What is unique about the Max Trailering package on the 6.2L?

On 11/6/2018 at 10:23 AM, SierraHD17 said:

Because you can get 8 and 10 speeds from other manufacturers and still get ratios like 3.92 or 3.73.. they arent scared of axle ratios lol.  

Motor has a specific powerband unique to it, the motor turns the first torque multiplier (transmission), then thats connected to a drive shaft and turns another torque multiplier (axle gear), and then it’s connected to another torque multiplier (tires)

I think it’s hysterical that you judge the whole process by a single axle ratio.

• Like 2

Can you show me just one new '18 with the Max Tow for sale?  I looked through 4 different states and found zero, which is partly why I didn't buy a truck with Max Tow.

Can you just order one from the dealer?
GM will continue making the 2018 body style for quite some time.

26926f3ad42f432addf5ec50b846032a.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just picked up a 6.2L Max tow a few weeks ago. I rarely tow. I just wanted a crew cab standard box and this truck was on the lot. 

My transmission usually runs around 150F to 160F under normal driving. My old 5.3 without the cooler always ran at 198. 

I don't understand the complaints about the suspension. The long wheel base combined with the suspension make for an extremely comfortable highway crusing machine. My old truck had a Z71 and it was too rough. The rebound over multiple bumps was terrible. I switched the Z71 for bilsteins 5100s and that solved the pounding over multiple bumps but they were still rough. I wouldn't recommend modifying the max tow suspension for normal driving.

7 hours ago, pronstar said:

Can you just order one from the dealer?
GM will continue making the 2018 body style for quite some time.

Sure you can - but why the hell would you?  When ordering, you won't get all the incentives.  At that price point, you would be paying similar money to a T1 truck.  The ONLY reason to buy a K2 now is for deep incentives...otherwise you will take a massive bath on resale.  I paid 17k under the original sticker...otherwise I never would have bought my truck.

Sure you can - but why the hell would you?  When ordering, you won't get all the incentives.  At that price point, you would be paying similar money to a T1 truck.  The ONLY reason to buy a K2 now is for deep incentives...otherwise you will take a massive bath on resale.  I paid 17k under the original sticker...otherwise I never would have bought my truck.

Same, i think i was at 14k under, and the 2017 in the used lot with 30k Miles was 2k less than mine. No brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found mine on the lot! Couple of months of checking dealers around me. Still wouldn’t give me incentives I could have got with a 5.3. Could have bought a 5.3 slt $11k cheaper. Why the hell would I do that when I tow a 9600 lb travel trailer? I drive it daily so I didn’t want a 3/4 ton diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, 6_2LTZ said:

I just picked up a 6.2L Max tow a few weeks ago. I rarely tow. I just wanted a crew cab standard box and this truck was on the lot. 

My transmission usually runs around 150F to 160F under normal driving. My old 5.3 without the cooler always ran at 198. 

I don't understand the complaints about the suspension. The long wheel base combined with the suspension make for an extremely comfortable highway crusing machine. My old truck had a Z71 and it was too rough. The rebound over multiple bumps was terrible. I switched the Z71 for bilsteins 5100s and that solved the pounding over multiple bumps but they were still rough. I wouldn't recommend modifying the max tow suspension for normal driving.

Lol incorrect. Your 5.3 had a cooler. And your new truck runs as 190-200 as well.

All k2xx v8’s have a trans cooler and they all have a trans thermostat that doesn’t open up until 190.

11 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Motor has a specific powerband unique to it, the motor turns the first torque multiplier (transmission), then thats connected to a drive shaft and turns another torque multiplier (axle gear), and then it’s connected to another torque multiplier (tires)

I think it’s hysterical that you judge the whole process by a single axle ratio.

Because if you ever re-gear a truck beyond what the manufacturer offers ( Like I have multiple times) you can see why I judge.  Being the rear end is a static ratio it effects everything across the board and you end up with more or less torque multiplication depending on which way you want to gear it, in every transmission gear. The powerband of these engines is not particularly unique either beyond what a naturally aspirated V8 can do.  If that were the case you should argue Ford with all their low end power from the boosted engines and broad torque band shouldn't require any deeper axle ratios, yet they offer flexibility with the same transmission GM is using.  Namely you can get any old truck with the 3.5 Eco, the same 10 speed auto GM uses and anywhere from 3.31 to 3.73 gears with roughly the same tire height. It's just torque multiplication which translates into more work and of course better acceleration.   A naturally aspirated V8 would benefit heavily from that but you are adding it yourself if you want it.  I am glad you find that amusing I guess.

Edited by SierraHD17

7 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Lol incorrect. Your 5.3 had a cooler. And your new truck runs as 190-200 as well.

All k2xx v8’s have a trans cooler and they all have a trans thermostat that doesn’t open up until 190.

LOL! Incorrect. 

In the two weeks I've owned the truck, the transmission temperature in the DIC never displayed over 180 and only gets to 170 after a long drive.

28 minutes ago, 6_2LTZ said:

LOL! Incorrect. 

In the two weeks I've owned the truck, the transmission temperature in the DIC never displayed over 180 and only gets to 170 after a long drive.

You just haven't put enough load against it to need a trans cooler or even open the thermostat.

Edited by BB68

24 minutes ago, 6_2LTZ said:

LOL! Incorrect. 

Yeah I'm calling BS. That's basically like posting that your engine coolant only gets to 170.

We have thermostats for our trans fluid! they function just like a coolant thermostat.

So unless yours is stuck open or its so cold where you're at that it just never needs the cooler, which would require like sub zero temps.

3 minutes ago, BB68 said:

You just haven't put enough load against it to need a trans cooler or even open the thermostat.

just cruising at 65mph when it's 20 degrees outside you will still reach the thermostat temp, which is why I'm calling bs

11 minutes ago, BB68 said:

its not an engine, just a fluid pump.

I'm well aware, I'm talking about the transmission thermostat temp.

Totally unloaded, 20 degrees out, cruising at 65mph, the trans will still get up to the thermostat open temp, which is 190 degrees.