What is unique about the Max Trailering package on the 6.2L?

3 hours ago, BB68 said:

You just haven't put enough load against it to need a trans cooler or even open the thermostat.

Thank you. Yes, I understand this. I'm just stating the differences I'm experiencing in my 6.2L MAX TRAILERING package truck vs my 5.3L 6 speed truck. Which is on topic with the original post. 

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

I'm well aware, I'm talking about the transmission thermostat temp.

Totally unloaded, 20 degrees out, cruising at 65mph, the trans will still get up to the thermostat open temp, which is 190 degrees.

It's quite obvious Mr. Truckguy82 does not have a 2018 6.2L with the MAX TRAILERING package. He would not find my experience so incredulous if he owned one himself. 

I just drove (UNLOADED) two 1000 mile days in the last week and not once did the transmission reach 190F. I don't think it even reached 180F. Ambient temps were in the 50s. I was quite surprised since the 5.3L 6 speed I had for OVER 4 YEARS always reached 190, sometimes 194, and would rarely dip below 188 no matter what my driving style or ambient conditions were. 

23 minutes ago, BB68 said:

At your ambient temp your transmission is able to dissipate heat faster than its generating heat.

Exactly. The transmission cooler, that's part of the MAX TRAILERING package, does work beyond the capabilities of a cooler in trucks without the  MAX TRAILERING package.  

1 hour ago, 6_2LTZ said:

Thank you. Yes, I understand this. I'm just stating the differences I'm experiencing in my 6.2L MAX TRAILERING package truck vs my 5.3L 6 speed truck. Which is on topic with the original post. 

It's quite obvious Mr. Truckguy82 does not have a 2018 6.2L with the MAX TRAILERING package. He would not find my experience so incredulous if he owned one himself. 

I just drove (UNLOADED) two 1000 mile days in the last week and not once did the transmission reach 190F. I don't think it even reached 180F. Ambient temps were in the 50s. I was quite surprised since the 5.3L 6 speed I had for OVER 4 YEARS always reached 190, sometimes 194, and would rarely dip below 188 no matter what my driving style or ambient conditions were. 

Exactly. The transmission cooler, that's part of the MAX TRAILERING package, does work beyond the capabilities of a cooler in trucks without the  MAX TRAILERING package.  

Do you know how a thermostat works? It does not allow flow until it opens up and it doesn’t open up until a set temperature is reached. So it doesn’t matter if your trans cooler is made of carbon nanotubes and the size of the empire state building. It doesn’t have any fluid flowing through it until 190 degrees. This is why your 5.3, and every other single person with a k2xx v8 has a transmission temp of 190-200 degrees regardless of driving style or outside temp.

now unless they changed the thermostat for the 2018 max tow, which I certainly haven’t heard of, you’re full of it

Sure you can - but why the hell would you?  When ordering, you won't get all the incentives.  At that price point, you would be paying similar money to a T1 truck.  The ONLY reason to buy a K2 now is for deep incentives...otherwise you will take a massive bath on resale.  I paid 17k under the original sticker...otherwise I never would have bought my truck.
Just curious, so why can't you get all the incentives when you order?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Knowing that the truck will be in production for the better part of a year, means the dealer can keep an eye on regional in-transit inventory to potentially find the truck you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

now unless they changed the thermostat for the 2018 max tow, which I certainly haven’t heard of, you’re full of it

I found a topic from a few years ago. Seems like other members can back up my claim and there is nothing new for 2018. 

On 3/3/2015 at 11:51 PM, CounterMeasure said:

Interesting. I've yet to see my transmission make it over 170 or so. Well, at least the original transmission never did. I'll see what the replacement does tomorrow.

Honestly, if your only worry is transmission temp, consider yourself lucky compared to those of us having them replaced. ;-)

On 11/5/2016 at 8:37 PM, silver sled 16 said:

170 to 180 empty. 200+ towing. According to factory dic gauge. Also noticed towing steep grade engine temp spikes to 220.

On 3/13/2015 at 1:00 AM, redwngr said:

Mine runs much cooler.

40F ambient and an hour+ of running a combination of local rural and freeway and the max temperature was about 175F.

Much warmer than my Allision would have run, but lower than the 200F being reported,

Edited by 6_2LTZ

I'm glad you found a few posts of people stating they saw lower temps. It's likely either they aren't driving far enough, there's a problem with their transmission, or they have a denali that doesn't have a digital read-out and just a vague temp gauge.

All k2xx trucks were designed to run between 190-200.

If you're truck is infact running at 180 like you say it is, it has absolutely nothing to do with having a bigger trans cooler (if you actually have a bigger one which I don't think you do to be honest). It is not designed to run at those temps.

edit:you actually said 150-60 degrees. Which if it's actually true, there are 3 possible reasons.

-your thermostat is stuck open and not functioning

-your truck was built for a different country

-you bought yours used and the previous owner removed the thermostat

What is not the reason that you clearly think is the reason - you have a superior trans cooler

Edited by truckguy82

1 hour ago, pronstar said:

Knowing that the truck will be in production for the better part of a year, means the dealer can keep an eye on regional in-transit inventory to potentially find the truck you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This. My dealer never had my spec in the last two trucks I bought. Rather than order, wait, and overpay 20%, I wait for the good incentives then dealer search. My 2010 and 2015 All Terrains were found this way, and they were basically exactly the spec I was looking for except the 2010 had 3.08 gears and the 2015 had a sliding rear window and GPS which I didn't care for. This route I get the truck I want with my spec, color, powertrain, no wait plus whatever incentives are on that month. Usually I go in around November for 0% + $10,000 off (Canada) about mid model run. The dealer was happy to accommodate both times and never try to sell me something off the lot or push a build order. 

i owned at 2015 Sierra with the 5.3 6 speed trans and when towing a open landscape trailer, my trans temp would always run in the 190's. I have a 2017 Silverado with the max trailering package, 5.3 engine 8 speed trans and even when towing my 32" roughly 7000lbs camper then temperature very rarely rose above 190, usually only when going up a hill. There is an extra transmission cooling system that comes with the max trailering package. 

