Denali seats conversion

Hi, I'm looking for some advice from some of the guys here with a lot more experience with this than myself. I've never modded or bothered to work on the interior of any of my trucks before.

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 sle z71 with sloth seats and the bench in the centre. I have a chance to get the front and rear seats and centre console out of a 2016 denali 1500.

The general question I have is, is this an easy swap (in terms of unbolting and bolting everything in) ? Are there any specialty tools I would need? Or any modifications to make the centre console work?

My second question is how difficult will it be to get everything I currently have right now to work ( power and heated seats? Are the harnesses plug and play as far as just getting what I have now to continue to work)?

I don't mind not having the features that the seats had when they were in the Denali, just want what I have now.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

How much are you spending on the Denali interior?  It sounds like a fun project if cost isn't an issue.  You may be better off installing Katzkins on your current seats and researching the threads here on installing a centre console. The end result will be similar but guaranteed to be straightforward and probably less frustrating.   The switch to a centre console is a popular modification but there are those of us who still prefer the option of carrying an additional passenger!

If you want leather seats see about the katskinz. This is a cheaper and easier way to get leather and won’t lose any of your functions on your seats. Otherwise if you want the real leather seats I’d look for seats that are from an SLT/LTZ with the same options your seats have. Will be better off then messing with things you don’t have. 

Ok.. I will add some to this thread.  Like what has been said, I have completed the FULL retrofit of adding Heated/Ventilated Seats with Seat Memory AND gaining Memory Features on my 2016 Silverado LT.  

Since your truck is an SLE, you don't have Seat Memory either.  So let's talk about the physical installation.

Super Easy - You'll need a Torx T-27 (Seat Belt Bolt)and T-50 for the Seat bolts.  Jump Seat removal, you'll need 15mm Socket and a small flathead to open covers pieces.

Now - with that said. LOL...  

IF you get Heated/Cooled (or ventilated) Seats with Seat Memory, be prepared as ALL the power adjust functions for the driver seat are routed through the Seat Memory Module.  Which means, if you have power adjust driver seat now, you will lose power adjust driver when plugged in.  If you passenger is manual adjust, this may be plug and play if the power/ground circuits are in the body side of the harness. 

I do make a Seat Memory Bypass for those that bought seats with Seat Memory and want to get them installed and regain the power adjust on the driver side.

Next, there may be issues with the Airbag system. On Non-Seat Memory powered seats, there is a physical seat position sensor that is present whereas, with seat memory seats, the seat position is determined by the module.  So by removing the seat, you have the potential of triggering the airbag light.  

I can go on and on with this if needed for the technical side of things, but you can see where this is already going.  

Best bet...is to find a heated/cooled seats WITHOUT seat memory (I remember hearing someone say they have these seats but not seat memory, so I know they exist).

Hope this helps.

If you want to read on the full retrofit, that thread was posted above

• Like 1

Denali interior was from a wrecked truck, 1500 cdn but colour was wrong so I'm going to go the route that you guys have suggested and look into katskins... Does anyone know if these seat covers are worth attempting yourself or are they a pain and better off paying someone else who has more experience to do?

Thanks for taking the time to explain Phil, it's very much appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, Cwildman said:

Denali interior was from a wrecked truck, 1500 cdn but colour was wrong so I'm going to go the route that you guys have suggested and look into katskins... Does anyone know if these seat covers are worth attempting yourself or are they a pain and better off paying someone else who has more experience to do?

Thanks for taking the time to explain Phil, it's very much appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

From what some have said in a few other threads, its not too bad to add the Katzkins yourself. The biggest issue will be that jump seat which seems to be the toughest part of the job.

I did my Katzkins myself.  Just takes a bit of time and patience.  Take your time, especially with the front seats as you don't want to break tabs that hold the seats to the foam.  There are a couple videos on Youtube that will be of assistance as well.  I'd suggest starting with the back seats and then move to the fronts.  It's been a couple months now but I'm happy to answer questions if I can.

Regarding the jump seat, I have a center console so I can't be of much help there unfortunately.

Also, if you wait, ebay runs coupon codes for 15% off the entire site.  Wait for one of those and you can get a full set for under $500 shipped which is a great deal really.

Edited by colonel00
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello guys, 

just wanted to show you the way I got my seats to get the “ventilation” functionality on my 2017 GMC Sierra. I will attach pictures of what I did. Because the center of the original blade is bigger than the one from the fans I bought, I had to adapt it so that it could work. 91D15996-0EB3-4F04-9274-7BDF027023DA.thumb.jpeg.66030e0d7ebd86d944f3920a9fd57d7c.jpeg

Here I attached the base of the new fan to the one of the original one from the seati

63726384-9FF8-4157-8069-AC0798FBE52E.jpeg

C162FB80-3C37-4699-A5DB-07AFA4A884A5.jpeg

16006641-51FB-44B9-B766-6577A94A294D.jpeg

• 2 years later...