18 F150 3.5 EcoBoost + 10 speed = Fast!

Gorske

Several weeks ago when I went to the track I met a guy with a 2018 F150 Extended Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost with the 10 speed. I ran my two pass in the 12.4s. He told me his truck was running 12.4s as well and would like to run them sometime. Well yesterday he was there with his truck. His trucks mods are a tune, downpipes, cat-back, and running e50 for a total of 1500 dollars in mods. My truck has 6500 dollars in mods. We got to race once and of course I spun all four and ran a 12.76 at 108.36 and he ran a 12.26 at 111.66. My best time that day was a 12.55 at 108.71. His best time that day was a 12.21 at 112. To me that is very impressive out of that little 3.5 with very little done. GM needs a boosted motor in the trucks lol. Here is the time slip from our race together.

received_295004054445243_6d9299655c3c01ee1c946d74ab25e80a5b20dd85.jpeg.jpg

Having owned a tuned ecoboost with a down pipe and exhaust and tune, I’ll take a boosted v8 any day of the week. Or any v8 for that matter. That motor sounded like crap, mileage was crap, and was finicky as hell. I wonder if they fixed the condensation build up in the intercooler that would cause the engine to suck in water and blow cats and damage stuff.

Factory boosted engines are great. Just wish they’d put more effort in the 8’s instead of the 6’s. I’d love to see a detuned lt4 in a reg cab short bed with all wheel drive. Or in a Tahoe. That’d be sweet. If dodge can put the hellcat in a Jeep there’s no reason Chevy can’t put the lt4 in a truck.

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo
Bilstein 5100
Rough Country Level

I used to be a V8 only guy and the bigger the better. The ended the day in 2001 when my wife bought a Acura intagra type r. She still has it. Then she came home with a 2011 Genesis sedan 6 cylinder. It could hang with my Trailblazer ss with the LS2. She still drives it. I can’t wait to see what someone does with the turbo 4 in the GM truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way I’d chose a boosted V6 over a NA V8 in a full-size, is if I lived, and towed heavy at high elevation, where the air gets thin.

• Thanks 1

The 6.5 wasn’t bad in a 1/2 ton, compared to the 350 in the same truck. Fuel mileage wasn’t bad either. We had three, even had a one ton. Again not bad for the time period.

• 1 month later...

Yeah. I really want to get the numbers to work on a Custom Trail Boss this spring but a truck like this is so tempting. I need 4WD but even so for a "loaded" XL you're talking like $40k instead of about $45k for the Chevy. Only thing that bugs me is some of the stuff Ford won't let you get on an XL (in bed lighting and an infotainment unit with CarPlay). We'll see.

If I was still working and needed a truck I’d be all over that truck. I do all my info though my phone, GPS, pandora, I heart radio so blue tooth I’m good. Bed lighting, magnetic flashlight, tri-fold I’m good.