Edited by Bstevens1084

The Max Trailering package can't be found on lots.  I have the 6.2L , Premium Plus, Z71 and I'm wondering what it would take to come close to duplicating the Max Trailering Package.

So here is what GMC's sight says:

3.42 rear axle ratio
- Yes, this one is a given - and an important upgrade.  Gear swap required.

Integrated trailer brake controller
- Available as a stand alone or part of a couple different packages - nothing unique to the Max Trailering Package

8-speed automatic transmission
- Premium Plus and Denali both have this 

Increased towing and GCWR rating
- Just a rating

Automatic locking rear differential
- Isn't this just a standard feature on all the 4WD trucks?

Handling/Trailering Suspension Package
- Isn't this just marketing for the shocks and springs mentioned below?

Enhanced cooling radiator
- From what I've read, the radiator comes with a transmission cooler integrated into it without this package, and not just the regular flow-through cooler that has been done for decades.  What is different about this "enhanced" cooling radiator?  Different P/N?

Revised shock tuning
-  What is different about these shocks vs. base and Z71?  Would it be an upgrade or downgrade towing wise swapping to these shocks over the Z71 shocks?

Heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR
- What springs are used?  P/N?  How different are they vs stock/Z71?

9.76" rear axle  
- Standard in the 6.2L trucks,

Trailer brake controller
- Yeah, it is listed twice

Trailering Equipment
- Uhhh, don't all the trucks have this?

From what I can tell and guess, there is a lot of marketing and the real differences are:
- 3.42 gears|
- Different shocks, but unsure what makes them different
- Assuming stiffer rear leafs - an easy and I'm guessing cheap swap
- "Maybe" a different radiator or external tranny cooler

Anyone with any insight on this?  

OP, I had the same thoughts as you when I bought my truck. I researched the Max Tow package & found that my truck was very close also.
I had my dealership get me the part number for the NHT equipped heavier leaf springs. So I replaced the leafs and added the tow mirrors.

I can definitely feel the difference but the truck does ride better while pulling heavier trailers.

Here’s a link to the NHT leaf springs.
https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-spring-asm-rr-leaf-23401108.html?Make=GMC&Model=Sierra&Year=2018&Submodel=1500+4WD&Filter=(m=TK15743)

Correct most of the incentives come from in stock vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My vehicles that I have ordered in the past, I have never had to take delivery of it if I didn't want it. Therefore they are "in stock" vehicles..... it would also be no different if I had then do a dealer swap from someone else, my incentives offered to me have always been the same whether it was on that vehicle or a different one out in their lot, or another dealer's lot.
( They were always based on whatever current incentives programs that were currently running.. And which ones you could actually be qualified for)
So I'm not sure if my dealer is screwing me or if yours are screwing you when it comes to incentives?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I believe the best deal can be made on an in-stock vehicle.  All advertised incentives would apply to dealer trades or other sources but I don't pay the advertised price.  Dealers are more willing to negotiate on inventory.  The longer the vehicle the vehicle has been sitting on the lot, the better the deal.  However, settling for a truck that you are not excited about is not a good deal, imo.   

On 11/10/2018 at 9:49 AM, Donstar said:

I believe the best deal can be made on an in-stock vehicle.  All advertised incentives would apply to dealer trades or other sources but I don't pay the advertised price.  Dealers are more willing to negotiate on inventory.  The longer the vehicle the vehicle has been sitting on the lot, the better the deal.  However, settling for a truck that you are not excited about is not a good deal, imo.   

I agree with you 100%  that they will move on negotiating more on a vehicle in stock, especially if it's been there for a while!

I was just saying that the incentives  appear to be the same whether the vehicle is in stock or not, which we both agree on that point also.

I was just curious if somebody knew of a special incentive that only applied to vehicles on the lot vs. ordering a vehicle?

And of course like you said, if you're not happy or excited with your vehicle why would you want to purchase it anyhow, just because it was cheaper? No thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 10:54 AM, 6_2LTZ said:

This is false.  All V8 trucks of the same year have exactly the same transmission cooling.  NHT or not makes no difference.

The difference you are seeing is due to the trucks being different years.  GM changed the design for the later model trucks.  The early trucks used a different thermostat assembly (not sure how much change there was to the design but the old one is discontinued) but the biggest difference was they had a heat exchanger in the hot side radiator tank (which works as a heater most of the time) in addition to the air/oil cooler which ALL V8's have.  In later years they eliminated this radiator tank heat exchanger.  Bypassing this heat exchanger on an older truck will result in lower average temperatures, more in line with reported temps of the newer trucks.  Replacing the thermostat with a lower temp aftermarket unit, if one feels the need, will drop temps even more.

Those are the reasons for the different transmission temps, not that your NHT has a cooler that the last truck did not.  It doesn't.

• Like 1