year. Pretty much the same as the KO2's mentioned. 

If I lived in Canada, I'd go dedicated snow tire for winter.  Nokian Hakkapellita or Bridgestone Blizzak.  My brother's winter beater 03 Impala (no ABS or traction control) is a tank with 4 Nokians on it.   

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-lt2/

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/blizzak-w965

Edited by newdude

I bought a lightly used set of Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT LT load range E.  They are studable.  Deep tread, soft rubber.  Noise levels were near the same as my Yokohama G015 all terrains.  Last winter was my first with them.  They worked fine, though I'll admit, last winter in southern Ontario was not particularly trecherous.  Heck, I did not even bother to get my ABS fixed, and I did not miss it.  I guess the solid traction of the tires helped the cause. 

My previous set was Michelin X-Ice.  They were fine too.  They were less aggressive, and handled a bit more like an all season tire when the roads were dry. 

Honestly, any winter tire, is better than an all terrain or all season tire for winter driving. 

Edited by rkj__

Hi Saskquatch I am in Sask. as well I run Bridgestone Blizzaks on my 1500 I find the wear down really quickly. I think if I had it to do over I would try the Michelin X-Ice we have them on the wifes crv and they still look like new after 3 years.Granted they are two totally different types of vehicles. 

Edited by 03dyna

Ive had Duratracs and BFG All terrains in the past on my half ton and both were good in deep snow, but awful on icy roads and intersections. This is why I want to try a dedicated winter tire. I have read lots of positive things about the Nokian Hakka however you spell it.... They would be my winter choice.

All I ever used in the interior of Alaska for 10 years was BFG AT's.  I am using BFG AT KO2's now year round.  the KO2's are light years ahead of the original BFG AT's.   Great for general snow, pushing snow, and off road on the property.    Great in rain.  I have to deal with several miles of gravel roads just to get from my house to the nearest highway.  Mud, snow drifts, all of it, the KO2's do a great job.  I am sure there is probably another good tire and brand out there, but when something works well, why screw with success.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

I didn’t see cooper M+S mentioned. They are the best I’ve had on an HD and that I’ve plowed with as well. Of the others listed here I have only used the dura tracks which were decent. I have used many different snows on cars and would agree a dedicated winter tire have always given the best overall performance especially on icy conditions. 

I'll throw some incite in here. I live in eastern Canada so we get lots of snow and freezing rain. i have a set of steelies that i keep a dedicated winter on. Also i always had weight in the box. I used train ties cut down to fit perfect in the box. The first 3 winters i ran the Cooper M+S and they were excellent. I only switched to the duratrac because i didn't like the look of the small cooper size and they were decent in the snow. This will be my second winter on the duratracs and so far so good. The only change i would have done now is stud them. 

The cooper was also studdable but definitely didn't need it. The duratrac is excellent everywhere but glare ice so when i go to replace these i will either try something new or throw a set of studded duratracs on this time. All though cooper makes that new AT/W that looks interesting, and i have seen a few other newer winters out there that look promising.